+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

one-year pilot OWP for spouses and common-law partners

powerk

May 28, 2015
hooligander said:
You might want to extend her visitor status since they may not receive your application in time.

This could cause extra wait, my wife still had 3 months valid when we sent ours
Wouldn't she be on implied status ?
I actually applied for visa extension yesterday, but now I'm being told that I can withdraw that application because she would be on implied status while OWP is being reviewed

hooligander

Oct 22, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga, Ontario
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-03-2015
AOR Received.
22-04-2015
Med's Done....
Up front
I would say play it safe, there could be a chance they view the application when she is out of status which will make you restart the OWP process.

One thing I have learned with these yahoos is to over prepare

powerk

May 28, 2015
hooligander said:
I would say play it safe, there could be a chance they view the application when she is out of status which will make you restart the OWP process.

One thing I have learned with these yahoos is to over prepare
Her current visa expires in a month and they would view OWP in at least 4 month, which means that she will be out of status, or on implied status.

I called them and agent confirmed that I can withdraw the visa extension application, but maybe it's safer to just let it process

hooligander

Oct 22, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga, Ontario
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-03-2015
AOR Received.
22-04-2015
Med's Done....
Up front
I am just referring to the time it takes for them to give you an AOR. This can sometimes take a month or longer.

I had them send the OWP app back before, its no fun

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
powerk said:
Her current visa expires in a month and they would view OWP in at least 4 month, which means that she will be out of status, or on implied status.

I called them and agent confirmed that I can withdraw the visa extension application, but maybe it's safer to just let it process
qualifying foreign nationals who have submitted an application for permanent residence under the spouse or common-law partner in Canada (SCLPC) class.

Officers will issue open work permits to SCLPC applicants if they meet the following requirements:
a PR application has been submitted under the SCLPC class;
a Canadian citizen or permanent resident spouse has submitted a sponsorship application on their behalf;
the SCLPC applicant resides at the same address as the sponsor; and
the SCLPC applicant has valid temporary resident status (as a visitor, student or worker).

It appears that CIC is treating implied status as valid status for this program, since others in the same situation have received their OWP.

Since AOR is [usually] issued after the application has had a cursory glance by CIC, to ensure that all forms are included and required signatures are in place, which would satisfy the first two requirements having been met...how do they know that the couple are in fact still at the same address?

powerk

May 28, 2015
Ponga said:
qualifying foreign nationals who have submitted an application for permanent residence under the spouse or common-law partner in Canada (SCLPC) class.

Officers will issue open work permits to SCLPC applicants if they meet the following requirements:
a PR application has been submitted under the SCLPC class;
a Canadian citizen or permanent resident spouse has submitted a sponsorship application on their behalf;
the SCLPC applicant resides at the same address as the sponsor; and
the SCLPC applicant has valid temporary resident status (as a visitor, student or worker).

It appears that CIC is treating implied status as valid status for this program, since others in the same situation have received their OWP.
So that means I can safely withdraw the application for visa extension ?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
powerk said:
So that means I can safely withdraw the application for visa extension ?
As long as you can be absolutely certain that the Inland application and the OWP are received by CIC prior to her status expiring...I'd say yes, but I wouldn't withdraw the visitor extension...here's why:

Even though you may not receive an official AOR from CIC for months, your confirmed delivery date is, in essence, the same date that will `eventually' show in the system. IF for whatever reason either the Inland application OR the OWP is returned, because of a missing/outdated form,signature, etc., it would void the implied status. Leaving the visitor extension as-is, would be a good idea, IMHO...unless you really need the money.

There have been a few people that have fallen out of status because one of the applications had been returned, so...it does happen.

hooligander

Oct 22, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga, Ontario
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-03-2015
AOR Received.
22-04-2015
Med's Done....
Up front
Hey Everyone

Just wanted to spread some good news

We applied for PR with OWP on March 20th, my wife received her OWP last weekend and was issued on May 20.

So the stated within 4 months actually happened as she received her in 2 months exactly!

birdboy008

Feb 28, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-06-2014
AOR Received.
08-08-2014
I received my OWP yesterday.

Applied separately.
Application was received by CIC on Feb 15, 2015
Issued may 26
expires in 2 years, case 27, status maintained, etc.

Please update the spreadsheet. Hang in there everyone (that's still waiting), it will come someday. Took about of 3.5 months for me.

xxxma3dl

Star Member
Jan 2, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 2014
Doc's Request.
July 2014
Med's Request
20 Jan 2016
Med's Done....
29 Jan 2016
Interview........
10 Mar 2016
Hello everyone! Finally got my OWP, good for two years, case type 27 :)

raffylopezcutora

Star Member
Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga - inland app
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
October 19, 2014
AOR Received.
September 9, 2015
Med's Request
September 15, 2015
Med's Done....
September 29, 2014 - upfront
Interview........
October 28, 2015
LANDED..........
October 28, 2015
xxxma3dl said:
Hello everyone! Finally got my OWP, good for two years, case type 27 :)
Congrats...still waiting for mine to arrive..i dunno what's wrong with Canada Post :'(

PTJ

Jun 8, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
raffylopezcutora said:
Congrats...still waiting for mine to arrive..i dunno what's wrong with Canada Post :'(
Really! That's too long...you may have to contact CIC again to let them know

ann1e

Jun 1, 2015
Hi guys,

FYI.

My sponsorship application sent in 2014 Jan.
I applied OWP separately on March 11'15 online.
OWP approved in "MY CIC" on May 21'15.
I received OWP in mail on May 28'15.
AIP for sponsor and applicant on May 29'15.

I guess online application takes less time to process.

Thanks!

xxxma3dl

Star Member
Jan 2, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 2014
Doc's Request.
July 2014
Med's Request
20 Jan 2016
Med's Done....
29 Jan 2016
Interview........
10 Mar 2016
raffylopezcutora said:
You have to inform CIC about your mail. Do you live in a building type apt? The postman may have shoved your mail in another mailbox :-X

Jun 2, 2015
Hi everyone, I need some guidance.

I sent in my wife's application for PR and OWP in April 2014. It was marked received April 10, 2014. She is on implied status with her visitors visa expiring at the end of May.

We like most of you have been struggling with one income and were happy when the new regulations for the one year pilot. However, upon no response, I contacted the CIC in April 2015. They asked many questions before even wanting to look up our file and then we were told that we should receive it before the end of April 2015. We didn't, and I waited 2 months.

I called again June 1st (yesterday) and recieved a rude call agent who refused to look up our application even though we told him we had not recieved it yet and were told we would. The man on the other end asked my wife for our dates for applying and then told my wife that we would know if we got it when we received it. At first he refused to look up our application number. We told him that we had phoned before and we had been told that we should receive it at the end of April. After much frustration my wife asked if the man from CIC could speak to me, he replied, "what for, I have already told you everything". At that point I came on the line and asked to know why he would not look up our application. He avoided everything to do so, and he said there was no need as he could tell by the application date. I again specified the Pilot program and how the woman had told us that we should receive it by the end of April. He said we should have received one already if we qualified and that he did not know about what the woman had said but that she must have said maybe. I told him how would he know about our file as he did not even know or ask our names and refused to look up our application. He said he did not refuse, but still would not check it when I asked again and again. I asked for his supervisor or manager and he said they didn't have one. I then asked how they could check against any form of improper treatment to clients and said there was a form online. I got his ID number.

I then placed my wife back on the phone and he asked her to explain what the woman said exactly. As she was explaining he rudely interrupted her several times, cutting her off and telling her that he did not need the details.

From the beginning he was adamant we were not getting the permit, not even checking our file, saying were were ineligible, even without knowing my wife's name. When asking why we were ineligible he said he did not make the decision and to look on the website to see the criteria, my wife tired to tell him she was eligible but he still would not listen. Even though two months before we were told we would receive it by the end of the month.

Does anyone know why we have not received it? Any suggestions on what I can do? She hasn't even received a client number yet. We were part of the office transfer delays as well, do you think that is part of it?