+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Online citizenship test completed, waiting for next steps

Nova Scotia

Star Member
Jul 13, 2020
Thanks for the response! Good to know Im not alone in this! Did you ask CIC if your application is routine? Im also wondering what routine applications mean in this case, since I assume that all background checks have been completed prior to the test invitation.

Can i ask which office you are in? Im in the Montreal office and it seems that we are particularly slow...
You are not alone for sure. Me and @zeyzey6 are in the same area. I completed my test last month but residency and language are still not started. Basically they've done nothing other than sending the test invite... gonna be another long wait for sure...

minijoo

Star Member
Jan 7, 2021
Greater Vancouver Area
Hi, I completed my test almost a month ago, and I havent heard anything since.

I called IRCC and they said they are running residency, language and one other check (I forgot the name, but they mentioned it had to do with CRA, checking if all my taxes has been paid and such).

I heard that routine applications will take 2-4 weeks after the test to get a DM. Does that mean I am a non-routine application?

Thanks,
The call centre agent told me that everything looked normal and routine but I don't know who to trust anymore. Like you, I also don't know what routine means. I asked her how much longer the wait would be as it states on their website that the wait time from test to oath is 3 months. But of course she told me that was the time frame pre-covid. My office is Halifax. I'm a September 2019 applicant and I also thought that they would have completed residency and language prior to the test invitation. Good luck with your application, mine is a lost case but I hope you'll get to hear some good news soon.
I had to wait about 3 months after I took my test on January 4 to get invited to my oath ceremony. I am not entirely sure about the 3-month period being for pre-covid only, but my timeline closely followed it. Please see my signature for full timeline.

luvtrump

Champion Member
Dec 21, 2020
Hi, I completed my test almost a month ago, and I havent heard anything since.

I called IRCC and they said they are running residency, language and one other check (I forgot the name, but they mentioned it had to do with CRA, checking if all my taxes has been paid and such).

I heard that routine applications will take 2-4 weeks after the test to get a DM. Does that mean I am a non-routine application?

Thanks,
Sending email and calling Cic is fruitless. They are giving general responses to everyone. They themselves have no idea what they should do to reduce the back log as they are under staffed and nobody can make them go to work . It could take 2 years and even more . Dont keep your hopes high. Montreal office is the slowest and the worse. They told me 3 months oath after my test in Jan 2020 now its April 2021 lol I'm august 2019 applicant .

Reactions: little_sunshine123

Swift Turtle

Dec 29, 2020
Hi everyone,

I finally received a test invite on the 13th of April, 2021 after waiting for an entire for a new test date and I just passed the test a few hours ago.

However, I checked my ECAS and noticed that there hasn't been any updates to my file since I was originally scheduled to take the test on April 1, 2020. I also assume that IRCC will ask me for new fingerprints since the ones I submitted in December 2029.

Is anybody else in the same situation as far as there ECAS is concerned? I've come across several people in this forum who've claimed to receive an oath invitation within a week of completing the test.

little_sunshine123

Feb 8, 2021
I had to wait about 3 months after I took my test on January 4 to get invited to my oath ceremony. I am not entirely sure about the 3-month period being for pre-covid only, but my timeline closely followed it. Please see my signature for full timeline.
Thanks, that's really good to know. It seems like there is a longer wait than I thought (I was seeing people getting DMs a week or 2 after the test). I guess it's normally a longer wait.

Thanks,

little_sunshine123

Feb 8, 2021
Sending email and calling Cic is fruitless. They are giving general responses to everyone. They themselves have no idea what they should do to reduce the back log as they are under staffed and nobody can make them go to work . It could take 2 years and even more . Dont keep your hopes high. Montreal office is the slowest and the worse. They told me 3 months oath after my test in Jan 2020 now its April 2021 lol I'm august 2019 applicant .
Sorry to hear that. Yah, it seems that they have a generic response for replying on the application process unfortunately. I hope you hear back soon, I guess. it's going to be a couple of months wait for me ....

little_sunshine123

Feb 8, 2021
You are not alone for sure. Me and @zeyzey6 are in the same area. I completed my test last month but residency and language are still not started. Basically they've done nothing other than sending the test invite... gonna be another long wait for sure...
Thanks, it's really good to know this. I was getting a bit worried because I saw some people getting DMs just a few weeks after the test. I guess it's normally a longer wait (few months). Hopefully we will hear back soon ..

Reactions: Nova Scotia

eastguy123

Star Member
Oct 26, 2019
During my online test, I unfortunately forgot to close PDF file for test invite and on chrome only one test tab was for duration of test? Will I have to test again or would consider as cheating? PDF file open was test invite information file downloaded from my email