+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

one-year pilot OWP for spouses and common-law partners

Markito

Oct 6, 2015
Ponga said:
So...you've decided to submit an Inland application?!?!?!

Are you aware that your husband is advised NOT to leave Canada (for any reason, including vacation) during the ridiculous 27 month process?

*sigh*

If you insist on the Inland application, just include the OWP in the same envelope and mail it to the Mississauga address. His OWP will be issued ~ 4 months after CIC has sent you your AOR email. It is not based on the approval of the sponsor, only on CIC's receipt of the Inland application.

Be sure that you're sending the latest version of all forms, all required signatures are in place, and that you've paid the full amount for the OWP ($255).

If either application is returned, because of an outdated form or missing signature, or incomplete payment, it could jeopardize his implied status.

question - is the most recent version of form imm 5710 (owp) - 04/2015?

beturfewchair

Nov 7, 2015
Ponga said:

Are you aware that your husband is advised NOT to leave Canada (for any reason, including vacation) during the ridiculous 27 month process?

*sigh*

If you insist on the Inland application, just include the OWP in the same envelope and mail it to the Mississauga address. His OWP will be issued ~ 4 months after CIC has sent you your AOR email. It is not based on the approval of the sponsor, only on CIC's receipt of the Inland application.

Be sure that you're sending the latest version of all forms, all required signatures are in place, and that you've paid the full amount for the OWP ($255).

If either application is returned, because of an outdated form or missing signature, or incomplete payment, it could jeopardize his implied status.

Hi Pongo,

At this point Im taking care of my elderly mother who was just in a car accident and my 4 year old daughter while trying to attend work. When I first returned to Canada from the US that was not the case. Furthermore, my husband is still trying to maintain our home in the US with only his income. I m supposed to start a job on Monday and had to take a night shift to take my daughter to school and pick her up, but I m very concerned about leaving my daughter alone with my mother in the evenings. I dont think she can manage very well. We took all of these things into consideraation when making our decision. In addition, I spoke to an immigration consultant this week and she told me that since my husband is from an Visa exempt country (US ) there should be no issues as long as he is only going for a few days or so.

I know what immigration says about leaving the Country but hopefully this will all work out for us.

Pongo you mentioned that the OWP would be issued after the AOR email. What if I dont get the AOR until 2 months? Do I wait 4 months after the AOr? That would be a total of 6 months? From what I have been seeing in the posts it looks like for an example if you get the AOR 2 months after you put in your application you have 2 more months to recieve your OWP.

Thanks for all your advice.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I'm so sorry to hear about your mother's condition. I wish her a speedy recovery.

Regarding leaving Canada...it really is a `roll of the dice', because even a person from a visa-exempt country can still be refused re-entry.

When a person with an active PR application seeks re-entry into Canada, they must be prepared to convince the border officer (just in case) that they understand what `Dual Intent' is and that they will comply, should their sponsorship application be denied. This is why it is so risky for an Inland applicant to leave Canada. I agree that it shouldn't be a problem, but it is NOT guaranteed!

Regarding the OWP, it should be issued ~ 4 months after CIC has received the Inland application and OWP. Even if you don't get the `official' AOR, the delivery confirmation date will be, in essence, your AOR date...UNLESS, your application or OWP is returned to you because of an error on your part.

Good luck!

kid-

Dec 21, 2014
beturfewchair said:
Pongo you mentioned that the OWP would be issued after the AOR email. What if I dont get the AOR until 2 months? Do I wait 4 months after the AOr? That would be a total of 6 months? From what I have been seeing in the posts it looks like for an example if you get the AOR 2 months after you put in your application you have 2 more months to recieve your OWP.
Hi, the OWP will be issued 4 months since the RECEIVAL of your application. So for example, I sent off my application on July 11th, 2015. It was received on July 15th. I called CIC today, and they confirmed my OWP was mailed on Nov. 13th. We got AOR 2 months after CIC received the application. How do I know this? I asked CIC in specific if it was 4 months from receival or AOR. Good luck, and I wish your mother a fast recovery.

kid-

Dec 21, 2014
screech339 said:
That is not true regarding when CIC gets your application. CIC has to receive your application before the visa expires in order to get "implied status". The date of when you mailed it does nothing to your visa status.

You dont get "implied status" because Canada post or any carrier lost your application in the mail.

You could wait until the day before visa expires and apply online. As long as CIC gets your application, whether it is by mail or online, before your current visa expires, you get "implied status".
I have to disagree. I've done this twice within the last 12 months, first because of a mess up at work after which I had to apply for a change of status from worker to visitor. My status expired on Jan. 1st, 2015, CIC received on Jan 5th. All went well, no complications, got my visitor visa like 6 months later.

Next time I sent my application to extend my visitor visa 3 days before the expiration date, because of CIC/CBSA mess up. No problem this time either.

Obviously it's IDEAL to send your stuff in early and within the time CIC suggests, but you won't be kicked out of the country for this. I would love to hear if you have personal experience that differs from mine.

ArambulaC

Nov 16, 2015
Hello there,

I am writing to this forum, because I found all these immigration procedures extremely complicated and I would like to know if I have any chance to receive the OWP with the four months frame or my current situation is more complicated than I thought.

I have applied under the Spouse Sponsorship (taking advantage of the pilot OWP) twenty-three (23) days after my status was confirmed by CIC as lost, but within the ninety (90) days to pursue a restoration of status.

Your comments and advises are highly appreciated. ;)

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ArambulaC said:
Hello there,

I am writing to this forum, because I found all these immigration procedures extremely complicated and I would like to know if I have any chance to receive the OWP with the four months frame or my current situation is more complicated than I thought.

I have applied under the Spouse Sponsorship (taking advantage of the pilot OWP) twenty-three (23) days after my status was confirmed by CIC as lost, but within the ninety (90) days to pursue a restoration of status.

Your comments and advises are highly appreciated. ;)

You needed to have legal status on the day that CIC received the OWP. Since you were without status for 23 days, you will not qualify for the OWP. The 90 day window to apply for ROS is not a legal status in Canada.

If you have alpplied for ROS and it is approved, you can then submit the OWP again. Make sure to pay the complete fee for the OWP, which is $255.

ArambulaC

Nov 16, 2015
Hi Ponga,

Thank you for your comment, I have two more questions for you.

What do you mean with ROS? and Is the Spouse or Common Law partner in Canada (SCLPC) considered a ROS From? or there is a specific form under the name ROS. I am no sure!

I remember that I sent two applications together to Mississauga; 1) SCLPC and 2) Application to Change Conditions, Extend my Stay or Remain in Canada as a Worker. Is one of these two a valid ROS Form?

I appreciated your response.

ArambulaC

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
ArambulaC said:
Hi Ponga,

Thank you for your comment, I have two more questions for you.

What do you mean with ROS? and Is the Spouse or Common Law partner in Canada (SCLPC) considered a ROS From? or there is a specific form under the name ROS. I am no sure!

I remember that I sent two applications together to Mississauga; 1) SCLPC and 2) Application to Change Conditions, Extend my Stay or Remain in Canada as a Worker. Is one of these two a valid ROS Form?

I appreciated your response.

ArambulaC
ROS : restoration of status. This is for people who lost their legal status in Canada and need to get their status in Canada legal again. There is a 90 day window to submit a status of restoration application. Even if the application is submitted, doesn't mean their status is legal. Their status is not legal until CIC grant you legal status back.

ksdledesma

Jan 20, 2012
Hi Everyone. I just received an email from CPCV saying that my OWP application was declined because my application for PR was returned to me. However, we haven't received any return mail or any communication regarding my PR application. I tried calling their call centre but it keeps on saying that my call cannot be completed at this time. Is there another way for us to contact them?

Thank you!

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ksdledesma said:
Hi Everyone. I just received an email from CPCV saying that my OWP application was declined because my application for PR was returned to me. However, we haven't received any return mail or any communication regarding my PR application. I tried calling their call centre but it keeps on saying that my call cannot be completed at this time. Is there another way for us to contact them?

Thank you!
Well, aside from re-dialing the call centre, ad nauseam, you might have your sponsor contact his/her local MP and ask them to contact CIC on your behalf. They have a direct line (email) with CIC and if this is a stupid mistake on their part, you need to get it fixed ASAP...because it could impact your legal status in Canada, depending on when your status was going to expire.

ksdledesma

Jan 20, 2012
I was able to reach the center. Apparently they only accept calls from Canadian numbers so I had to find a pay phone to reach them. Unfortunately, the representative I spoke with doesn't have any information why my application for permanent residency was returned to me nor why I haven't received any mail. They said that sometimes it does get lost or delayed. His advice was to file another application for PR and OWLP. My concern is that it means I will have to wait another four months for my application to be processed. That's quite a long time to be jobless. I'm also worried about submitting another application without knowing first what we did incorrectly the first time around.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ksdledesma said:
I was able to reach the center. Apparently they only accept calls from Canadian numbers so I had to find a pay phone to reach them. Unfortunately, the representative I spoke with doesn't have any information why my application for permanent residency was returned to me nor why I haven't received any mail. They said that sometimes it does get lost or delayed. His advice was to file another application for PR and OWLP. My concern is that it means I will have to wait another four months for my application to be processed. That's quite a long time to be jobless. I'm also worried about submitting another application without knowing first what we did incorrectly the first time around.
Unbelievable, yet...not...at the same time.

I'd definitely get your sponsor's MP involved to at least contact someone at CIC (besides the call centre agents) to find out why this has happened.

The most common reason for an application being returned are:

1. Outdated form(s)
2. Missing signature(s)
3. CIC mistake, since there was no reason why it should have been returned.

I might add that these are NOT listed in any particular order. Some believe that #3 really should be #1.

When does your current status expire?

PTJ

Jun 8, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ksdledesma said:
Why not log on to ECAS to check if there's any update on why the application was returned?

beturfewchair

Nov 7, 2015
Ponga said:

*sigh*

I know this question has been asked before, however I will ask again. Where do I locate the OWP form. I know that it is the IMM 5710 form but everytime I search it or google it refers me to the form tochange conditions Extend my stay or remain in Canada as a worker. Is that the correct form?
Also can I apply online or does it have to be paper?
When I pay for the application where do I pay? under open work permits?

Any help would be appreciated
Thanks