+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

one-year pilot OWP for spouses and common-law partners

28january

Star Member
Oct 1, 2014
I'm having a hard time figuring out WHERE to apply for my OWP extension online... Please, any help? I filled out the application to change conditions, ready to pay $255 but I can't seem to find where I can apply online, and believe me I've been answering a LOT of their questionnaires that they make you take to "see if you are eligible" (I do have an AIP and a soon-to-expire OWP). From here, where do I go??

Original OWP expiring in less than 4 weeks, hence the urgency.

binnie

Oct 17, 2014
Hi Ponga,

Is processing time for OWP(Inland sponsorship) is same which shows on CIC website for new employer work permit application. I applied OWP on 3rd July(PR app was sent to missisauga on 18 March). I haven't heard a word from CIC about OWP. I'm not sure what do to. Please discuss !

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It seems to take ~ 4 months to receive the OWP, so look for it to arrive sometime in the next 3 weeks or so.

As long as you had legal status (even implied status) on the day that CIC received your OWP, you'll be fine.

Did you pay the full amount ($255)?

binnie

Oct 17, 2014
Ponga said:
It seems to take ~ 4 months to receive the OWP, so look for it to arrive sometime in the next 3 weeks or so.

As long as you had legal status (even implied status) on the day that CIC received your OWP, you'll be fine.

Thanks, yes I'm on PGWP expiring this December and I paid full fee for $255.

binnie

Oct 17, 2014
Ponga said:

Thanks! Ponga, I've got my work permit for two years.

kid-

Dec 21, 2014
Hi all, I'm sending you a link to a Google Doc made by inland applicants. It clarifies the OWP process as well, what to send, where and how to pay etc.

INITIAL DOCUMENTS TO BE ENCLOSED IN THE APPLICATION:
  • Document Checklist [IMM 5556], February 2015
  • Application to Change Conditions, Extend my Stay or Remain in Canada as a Worker [IMM 5710], April 2015
  • Statutory Declaration of Common-Law Union [IMM 5409], April 2015 ONLY IF YOU ARE APPLYING AS A COMMON-LAW PARTNER
  • Use of a Representative [IMM 5476], June 2015 IF APPLICABLE

ADDITIONAL DOCUMENTS TO BE ENCLOSED IN THE APPLICATION:
  • Fee payment receipt
  • Photocopy of your marriage certificate, IF APPLICABLE
  • Photocopy of your passport, showing clearly the passport number, the dates of issue and expiry, name and date of birth, the stamp made by Canadian authorities of your most recent entry to Canada (or your Canadian visa, if you have one), and any other marked pages
  • Photocopy of your travel document, if you did NOT use a passport to enter Canada
  • Photocopy of your current immigration document, if you have one (i.e. study or work permit, visitor visa, visitor record)
  • Proof of completion of upfront medical exam, ONLY if you did your medicals in advance

Mark ALL OTHERS as N/A, because they do not apply to this pilot program. If you want, you can enclose a letter explaining that you're applying for the OWP through the pilot program, as you are applying to be sponsored by your spouse/partner inland.

LINKS:
  • Please note I am not allowed to post links. Add http : / / or www when applicable, without the spaces in front of the links.

• Google Doc: docs.google.com/document/d/1exVjDW_qTVuCdi9Fnd5pKlOSA-XJ82Z4JDUZkUtQrE8/edit?pli=1#
  • Here is the link to the CIC website that tells you which documents to enclose: cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/extend-worker.asp
  • Link to the payment ($255 in total): cic.gc.ca/ENGLISH/information/fees/index.asp

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kid- said:
Hi all, I'm sending you a link to a Google Doc made by inland applicants. It clarifies the OWP process as well, what to send, where and how to pay etc.

INITIAL DOCUMENTS TO BE ENCLOSED IN THE APPLICATION:
  • Document Checklist [IMM 5556], February 2015
  • Application to Change Conditions, Extend my Stay or Remain in Canada as a Worker [IMM 5710], April 2015
  • Statutory Declaration of Common-Law Union [IMM 5409], April 2015 ONLY IF YOU ARE APPLYING AS A COMMON-LAW PARTNER
  • Use of a Representative [IMM 5476], June 2015 IF APPLICABLE

ADDITIONAL DOCUMENTS TO BE ENCLOSED IN THE APPLICATION:
  • Fee payment receipt
  • Photocopy of your marriage certificate, IF APPLICABLE
  • Photocopy of your passport, showing clearly the passport number, the dates of issue and expiry, name and date of birth, the stamp made by Canadian authorities of your most recent entry to Canada (or your Canadian visa, if you have one), and any other marked pages
  • Photocopy of your travel document, if you did NOT use a passport to enter Canada
  • Photocopy of your current immigration document, if you have one (i.e. study or work permit, visitor visa, visitor record)
  • Proof of completion of upfront medical exam, ONLY if you did your medicals in advance

Mark ALL OTHERS as N/A, because they do not apply to this pilot program. If you want, you can enclose a letter explaining that you're applying for the OWP through the pilot program, as you are applying to be sponsored by your spouse/partner inland.

LINKS:
  • Please note I am not allowed to post links. Add http : / / or www when applicable, without the spaces in front of the links.

• Google Doc: docs.google.com/document/d/1exVjDW_qTVuCdi9Fnd5pKlOSA-XJ82Z4JDUZkUtQrE8/edit?pli=1#
  • Here is the link to the CIC website that tells you which documents to enclose: cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/extend-worker.asp
  • Link to the payment ($255 in total): cic.gc.ca/ENGLISH/information/fees/index.asp

FWIW, the Statutory Declaration of Common-Law document is NOT mandatory for a C-L application.

The only thing needed for the Pilot OWP is IMM 5710 and the correct fee amount of $255.

dominokitty

Mar 19, 2014
Canada - Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-09-2015
AOR Received.
12-12-2015
Med's Request
16-05-2016
Med's Done....
upfront, then again on 25-05-2016
Interview........
waived
LANDED..........
30-06-2016 - Calgary
Hey everyone. So, my husband and I sent out an inland application with open work permit app a month and a half ago. We know CIC received the package but we haven't heard a word from them. I don't even know if they have opened the envelope yet! Is that normal? Should I have received an ID number or something so I can check the progress of our application? I included my email in the application and thought I'd get some kind of confirmation.

Arekor

Oct 1, 2015
Hi everyone

My Japanese fiancé just arrived today. And at the airport they gave her a visa for 1 month
We are planing to get married November 2nd and we will apply for her permanent residence with a sponsorship and a OWP

My question is. On the cic they said when you apply you need a valid visa at the time. So when we apply her visa is valid but what about after ? Because her visa is only for 1 month

Thank you

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Arekor said:
Hi everyone

My Japanese fiancé just arrived today. And at the airport they gave her a visa for 1 month
We are planing to get married November 2nd and we will apply for her permanent residence with a sponsorship and a OWP

My question is. On the cic they said when you apply you need a valid visa at the time. So when we apply her visa is valid but what about after ? Because her visa is only for 1 month

Thank you
Congratulations!

If you submit the Inland sponsorship application package and OWP, and they received by CIC prior to her status expiring, she will be covered under Implied Status for the duration of the process. However...you must be very careful to submit the latest version of all forms, ensure all required signatures are in place, pay the correct amount for the PR application ($75+$475) along with a properly completed OWP application (form IMM 5710) and pay the correct amount of $255 for the OWP. If the PR application, or the OWP is returned, due to a missing or outdated form/signature, or other error(s), it would jeopardize her Implied Status.

The RPRF of $490 should be paid up front as well, but defering it will not prevent her application from being processed. It will, however, possibly delay her landing appointment/interview.

Good luck!

soniabahl4

Oct 21, 2015
Hello,

I submitted my application for PR + OWP on March 9,2015, and just found out that I paid incorrect fee for OWP. I paid 155$ instead of 255$.

My OWP has been delayed most probably for this reason. I have not heard anything from cic regarding incorrect fees.

The cic agent said that I would get a letter from mississauga office to make full payment or they may return the application.
In case I make balance payment immediately with explanation letter then there's no guarantee that they will be able to match payment against my case.

Please advice ..

db80

Star Member
Oct 19, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-10-2014
AOR Received.
01-01-2015 (SA: 06-01-2015)
File Transfer...
21-01-2015 (In Process from 17-08-2015)
Med's Request
15-10-2015 (new med request: 10-06-2016)
Med's Done....
Upfront
Passport Req..
05-09-2016
VISA ISSUED...
30-09-2016
Not sure whether this question has been answered before, but did any outland applicants who are currently in Canada, manage to apply/get OWP as part of the pilot program for inland applications?

I asked CIC call center about the same and they said no way.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
soniabahl4 said:
Hello,

I submitted my application for PR + OWP on March 9,2015, and just found out that I paid incorrect fee for OWP. I paid 155$ instead of 255$.

My OWP has been delayed most probably for this reason. I have not heard anything from cic regarding incorrect fees.

The cic agent said that I would get a letter from mississauga office to make full payment or they may return the application.
In case I make balance payment immediately with explanation letter then there's no guarantee that they will be able to match payment against my case.

Please advice ..
Unfortunately, all you can do now is wait to see what CIC does.

Most people, that underpaid, simply had their OWP application returned, and had to re-submit with the proper receipt...and had to wait all over again.

Hopefully, you'll be one of the lucky ones!

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
db80 said:
Not sure whether this question has been answered before, but did any outland applicants who are currently in Canada, manage to apply/get OWP as part of the pilot program for inland applications?

I asked CIC call center about the same and they said no way.
This OWP is only available to an Inland applicant (that has legal status in Canada).