+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Online citizenship test

bourney0

Aug 9, 2020
Hi there,

I know that it says one has to take the online citizenship test *inside* of Canada.

I would still like to know if and how this is being enforced, e.g. are they checking the user’s IP address, are they looking at the user’s passport stamps, or anything else?

Did anybody manage to take the online test outside of Canada? Any tips would be much appreciated.

Thank you very much!
Even if you used VPN and passed the test outside Canada you run the risk of them finding out afterward. If your entry/exit record for Canada indicated that you were outside Canada the date you took the test then your citizenship could be revoked. It's not worth the risk in my opinion.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hi there,

I know that it says one has to take the online citizenship test *inside* of Canada.

I would still like to know if and how this is being enforced, e.g. are they checking the user’s IP address, are they looking at the user’s passport stamps, or anything else?

Did anybody manage to take the online test outside of Canada? Any tips would be much appreciated.

Thank you very much!
Well, don't do it.

VPN/changing IP doesn't solve the problem of CBSA having both the exit and the entry records. If they find out, you will be slapped with misrepresentation and you can't apply for citizenship for the next 5 years. Further, after 5 years when you try to apply again, there will be ungodly amounts of scrutiny and the timeline might span multiple years.

Further, you might very well get an interview request after the test where they generally request to see all pages of your passport. If you get one of these, you'll be a sitting duck. There is nothing you can tell them to avoid misrepresentation charges.

DO NOT DO IT! Be honest and let IRCC know that you are out of the country and request that the test be rescheduled. Give them a tentative timeline of when you'll be back. They will accommodate that request. This will delay your application a bit but won't destroy it like your other option would.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Mitmit

Sep 27, 2017
I received the online test invite on 14th May. I am really nervous how to pass the test. Can anyone please reply that is the test really difficult. Are the questions in the test like the practice test.

latestbot

Jan 4, 2015
Toronto, ON, Canada
Category........
CEC
I received the online test invite on 14th May. I am really nervous how to pass the test. Can anyone please reply that is the test really difficult. Are the questions in the test like the practice test.
- Study Discover Canada book at least twice.

After that you would want to practice as much as you can & can use the following for mock tests:

- https://www.apnatoronto.com/canadian-citizenship-test.../
- https://www.yourlibrary.ca/citizenship-test-questions/
- https://www.torontopubliclibrary.ca/new.../citizenship.jsp

This site (https://www.citizenshipcanadian.com/mind-map) has some useful mind maps that can help you revise.

Don't be nervous. Just make sure you study well & it will be a breeze, I promise.

Reactions: Genesis76

snowboy

Star Member
May 7, 2014
Mississauga
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-06-2014
Doc's Request.
12-11-2014
Med's Request
20-01-2015
Med's Done....
20-01-2015
Interview........
Decision made on 19th Feb 2015
Passport Req..
10-03-2015

lifein360

Jan 23, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Jan 17, 2017
Med's Done....
Feb 20, 2017
Passport Req..
Mar 20, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
Mar 24, 2017
LANDED..........
Apr 23, 2017
Hi all , I gave the test two days back, but I am concerned with my webcam lol. I tried my best to take a photo of the front of my driving license so that it is focused, but my laptop webcam isn't high resolution. Anyone here who took photos with their laptop webcam and didn't face any issues later on? (or did?)

krishtian

Star Member
Nov 7, 2020
Hi all , I gave the test two days back, but I am concerned with my webcam lol. I tried my best to take a photo of the front of my driving license so that it is focused, but my laptop webcam isn't high resolution. Anyone here who took photos with their laptop webcam and didn't face any issues later on? (or did?)
I couldn't make a decent photo with my external web cam so I switched to laptop and the camera focused to my ID.

lifein360

Jan 23, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Jan 17, 2017
Med's Done....
Feb 20, 2017
Passport Req..
Mar 20, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
Mar 24, 2017
LANDED..........
Apr 23, 2017
I couldn't make a decent photo with my external web cam so I switched to laptop and the camera focused to my ID.
What’s interesting was Chrome wasn’t detecting my external webcam at all which had better quality. I had to resort to the laptop webcam. Anyway. We’ll see I guess

yasir22

Jun 5, 2014
ontario
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
21-05-2014
Doc's Request.
29-04-2015
File Transfer...
SA on 30-07-2014
Med's Request
19-05-2015
Med's Done....
upfront med.: 7-04-2014 and re-med.: 21-05-2015
Interview........
Waived !!
Passport Req..
DM on 2-06-2015, PPR on 05-06-2015
VISA ISSUED...
Visa issued: 02-07-2015, Received: 07-07-2015
LANDED..........
January 2016
What’s interesting was Chrome wasn’t detecting my external webcam at all which had better quality. I had to resort to the laptop webcam. Anyway. We’ll see I guess
It took me around 10 attempts to get a good picture and when I did, my link got expired. Had to do it all over again and went with a mediocre picture.

Swift Turtle

Dec 29, 2020
Hi everyone,

I wanted to hear your thoughts regarding the situation I'm currently in.

I completed my test on the April 16, 2021. Less than a month after completing my test I received an invitation for an interview that's scheduled for tomorrow and was asked to provide my passport pages to the Officer. However, earlier this week, just three days prior to my interview my background checks status in the new application tracker has been changed from "completed" to "in progress", which is very strange because according to the tracker my background checks were compete since January 20, 2020. I cross-referenced the tracker with my GCMS notes and noticed that IRCC had set my criminality status to "passed" after receiving my fingerprints on the same date that my background check had been set to completed in the tracker/ECAS; January 20, 2020.

Has this happened to any of you? I'm almost certain that they're going to ask for a second set of fingerprints since my first set have been expired since January of this year...I'm hoping that I'll get the chance to ask the CO about this during the interview tomorrow, if there's enough time of course, but I wanted to hear your thoughts on this.

nila001

Star Member
Nov 19, 2017
Hi guys,

I am going to take my test soon and plan to use my work laptop camera. What is this external camera thingy you guys are talking about? Is chrome the best browser to take the test? And what do you guys mean when you said 'chrome did not recognize external cam'?

latestbot

Jan 4, 2015
Toronto, ON, Canada
Category........
CEC
Hi guys,

I am going to take my test soon and plan to use my work laptop camera. What is this external camera thingy you guys are talking about? Is chrome the best browser to take the test? And what do you guys mean when you said 'chrome did not recognize external cam'?
External camera is the webcam you attach via USB & is not built in (eg Logitech C920). Yes, you can use your work laptop & use chrome browser.

Reactions: nila001