+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

one-year pilot OWP for spouses and common-law partners

Maan997

Oct 21, 2015
kid- said:
Hi all, I'm sending you a link to a Google Doc made by inland applicants. It clarifies the OWP process as well, what to send, where and how to pay etc.

INITIAL DOCUMENTS TO BE ENCLOSED IN THE APPLICATION:
  • Document Checklist [IMM 5556], February 2015
  • Application to Change Conditions, Extend my Stay or Remain in Canada as a Worker [IMM 5710], April 2015
  • Statutory Declaration of Common-Law Union [IMM 5409], April 2015 ONLY IF YOU ARE APPLYING AS A COMMON-LAW PARTNER
  • Use of a Representative [IMM 5476], June 2015 IF APPLICABLE

ADDITIONAL DOCUMENTS TO BE ENCLOSED IN THE APPLICATION:
  • Fee payment receipt
  • Photocopy of your marriage certificate, IF APPLICABLE
  • Photocopy of your passport, showing clearly the passport number, the dates of issue and expiry, name and date of birth, the stamp made by Canadian authorities of your most recent entry to Canada (or your Canadian visa, if you have one), and any other marked pages
  • Photocopy of your travel document, if you did NOT use a passport to enter Canada
  • Photocopy of your current immigration document, if you have one (i.e. study or work permit, visitor visa, visitor record)
  • Proof of completion of upfront medical exam, ONLY if you did your medicals in advance

Mark ALL OTHERS as N/A, because they do not apply to this pilot program. If you want, you can enclose a letter explaining that you're applying for the OWP through the pilot program, as you are applying to be sponsored by your spouse/partner inland.

LINKS:
  • Please note I am not allowed to post links. Add http : / / or www when applicable, without the spaces in front of the links.

• Google Doc: docs.google.com/document/d/1exVjDW_qTVuCdi9Fnd5pKlOSA-XJ82Z4JDUZkUtQrE8/edit?pli=1#
  • Here is the link to the CIC website that tells you which documents to enclose: cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/extend-worker.asp
  • Link to the payment ($255 in total): cic.gc.ca/ENGLISH/information/fees/index.asp
hey Kid,

the link seems not working for google docs. can you help in this

also for $255 fee in total, what options do we need to check in while filling the online payment form??
I previously applied with $100 and i got my application back after 3 months saying INSUFFICIENT FEE.

can anyone please guide what options do i need to check for making a total fee of $255??

kid-

Dec 21, 2014
Ponga said:
FWIW, the Statutory Declaration of Common-Law document is NOT mandatory for a C-L application.

The only thing needed for the Pilot OWP is IMM 5710 and the correct fee amount of $255.
I'm not sure where you got that from, it clearly states that it's needed on the CIC website if you're common-law. IMO, better to send too many documents than too little. It's beneficial to provide that document with your application in case you're common-law, so why not ask the notary sign 2 copies instead of 1? ;)

dominokitty said:
Hey everyone. So, my husband and I sent out an inland application with open work permit app a month and a half ago. We know CIC received the package but we haven't heard a word from them. I don't even know if they have opened the envelope yet! Is that normal? Should I have received an ID number or something so I can check the progress of our application? I included my email in the application and thought I'd get some kind of confirmation.
This is normal. It might take up to 2 months for them to acknowledge your application has been received. If after 2 months you still haven't heard from them, you can call CIC :) It took precisely 2 months for us to get the AOR. Good luck!

soniabahl4 said:
Hello,

I submitted my application for PR + OWP on March 9,2015, and just found out that I paid incorrect fee for OWP. I paid 155$ instead of 255$.

My OWP has been delayed most probably for this reason. I have not heard anything from cic regarding incorrect fees.

The cic agent said that I would get a letter from mississauga office to make full payment or they may return the application.
In case I make balance payment immediately with explanation letter then there's no guarantee that they will be able to match payment against my case.

Please advice ..
I would just do what CIC tells you. They will let you know about the incorrect fee, after which you will correct it, send them the paperwork they need and that's it. Good luck!

db80 said:
Not sure whether this question has been answered before, but did any outland applicants who are currently in Canada, manage to apply/get OWP as part of the pilot program for inland applications?

I asked CIC call center about the same and they said no way.
No. The OWP is for inland applicants ONLY. Trying to get the OWP as an outland applicant is immigration fraud, and might prevent you from getting your PR or entering any commonwealth country for the next 5 years. You might get deported. Don't do it.

Maan997 said:
hey Kid,

the link seems not working for google docs. can you help in this

also for $255 fee in total, what options do we need to check in while filling the online payment form??
I previously applied with $100 and i got my application back after 3 months saying INSUFFICIENT FEE.

can anyone please guide what options do i need to check for making a total fee of $255??
The link works fine with me. Are you sure you're copying the entire link, and not adding www in front of it? You can try adding http : / / (without the spaces) in front of the link, although for me it adds them automatically. For the fee, choose the country you're paying from (Canada) in 'What are you paying for?' choose 'Work permit (including extensions)'. In the next page, choose 'Pay my fees online.' Once you're logged in, you need to choose that you pay for 'Work permit' ($155) and 'Open work permit holder fee' ($100). Good luck!

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kid- said:
I'm not sure where you got that from, it clearly states that it's needed on the CIC website if you're common-law. IMO, better to send too many documents than too little. It's beneficial to provide that document with your application in case you're common-law, so why not ask the notary sign 2 copies instead of 1? ;)
Once again...the Statutory Declaration of Common-Law is NOT required for an Inland Sponsorship application.

Here's where I `Got that' information:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/3900ETOC.asp

Statutory Declaration of Common-Law Union (IMM 5409)
Who must complete this form?

This form must be completed and signed by the sponsor and common-law partner, only if the latter is a co-signer on the application

Having said that, I agree that it's probably a good idea to include it if it makes you feel better.

Have a nice day. ;)

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
kid- said:
Trying to get the OWP as an outland applicant is immigration fraud, and might prevent you from getting your PR or entering any commonwealth country for the next 5 years. You might get deported. Don't do it.
Completely wrong. An outland applicant applying for an OWP is NOT immigration fraud and won't result in anything more than a refusal of the OWP. To say that it could result in deportation or refusal of entry to any Commonwealth country is just stupid.

Gussy24

Star Member
May 11, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-07-2015
Has anyone else who applied in July received any updates or work permits as yet. I have confirmed that they received my application on July 13th. To date I have not received my permit or any other correspondence. I have read that some persons who applied after me have already received theirs.

ksdledesma

Jan 20, 2012
Hi everyone. I am currently living with my husband in Canada with a temporary resident visitor visa. We submitted my OWP and PR app under SCLPC last August. I understand it takes 3-4 months for CIC to process them. Unfortunately my husband and I are going back to the Philippines for our church wedding on December and will not be back in Canada till January 2016. I was wondering if you can help us with some of our questions:

1) In the IMM 5710E document, I placed the following details under Current Country of Residence:
Country - Canada
Status - Visitor
From - August 8, 2015 (date of my arrival in Canada)
To - November 29, 2015 (date of flight back to the Philippines)

Will that impact my application given that it looks like I'm no longer in Canada by the time they process my application? If so what should I do?

2) When we return to Canada on January 2016 I might be asked by the immigration officer why I don't have a return ticket. Is it safe for me to disclose that we have a pending application for OWP?

Thank you in advance for all your help!

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ksdledesma said:
Hi everyone. I am currently living with my husband in Canada with a temporary resident visitor visa. We submitted my OWP and PR app under SCLPC last August. I understand it takes 3-4 months for CIC to process them. Unfortunately my husband and I are going back to the Philippines for our church wedding on December and will not be back in Canada till January 2016. I was wondering if you can help us with some of our questions:

1) In the IMM 5710E document, I placed the following details under Current Country of Residence:
Country - Canada
Status - Visitor

Will that impact my application given that it looks like I'm no longer in Canada by the time they process my application? If so what should I do?

2) When we return to Canada on January 2016 I might be asked by the immigration officer why I don't have a return ticket. Is it safe for me to disclose that we have a pending application for OWP?

You run the risk of being denied re-entry into Canada, which would terminate your SCLPC and OWP.

Besides...wouldn't you need a new visa to return to Canada?

starry101

Feb 11, 2013
ksdledesma said:

Country - Canada
Status - Visitor

It is really stressed that you do not leave Canada while your PR app is processing. If you are denied entry for any reason your entire application will be thrown out. The OWP cannot be used for re-entry, so even if you have it, it does not guarantee that you'll get back into Canada. Also, if your TRV is only single entry or expiring, you are most likely going to be denied entry.

ksdledesma

Jan 20, 2012
Hi Ponga. Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately we cannot cancel our trip to the Philippines anymore because we have already made the necessary payment to our wedding vendors. Our guests will also be inconvenienced if we cancel it given that it's just two months away. If it helps I do have a multiple entry temporary resident visitor visa. If you do have some answers you can share regarding our earlier questions we would greatly appreciate it.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
ksdledesma said:
You'll need a return ticket to board the airplane to Canada. The airline most likely won't let you board without one. If you already have a return ticket from Canada to the Philippines and back - then you'll need to buy a one way ticket from Canada back to the Philippines before you try to return to Canada.

superman2012

Nov 20, 2014
hello,
I have a questions as I will submit my application on December.
I am an international student and my visa will be until 2017. If I gonna submit my application on December is it okay to continue my studies and work? or I am considered as implied status? I am confused :) thanks

snow2209snow

Jul 29, 2015
I have applied on June 23rd, for everything, they received my application on June 25th. Got an email about 2 months after. My OWP was printed on October 16th and I got it in mail on October 20th, so just 4 days less then 4 months.

Good luck ev

Arekor

Oct 1, 2015
I have a quick question

I'm sponsoring my wife for her immigration. I would like to clarify the fact if I need to complete Schedule A – Background/Declaration (IMM 5669) and any other documents
Or do I only need to complete the sponsorship application, and the rest is for her

Thank you

I have a permanent residence

CanAusIcans

Oct 30, 2015
Hi all,

My husband and I applied for PR and the OWP pilot project in July. The CIC call center has confirmed that his OWP was mailed out on October 16th. He was also able to confirm that they have our immigration lawyer's correct address in Vancouver and that it was mailed there. We are now two weeks from the date it was mailed. Both CIC and our immigration lawyer have said it is 'normal' for it to take two weeks plus for mail from CIC to arrive. CIC will not re-send the OWP until it has been six weeks.

This waiting time is making us fairly anxious. Does anyone have any experience with how long it takes to receive something from CIC? Is two-three weeks actually normal?

Many thanks in advance!