+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

one-year pilot OWP for spouses and common-law partners

hollynelson

Oct 5, 2012
:-[ :-[Feeling so sick right now with sadness and worry and fear...

I applied to be sponsored last March (2014) and - as you all know - the wait times have been extended. I really thought I would be going home to see my family before now. I miss them so much it makes me feel sick. I want to start my life. I am 31 and I want children and I want to buy a house and have a life - for the last year I have languished in this prison sentence as waiting times got longer and longer.

Then in Jan this OWP pilot was announced. I spoke with CIC who said that my risk of being able to get back into the country were less if I had an OWP and job to go to - finally we could start to live life!

I applied on Jan 12th and was told that I should have my permit end of April, beginning of May when I spoke and to call them May 19th if I had heard nothing. They also said it had been sent to a different processing unit, which they couldn't work out. Then the lady on the phone went to check and said that it was ok that they were all being sent to this same unit to be turned into the document that would be needed.

I called May 19th and was told to call back at the end of May because they hadn't received it til Jan 20th so it was normal not to have heard.

I just called and they told me I sent it to the wrong unit at Vegreville - Unit 555, which I don't understand because I got the address right off of the website there. Then they said that due to this it wouldn't be processed under the pilot scheme and that it would be refused. They told me to call them June 5th to find out more information.

It says right on it OWP under the pilot scheme with a cover letter of exactly what it is. Why can't they just send it to unit 777? How can this be happening? I feel so angry and so sad and I will be letting my whole family down yet again. Honestly - everything that could have gone wrong has gone wrong with my application. I wish I had just forked out for a lawyer.

Any advice?? Help? I will take anything at all.

GustavesF

Oct 29, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-04-2014
AOR Received.
26-01-2015
LANDED..........
08-10-2015
hollynelson said:

I applied to be sponsored last March (2014) and - as you all know - the wait times have been extended. I really thought I would be going home to see my family before now. I miss them so much it makes me feel sick. I want to start my life. I am 31 and I want children and I want to buy a house and have a life - for the last year I have languished in this prison sentence as waiting times got longer and longer.

Then in Jan this OWP pilot was announced. I spoke with CIC who said that my risk of being able to get back into the country were less if I had an OWP and job to go to - finally we could start to live life!

I applied on Jan 12th and was told that I should have my permit end of April, beginning of May when I spoke and to call them May 19th if I had heard nothing. They also said it had been sent to a different processing unit, which they couldn't work out. Then the lady on the phone went to check and said that it was ok that they were all being sent to this same unit to be turned into the document that would be needed.

I called May 19th and was told to call back at the end of May because they hadn't received it til Jan 20th so it was normal not to have heard.

I just called and they told me I sent it to the wrong unit at Vegreville - Unit 555, which I don't understand because I got the address right off of the website there. Then they said that due to this it wouldn't be processed under the pilot scheme and that it would be refused. They told me to call them June 5th to find out more information.

It says right on it OWP under the pilot scheme with a cover letter of exactly what it is. Why can't they just send it to unit 777? How can this be happening? I feel so angry and so sad and I will be letting my whole family down yet again. Honestly - everything that could have gone wrong has gone wrong with my application. I wish I had just forked out for a lawyer.

Sorry you're going through that Holly. If it's any consolation, a lawyer wouldn't have helped in this situation.

The unfortunate problem is that the system is unfathomably archaic, so document tracking, or any civilized method to know what's going on is absolutely not employed by CIC. Imagine a mailbox, a wheelbarrow, a windy day, and a few preschoolers moving the papers around. That's essentially what CIC looks like.

They often lose documents, the call center is essentially a Pizza Hut, and you can not expect the processing agents to expend any more thought on your application than a young child. It has to be veeeeeeeery crayola, or they throw it away and forget what happened to it.

What I can suggest is to contact your local MP's office and explain your situation to them. CIC absolutely does not care about the individual applicants at all, but they'll at least talk to and reason with your MP.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
GustavesF said:
They often lose documents, the call center is essentially a Pizza Hut, and you can not expect the processing agents to expend any more thought on your application than a young child. It has to be veeeeeeeery crayola, or they throw it away and forget what happened to it.
How DARE you insult Pizza Hut! ;D

I see them more in-line with...Little Caesars.

ssdn

Star Member
May 14, 2015
In Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-05-2015
Med's Done....
04-05-2015
i am so sorry for you hollynelson, I will pray for you and all in your / our situation to have a life full of happiness so that we can forgot this hard time.
Same here I am 31 father of 2 beautiful kids which I can see only online, but I know if I am able to settle myself here, in this beautiful and safe country, they surely have a safe future.
keep urself strong and pray, god is answer to every question and problem.

GustavesF

Oct 29, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-04-2014
AOR Received.
26-01-2015
LANDED..........
08-10-2015
Ponga said:
How DARE you insult Pizza Hut! ;D

I see them more in-line with...Little Caesars.
Haha, my mistake!

What I mean to say is that it's like being on hold for an hour, followed by being connected to a Pizza Hut without any of the pizza.

Actually, Pizza Hut knows more about your application that the call center does.

raffylopezcutora

Star Member
Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga - inland app
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
October 19, 2014
AOR Received.
September 9, 2015
Med's Request
September 15, 2015
Med's Done....
September 29, 2014 - upfront
Interview........
October 28, 2015
LANDED..........
October 28, 2015
called CIC today (again) to follow-up my OWP application... the agent confirmed that it was sent out last May 6, 2015. It is already 25th of May and I still didn't get anything. Does it take that long for the delivery from Vegreville to Toronto? :(

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
anr8779 said:
Thats messed up my dude....but i anit saying nothing lol

I be like what claim?
Sunlife doesn't have to take your word that you never made any claims. They can still go after you to pay back any claims you made. They have your claim records and can compare it with record that your spouse is not on OHIP.

MaryLou6

Oct 23, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga, INLAND
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-09-2014, common-law
Doc's Request.
OWP received May 26.2015, SA & AIP August 31, 2015, DM on September 3, 2015
AOR Received.
14-10-2014
Med's Done....
upfront
LANDED..........
24-09-2015
raffylopezcutora said:
called CIC today (again) to follow-up my OWP application... the agent confirmed that it was sent out last May 6, 2015. It is already 25th of May and I still didn't get anything. Does it take that long for the delivery from Vegreville to Toronto? :(
how did you manage to get through to CIC? I've been calling them today but all I get is the recorded messages..

GustavesF

Oct 29, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-04-2014
AOR Received.
26-01-2015
LANDED..........
08-10-2015
MaryLou6 said:
how did you manage to get through to CIC? I've been calling them today but all I get is the recorded messages..
Repeatedly spam their line, when someone else is disconnected you'll finally get on.
Hang-up the second you get the message stating the lines are full, and re-dial.

Keep hammering till you get through.

Sorry you have to go through that. The service is terrible.

Johninsask

Star Member
Jan 15, 2015
Saskatchewan
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-05-2015
AOR Received.
04-02-2016
Med's Done....
18-05-2016
LANDED..........
20-09-2016
Hi Holly, I am so sorry that happened to you. I can empathize on a smaller scale... back in January my visitor extension was refused because I somehow didn't upload my passport properly. If they had just asked me to resend it, it would have saved my partner and I $200 and several months of waiting to submit our PR app while the restoration application processed.

I wonder if there is any regulation against you submitting a second OWP application once the first is officially refused or withdrawn. After all, why would them refusing the first preclude them from considering a second? I do not recall seeing any language about OWP applications being a one-shot deal. So long as you're in good status you should consider trying again. Anyone else think so?

hollynelson said:

MaryLou6

Oct 23, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga, INLAND
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-09-2014, common-law
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
14-10-2014
Med's Done....
upfront
LANDED..........
24-09-2015
GustavesF said:
Repeatedly spam their line, when someone else is disconnected you'll finally get on.
Hang-up the second you get the message stating the lines are full, and re-dial.

Keep hammering till you get through.

Sorry you have to go through that. The service is terrible.
Thanks GustavesF, good advice as always! +1!

kszhang

Nov 18, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-04-2014
raffylopezcutora said:
CIC confirmed (two agents mentioning the same date....) my OWP has been sent out on May 13, but the mailbox still empty.... I am also living in Toronto :'(

raffylopezcutora

Star Member
Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga - inland app
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
October 19, 2014
AOR Received.
September 9, 2015
Med's Request
September 15, 2015
Med's Done....
September 29, 2014 - upfront
Interview........
October 28, 2015
LANDED..........
October 28, 2015
MaryLou6 said:
Thanks GustavesF, good advice as always! +1!
Call the Hotline and then press 3-2-1-0 to speak to an agent regarding work permit :)

MaryLou6

Oct 23, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga, INLAND
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-09-2014, common-law
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
14-10-2014
Med's Done....
upfront
LANDED..........
24-09-2015
I GOT MY OWP TODAY!! It was issued on May 21 and valid till May 21st 2017. I applied separately, on January 29th 2015.

So happy, I have a job waiting for me and now I can finally work!

xxxma3dl

Star Member
Jan 2, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 2014
Doc's Request.
July 2014
Med's Request
20 Jan 2016
Med's Done....
29 Jan 2016
Interview........
10 Mar 2016
MaryLou6 said:
I GOT MY OWP TODAY!! It was issued on May 21 and valid till May 21st 2017. I applied separately, on January 29th 2015.

So happy, I have a job waiting for me and now I can finally work!
Congratulations! I hope I get mine soon :)