+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Online Certificate Studies from a Canadian University

ahmedbadran

Star Member
Jan 31, 2019
Hi,

Did your application get approved? I am looking into enrolling in a continuing education certificate program for 1 academic year. I am really confused if that would be considered for CRS points.

Could you also please let me know if you got a transcript listing all the courses, grades, and the number of credits from McMaster University?

Thanks!
Not yet, still under process.
The transcript did include all the required details (courses, grades .. etc)

jackiej1111

Sep 1, 2020
Did you do the certificate or diploma program?
if certificate, how long does it take (what if I completed in 4 months?)
if diploma, if it took longer than 8 months, did you require a study permit?

I am looking for the data certificate from mcmaster which required 15 academic credits.

s_canada

Sep 9, 2020
Hi Ahmed,

Thank you for your reply. I started my Business Administration online diploma at McMaster in September. I have few questions about how to answer the below questions in the express entry profile?

1. Country of study - Would this be your home country? As the course is completely online, I have to make sure I do not get any additional points for education in Canada
2. Was XYZ awarded a Canadian degree, diploma, or certificate for this period of study? Would this be yes as it is a diploma from a Canadian University?

Also, how long did you take to finish your certificate? I am planning to finish my diploma this May making it an 8-month diploma which I hope is considered a 1-year program.

ahmedbadran

Star Member
Jan 31, 2019
Hi Ahmed,

Thank you for your reply. I started my Business Administration online diploma at McMaster in September. I have few questions about how to answer the below questions in the express entry profile?

1. Country of study - Would this be your home country? As the course is completely online, I have to make sure I do not get any additional points for education in Canada
2. Was XYZ awarded a Canadian degree, diploma, or certificate for this period of study? Would this be yes as it is a diploma from a Canadian University?

Also, how long did you take to finish your certificate? I am planning to finish my diploma this May making it an 8-month diploma which I hope is considered a 1-year program.
I am still waiting for my application processing as it has been delayed due to the lockdown.
As far as I remember, I chose Canada for no. 1 and No for no.2 but I am not 100% sure but just calculate your expected points with a point calculator and ensure that your are claiming for the same amount of points in your application.
Also you must clarify this in your Letter of Explanation.

Best of Luck.

s_canada

Sep 9, 2020
I am still waiting for my application processing as it has been delayed due to the lockdown.
As far as I remember, I chose Canada for no. 1 and No for no.2 but I am not 100% sure but just calculate your expected points with a point calculator and ensure that your are claiming for the same amount of points in your application.

Best of Luck.
Thank you for sharing the info. If you chose Canada as country of education and no for the Canadian degree question, you must have seen another question which asks for degree evaluation. How did you get your degree evaluated? I believe there is no option on WES Canada website to evaluate degrees from Canadian Universities. Also, could you clarify on how many months did you take to finish your certificate?

Thank you, appreciate your timely responses!

ivicts

Jun 3, 2020
Singapore
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
25-04-2023
LANDED..........
11-04-2024

Best of Luck.
Hi Ahmed, when can you add the certificate to the EE profile and get the additional points?
1. As soon as the last course is completed and the unofficial transcript is updated with the grades
or
2. Wait for "apply for graduation" until we get the official transcript and when the certificate is conferred

Reactions: s_canada

ahmedbadran

Star Member
Jan 31, 2019
Hi Ahmed, when can you add the certificate to the EE profile and get the additional points?
1. As soon as the last course is completed and the unofficial transcript is updated with the grades
or
2. Wait for "apply for graduation" until we get the official transcript and when the certificate is conferred
I applied using the unofficial transcript only. I believe it's been accepted already.

ivicts

Jun 3, 2020
Singapore
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
25-04-2023
LANDED..........
11-04-2024
Thank you for sharing the info. If you chose Canada as country of education and no for the Canadian degree question, you must have seen another question which asks for degree evaluation. How did you get your degree evaluated? I believe there is no option on WES Canada website to evaluate degrees from Canadian Universities. Also, could you clarify on how many months did you take to finish your certificate?

Thank you, appreciate your timely responses!
Hi S_canada,

I believe you should pick your home country as the country of education and yes for the Canadian degree question, so that they do not ask you for the evaluation. However, what Ahmed said is the best - you should just compare the CRS on your EE profile to the one you calculated in the CRS tool and make sure that they are equal. You can finish the certificate in 8 months by taking 3 courses in one term and 2 courses in another. This is quite a heavy workload though.

ivicts

Jun 3, 2020
Singapore
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
25-04-2023
LANDED..........
11-04-2024
I applied using the unofficial transcript only. I believe it's been accepted already.
hi @ahmedbadran, how is your application? Do you get your PR already?
Also, when you filled out the level of education for this certificate, did you select "One-year program at a university, college, trade, or technical school, or other institute"?
If not what options did you select for this certificate?
The options can be viewed here: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/eligibility/criteria-comprehensive-ranking-system/grid.html (search "level of education").
I finished the certificate in a span of two terms which is eight months, so I am not sure whether it will be eligible as a one-year program.

Last edited: