+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Online citizenship test

andrews.juchem

Star Member
Oct 16, 2020
Hello everyone,

I wrote my citizenship test on August 7, 2021. I immediately got the results via e-mail - PASS. Test status was updated to COMPLETE. On August 12 I received an email requesting all pages of my passport (old and new passport). On the same day itself I sent them the scanned copies.

Today it is September 15, 2021 (over a month) and I have not heard anything from them at all. Is this normal waiting time? I was under the impression that within couple of weeks I would either get a request for an interview or alternatively some information for the Oath Ceremony.

My online status says:
  • Language skills
    In progress
  • Physical presence
    In progress
  • Citizenship test
    Completed
  • Background verification
    Completed
  • Prohibitions
    In progress
  • Citizenship ceremony
    Not started
I'm in the same situation as you. I completed the test on the same day (August 7, 2021) and the Citizenship test status was set to complete a few days after. Nothing else happened after that (all other statuses are In progress as you indicated). From what I can see on the spreadsheet, there are people that completed the test in June 2021 and are still waiting, so I'm expecting that it might take a couple of months.

theurn15

Star Member
Feb 3, 2016
Hi guys, if you would please give me a moment ? this is the progress of my citizenship application by time:

1)so I sent them a request to do the exam outside Canada and they responded with :
"An absence of Canada has been added to your file. Please send us proof of your departure from Canada at your earliest convenience.
Please send us a copy of your plane ticket, boarding pass and passport entry stamp after your return to Canada.
To proceed with the online test from your location outside Canada you can access the link in the test invitation that was previously emailed to you within the specified time period."

2)I sent the explanation letter with departure proof (attached) only to this form:
https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/contacts/web-form.asp

3)the form responded with auto message.

4) Later, they updated the test to completed after two days of the exam.

Do you think they have letter and every thing is ok?

andrews.juchem

Star Member
Oct 16, 2020
Hi guys, if you would please give me a moment ? this is the progress of my citizenship application by time:

1)so I sent them a request to do the exam outside Canada and they responded with :
"An absence of Canada has been added to your file. Please send us proof of your departure from Canada at your earliest convenience.
Please send us a copy of your plane ticket, boarding pass and passport entry stamp after your return to Canada.
To proceed with the online test from your location outside Canada you can access the link in the test invitation that was previously emailed to you within the specified time period."

2)I sent the explanation letter with departure proof (attached) only to this form:
https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/contacts/web-form.asp

3)the form responded with auto message.

4) Later, they updated the test to completed after two days of the exam.

Do you think they have letter and every thing is ok?
IRCC is currently allowing people to take the Citizenship test from outside of Canada, so you should be okay (especially if the test status was set to Complete). It is the first time, though, that I hear about them asking for a copy of the airplane tickets. When I took the test last month, I just sent them an email asking for permission to take the test from abroad, and they reply to go ahead. They didn't ask anything else. Maybe each office has a different procedure. Who knows...

Alkoya75

Nov 24, 2020
Refer here. Interview is optional which is good to avoid delay. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/become-canadian-citizen/citizenship-test/next.html

Once you submit the test, the result page will immediately display your score. You need to get at least 15 out of 20 questions correct to pass the test.
This score is
  • temporary
  • not your official test result
In the upcoming months, we’ll
  • review and confirm your official test result
  • contact you with your next steps

After the test
If you pass the test
You may have to do an interview with a citizenship officer.
  • If you do, we’ll contact and schedule you for an interview.
  • If you do not have to do an interview, please wait for us to invite you to your citizenship ceremony.

Seems they already have the process defined hence no confusion as per the steps given.
well its not for you to decide whether to attend interview or not, the option is theirs and theirs only

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
well its not for you to decide whether to attend interview or not, the option is theirs and theirs only
I meant on interview invites being called for it is optional in the application process. I meant that interview is not for everyone as officers are not calling everyone for the interview.

Correct, if there is an interview then we dont have choice and we have to attend. Attending interview is no optional.

ayushagg

May 6, 2021
I'm in the same situation as you. I completed the test on the same day (August 7, 2021) and the Citizenship test status was set to complete a few days after. Nothing else happened after that (all other statuses are In progress as you indicated). From what I can see on the spreadsheet, there are people that completed the test in June 2021 and are still waiting, so I'm expecting that it might take a couple of months.
Thanks Andrew. Did you get an email requesting the copies of your passport as well?
If I am not mistaken, I saw some people mention getting the invite or some sort of communication within a couple of weeks of writing the test.

raaj051

Star Member
Feb 20, 2021
Hi, Can anyone please help / advise how do I scan passport pages below 5MB size and attached. Step by step guidance will be highly obliged.

Reactions: SShehata

andrews.juchem

Star Member
Oct 16, 2020
Thanks Andrew. Did you get an email requesting the copies of your passport as well?
If I am not mistaken, I saw some people mention getting the invite or some sort of communication within a couple of weeks of writing the test.
No. I haven't received any email asking for additional documents. I've already attached copies of my passport when I filed the application, so I'm not sure if they will ask again.

Jetrocker

Jul 30, 2013
Hi, I'm going to write my test in a few days. But prior to that, I want to clarify few things. Please find my queries below:

1) In order to access the test, I would have to click on the link given in the PDF test instruction letter right?

2) Does the webcam needed for the test have to be in a particular configuration or any webcam is fine?

3) Do I need to download any software similar to Flash Player for the test to run without glitches? I no longer have Flash Player as Adobe has ended it but just want to make sure if I need to have any other software?

4) I wear prescription glasses. So would it be ok if I have my glasses on while taking my photograph and throughout the test?

5) As for the ID proof, do I need to take both front and back photos of the id or only the front?

6) As I have allergy problems, I tend to sneeze sometimes. So in case I have to unavoidably sneeze in between the test, would it create any issues with IRCC?

7) Finally, which are the best websites for practice tests?

Sorry for the long list of queries, but just doing my due diligence before writing the actual test.

Last edited:
Reactions: andrews.juchem

andrews.juchem

Star Member
Oct 16, 2020
Hi, I'm going to write my test in a few days. But prior to that, I want to clarify few things. Please find my queries below:

1) In order to access the test, I would have to click on the link given in the PDF test instruction letter right?

2) Does the webcam needed for the test have to be in a particular configuration or any webcam is fine?

3) Do I need to download any software similar to Flash Player for the test to run without glitches? I no longer have Flash Player as Adobe has ended it but just want to make sure if I need to have any other software?

4) I wear prescription glasses. So would it be ok if I have my glasses on while taking my photograph and throughout the test?

5) As for the ID proof, do I need to take both front and back photos of the id or only the front?

6) Finally, which are the best websites for practice tests?

Sorry for the long list of queries, but just doing my due diligence before writing the actual test.
1) Yes. You will use the link provided in the PDF. Once you open the link, you will have to fill out some fields such as your application ID, UCI, etc.
2) Any webcam should be fine as long as they can see you clearly. There shouldn't be anyone in the room with you.
3) No Flash Player is needed. You just need a browser. Google Chrome is recommended.
4) I'm not sure about this one, but I think you should be wearing your classes if your documents show you wearing them.
5) You will have to use your webcam to take a picture of your ID (front and back) when you take the test. When I took the test, I didn't have to upload any files.
6) In my case, I read the official textbook and used an iPhone app for practice questions. There is a thread on this blog where someone lists some URLs that can be used for studying.

Rai@81

Sep 26, 2019
Hi guys, I passed the test with 18/20. I had to hold the ID in front of my face/hiding most of my face for it to be more visible as per their specs. Hope it is fine. I need to email all pages of passport in a few days.
Hey bro I did test last night is happening 2 things during the test, first I forgot take photo of my id ,and also electrical cut during test, but after can still finish my test ,online say passed ,but not get any email or any things any ideas,

Rai@81

Sep 26, 2019
Hello everyone,

I wrote my citizenship test on August 7, 2021. I immediately got the results via e-mail - PASS. Test status was updated to COMPLETE. On August 12 I received an email requesting all pages of my passport (old and new passport). On the same day itself I sent them the scanned copies.

Today it is September 15, 2021 (over a month) and I have not heard anything from them at all. Is this normal waiting time? I was under the impression that within couple of weeks I would either get a request for an interview or alternatively some information for the Oath Ceremony.

My online status says:
  • Language skills
    In progress
  • Physical presence
    In progress
  • Citizenship test
    Completed
  • Background verification
    Completed
  • Prohibitions
    In progress
  • Citizenship ceremony
    Not started
Please help me link to my account

raaj051

Star Member
Feb 20, 2021
My Fingerprints was done on January 2020 and test done on August 2021. So my question is this, do I need to give fingerprint again and is it necessary to do after one year ?