+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

one-year pilot OWP for spouses and common-law partners

Jamesdavid3

May 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
refreshing the page every 2 seconds, they should definitely take priority over people who sent the OWP with the PR Application.

NorthDakota22

Dec 19, 2014
It just came up:

One Year Pilot – Issuance of open work permits to applicants for permanent residence under the spouse or common-law partner in Canada class
Summary
Effective December 22, 2014, Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) will commence issuing open work permits to certain spouse or common-law partner in Canada class (SCLPC) applicants before the approval in principle decision is made.

Applicants who have already submitted an application for permanent residence under the SCLPC class but have not yet applied for an open work permit should complete an Application to Change Conditions, Extend my Stay or Remain in Canada as a Worker (PDF, KB) (PDF, 452.86 KB) form [IMM 5710], include the appropriate fee, indicating that they are applying for an open work permit, and submit it to the Case Processing Centre in Vegreville, at the following address:

CPC – Vegreville
WP - Unit 777
6212-55 Avenue
Vegreville, AB
T9C 1X6

If an SCLPC applicant has already received approval in principle, they have the option of applying for an open work permit online.

New SCLPC applicants should complete a permanent residence application and an open work permit applications, include the appropriate fees, and submit both simultaneously to the Case Processing Centre in Mississauga.

CIC will begin issuing open work permits to eligible applicants in the current SCLPC inventory. SCLPC applicants whose permanent resident applications are received after December 22, 2014 will have their application for an open work permit processed within four months of receipt of their work permit application.

Standard medical requirements for open work permits apply.

After one year, CIC will assess this pilot and determine how to most effectively process open work permits for SCLPC applicants moving forward.

NorthDakota22

Dec 19, 2014
From the updated instructions, it looks like applicants without status won't be able to apply:

qualifying foreign nationals who have submitted an application for permanent residence under the spouse or common-law partner in Canada (SCLPC) class.
Officers will issue open work permits to SCLPC applicants if they meet the following requirements:
a PR application has been submitted under the SCLPC class;
a Canadian citizen or permanent resident spouse has submitted a sponsorship application on their behalf;
the SCLPC applicant resides at the same address as the sponsor; and
the SCLPC applicant has valid temporary resident status (as a visitor, student or worker).
Case processing centres will ensure that the requirements are met and conduct a systems check to identify any adverse information on either the sponsor or the applicant that would render the applicant ineligible to receive an open work permit. If there is information that an applicant is inadmissible, their application for an open work permit will be refused.

Jamesdavid3

May 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
What happens if you submitted the OWP application with the Common Law application

How would the CIC know that I have included the OWP application in my application as they are both together....

I am sure my application is inside a box with other applications who dont have a owp included, there is no way they can track it....

NorthDakota22

Dec 19, 2014
Jamesdavid3 said:
What happens if you submitted the OWP application with the Common Law application

How would the CIC know that I have included the OWP application in my application as they are both together....

I am sure my application is inside a box with other applications who dont have a owp included, there is no way they can track it....
In their notice, CIC wrote "CIC will begin issuing open work permits to eligible applicants in the current SCLPC inventory." So I imagine they will start opening a lot of boxes....

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Shame on CIC for making such a HUGE leap forward, while leaving so many behind.

A person without status is still eligible to apply for an OWP AFTER AIP, just like those that do have status.

I guess CIC doesn't see the value in those people working and contributing to their family (and economy) while they wait.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Jamesdavid3 said:
refreshing the page every 2 seconds, they should definitely take priority over people who sent the OWP with the PR Application.
Well...Aren't you the selfish one.

You say that you've been working legally this entire time, via some magical extension to your previous WP (which isn't extendable), so you are the LAST person that really needs this...unless you're getting nervous because maybe you haven't been working legally.

Jamesdavid3

May 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ponga said:
Well...Aren't you the selfish one.

You say that you've been working legally this entire time, via some magical extension to your previous WP (which isn't extendable), so you are the LAST person that really needs this...unless you're getting nervous because maybe you haven't been working legally.
No, I just want my new OWP that is all as I want to change employer.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Jamesdavid3 said:

I'm sure that in order to give you AOR, CIC does a quick preliminary scan of your application to make a file for you. So at that time they may go through the app quickly and already logged if you had an OWP app in there or not.

omariewk1

Star Member
Mar 14, 2014
alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
Med's Done....
July 20 2015
Interview........
SA March 24th 2016
Passport Req..
DM March 31st 2016
VISA ISSUED...
Landing Date recieved April 6th 2016
LANDED..........
19-04-2016
Ponga said:
I totally agree with you on that ponga. if they allow people to apply without status why exempt them from the pilot program now? as my wife said earlier this will only make the processing time longer.

A person without status is still eligible to apply for an OWP AFTER AIP, just like those that do have status.

I guess CIC doesn't see the value in those people working and contributing to their family (and economy) while they wait.

w1104

Oct 25, 2014
-the work permit expires mid-january.
-submitted the PR application with OWP application at the end of November.

I don't expect to see a AOR for quite some time. Maybe February or March? hopefully we'll get an OWP with it too?

I'm just nervous about my wife remaining here legally. Will she have implied status or should we go about trying to get a visitor visa too? I believe we're fine with implied status but... who cares what I think? I also don't want to start applying for more stuff when I think we're already covered. one of those don't fix what isn't broken type deals.

so, *shrug*

Jamesdavid3

May 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Rob_TO said:
I'm sure that in order to give you AOR, CIC does a quick preliminary scan of your application to make a file for you. So at that time they may go through the app quickly and already logged if you had an OWP app in there or not.
Yes that's true and makes sense but the question is do they really do that..

If they don't it looks like they have to open up each application again to check for these OWP which went sent with the Application.

daniellanogli

Jan 13, 2014
Thunder Bay ON - Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-03-2014
AOR Received.
06-08-2014
Med's Done....
21-05-2014
Ponga said:

I just spoke with a Vegreville agent and he said that if you applied for a restoration of status within the 90 days you are still eligible to apply for a OWP, the restoration of status and the OWP will be processed simultaneously !! Good news for those who are out of status!!

Becksterd

Apr 15, 2010
Edmonton, AB
NOC Code......
Nomination.....
05-2013
IELTS Request
14-02-2014
Med's Request
10-2013
Med's Done....
11-2013
Passport Req..
02-2014
VISA ISSUED...
02-2014
LANDED..........
04-2014
What about those on implied status now, who have already applied for OWP along with their Spousal Sponsorship application when the work permit was still valid?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Becksterd said:
What about those on implied status now, who have already applied for OWP along with their Spousal Sponsorship application when the work permit was still valid?
You would be eligible because you HAD legal status and still have legal status (albeit implied status).

Those that HAD legal status, but did not MAINTAIN that status, either by including an OWP, or Study Permit WITH their Inland application, or by extending their visitor status, would NOT be eligible:

qualifying foreign nationals who have submitted an application for permanent residence under the spouse or common-law partner in Canada (SCLPC) class.

Officers will issue open work permits to SCLPC applicants if they meet the following requirements:
a PR application has been submitted under the SCLPC class;
a Canadian citizen or permanent resident spouse has submitted a sponsorship application on their behalf;
the SCLPC applicant resides at the same address as the sponsor; and
the SCLPC applicant has valid temporary resident status (as a visitor, student or worker).