+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

One more Travel History for PR Renewal thread...why not?

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Apologies upfront for some repetition. Given the extent to which claims about reliance on CBSA travel history continually recur in RO and citizenship topics, it is important to be clear about what PRs can expect. And in this regard, for now (subject to change of course) PRs should NOT expect IRCC to use the CBSA travel history for any purpose other than to make a binary judgment: do the CBSA records verify the PR's travel history, YES or NO.

There's lots of strong argument that IRCC could and should use CBSA records for more than that. That's not what I have been discussing. I have been addressing how IRCC, for now, uses CBSA travel history records. And that's rather limited. IRCC uses the CBSA records to catch and identify, in the PR's declarations, any omissions, inaccuracies, inconsistencies, or incongruities . . . that is, to catch and identify any reason to question the PR's presence.

I'm going to have to disagree . . .
I am not sure what the disagreement is about, whether it is substantive or procedural, as to terminology, or perhaps perspective.

Or to what extent there is a practical difference.

In my clumsy, wordy way, I have employed thousands of words to say some fairly simple, and I hope practical things. I have excuses for going long. For one, to a large extent I show-my-work.

In regards to the lengthy "primer" posts, it warrants repeating and emphasizing that NONE of this matters for the vast majority of PRs who meet the respective presence qualification (whether applying for citizenship or a PR card or a PR TD), and who completely and accurately report their travel history (with allowances for minor errors).

So, to be clear, for the PR who completely and accurately reports their travel history, there is no need to think about, let alone worry about how IRCC uses the CBSA travel history records.

Sometime ago @Ponga referenced and linked a blog entry titled "Entry and Exit Records Will Leave You Nowhere to Hide." I am not familiar with the source otherwise, so know nothing about its credibility, but that particular blog entry largely tells the practical side of the tale, as it is stated in its concluding paragraph:
The main takeaway is you must take care that you are fulfilling your physical residence requirements and that in any immigration application you should double or even triple-check all the information you submit. If you are uncertain of some dates or lengths of time or other information, you should explain that on a separate page or in any provided space in the forms used for the specific immigration application.

The discussion here is NOT for those who do that.

For others, the question is: "How does IRCC use CBSA travel history records?"

Repeating and rephrasing a little, the simple and practical answer is --
-- for IRCC, the CBSA travel history is primarily a tool for testing the reliability of the PR's reporting, not to show or establish a PR's presence​

Some might say that to the extent IRCC considers the CBSA travel history records to verify a PR's travel history, that is using the records to show and establish the PR's presence. That's a different discussion. That's about PRs who completely and accurately report their travel history. That should be a very short and simple discussion: for the PR who completely and accurately reports their travel history, IRCC can and probably will verify the travel history using CBSA entry records. End of that story.

This discussion is about how IRCC uses the CBSA travel history other than that, and is of import only if and when the CBSA travel history, or any other information, does not confirm the PR has completely and accurately disclosed travel dates.

In any event, I believe there is no disagreement that --
-- a PR applying for citizenship needs to be certain they have met the presence requirement​
-- for a PR making a PR card or PR TD application, they need to do likewise as to the PR Residency Obligation UNLESS they are relying on H&C relief​
-- it is imperative in any of these applications the PR report travel history dates completely and accurately, and acknowledge any uncertainty (also applies to PR relying on H&C relief)​

wordy guy said:
. . . the CBSA travel history is primarily a tool for testing the reliability of the PR's reporting. It is not "real evidence" of presence except as to particular dates.
. . .
There is no suggestion, not even a hint, that IRCC considers the CBSA travel history "prima facie" evidence of presence (except, of course, it does show presence for the specific dates of entry and exit).
I'm going to have to disagree with you here:
-first, a "tool" for testing reliability of reporting is one component of prima facie evidence. (Reminder that this is exaclty what prima facie evidence means - at first sight, on the face of it; in contrast, no, it is actually very solid evidence - not quite 'proof' perhaps but evidence that would have to be refuted as to presence on the day of arrival)
As I noted: I am not sure what the disagreement is about, whether it is substantive or procedural, as to terminology, or perhaps perspective.

I hope I am not cherry picking out of context, but on the practical question side of things you comment: "applicants hoping that they can just rely on entry/exit info to solve everything have misplaced expectations," and you acknowledge "Now I doubt IRCC will ever use this term prima facie evidence" . . . (and to be clear, I have looked, knowing how to look, and have found not a hint that IRCC, IAD panels, FC justices, or in PR presence cases the Minister's counsel, even refer to the CBSA records supporting an inference of presence let alone consider CBSA travel history to be prima facie evidence of presence -- and I'd be much interested in any source otherwise).

That is, you appear to agree that IRCC primarily uses the CBSA travel history as a tool for testing the reliability of the PR's reporting.

And, likewise, you appear to agree that IRCC does not say that the CBSA travel history constitutes prima facie evidence of presence (as in, does not use the term).

You hedge some about the extent to which IRCC officials consider CBSA travel history "sufficient," but of course to even get an application into processing the PR MUST, absolutely MUST attest to dates they exited and entered Canada, and in addition to that provide a full address and work history. That much additional information is always necessary to sufficiently establish presence. So there should be no disagreement that IRCC officials will not consider the CBSA travel history to be sufficient documentation of presence. Not close.

At the risk of overstating things, if for example a PR does not disclose travel history details but, instead, states: "see my CBSA travel history records," the PR card or PR TD application will not lead to the issuance of a new PR card or PR TD no matter what the CBSA records show, even if the PR attaches a copy of CBSA records obtained through an ATIP request.

Which brings this to questions about the probative weight of the CBSA travel history records. But not objectively. Not in the context of an adjudication before a trier-of-fact. What is important here, the context here, is the weight or significance officials in IRCC give CBSA travel history records.

And what all my many thousands of words have been trying to illuminate is the way in which IRCC actually uses CBSA travel history records is essentially to make a binary judgment: do the CBSA records verify the PR's travel history, YES or NO.

If YES, if the PR's travel history is confirmed to be sufficiently reliable to make a determination of presence, end of story.

If NO, if looking at the CBSA records (and it warrants emphasizing, if looking at any other information) it appears there is reason to question the PR's presence, IRCC will request additional evidence, make further inquiry, or make an investigatory referral, or some combination of these, to more fully examine evidence of presence.

If and when IRCC's examination of the CBSA records raise questions about the PR's presence, so far as we can see IRCC turns to and relies on other evidence to make the presence determination.

Sure, the extent to which the CBSA records concur with or differ from the PR's declarations will undoubtedly influence the scope and depth of scrutiny. Nonetheless, in engaging in further examination of presence, there is no indication that IRCC otherwise makes inferences of presence based on the CBSA records. In the IAD and Federal Court decisions, in particular, there are scant indications of any inferences of presence based on CBSA records, and to the extent CBSA records are referenced this is almost always to identify discrepancies in the PR's account.

All of which leads back to the point of this, which is PRs can basically FORGET about the CBSA records (unless one needs them to help reconstruct their own travel history). In an application, get the dates right, no problem. Get the dates wrong, CBSA records will probably alert IRCC they are off. Or as said in the blog that @Ponga referenced, "Entry and Exit Records Will Leave You Nowhere to Hide."

Last edited:

SecularFirst

Nov 21, 2015
Apologies upfront for some repetition. Given the extent to which claims about reliance on CBSA travel history continually recur in RO and citizenship topics, it is important to be clear about what PRs can expect. And in this regard, for now (subject to change of course) PRs should NOT expect IRCC to use the CBSA travel history for any purpose other than to make a binary judgment: do the CBSA records verify the PR's travel history, YES or NO.

There's lots of strong argument that IRCC could and should use CBSA records for more than that. That's not what I have been discussing. I have been addressing how IRCC, for now, uses CBSA travel history records. And that's rather limited. IRCC uses the CBSA records to catch and identify, in the PR's declarations, any omissions, inaccuracies, inconsistencies, or incongruities . . . that is, to catch and identify any reason to question the PR's presence.

I am not sure what the disagreement is about, whether it is substantive or procedural, as to terminology, or perhaps perspective.

In my clumsy, wordy way, I have employed thousands of words to say some fairly simple, and I hope practical things. I have excuses for going long. For one, to a large extent I show-my-work.

In regards to the lengthy "primer" posts, it warrants repeating and emphasizing that NONE of this matters for the vast majority of PRs who meet the respective presence qualification (whether applying for citizenship or a PR card or a PR TD), and who completely and accurately report their travel history (with allowances for minor errors).

So, to be clear, for the PR who completely and accurately reports their travel history, there is no need to think about, let alone worry about how IRCC uses the CBSA travel history records.

Sometime ago @Ponga referenced and linked a blog entry titled "Entry and Exit Records Will Leave You Nowhere to Hide." I am not familiar with the source otherwise, so know nothing about its credibility, but that particular blog entry largely tells the practical side of the tale, as it is stated in its concluding paragraph:
The main takeaway is you must take care that you are fulfilling your physical residence requirements and that in any immigration application you should double or even triple-check all the information you submit. If you are uncertain of some dates or lengths of time or other information, you should explain that on a separate page or in any provided space in the forms used for the specific immigration application.

The discussion here is NOT for those who do that.

For others, the question is: "How does IRCC use CBSA travel history records?"

Repeating and rephrasing a little, the simple and practical answer is --
-- for IRCC, the CBSA travel history is primarily a tool for testing the reliability of the PR's reporting, not to show or establish a PR's presence​

Some might say that to the extent IRCC considers the CBSA travel history records to verify a PR's travel history, that is using the records to show and establish the PR's presence. That's a different discussion. That's about PRs who completely and accurately report their travel history. That should be a very short and simple discussion: for the PR who completely and accurately reports their travel history, IRCC can and probably will verify the travel history using CBSA entry records. End of that story.

This discussion is about how IRCC uses the CBSA travel history other than that, and is of import only if and when the CBSA travel history, or any other information, does not confirm the PR has completely and accurately disclosed travel dates.

In any event, I believe there is no disagreement that --
-- a PR applying for citizenship needs to be certain they have met the presence requirement​
-- for a PR making a PR card or PR TD application, they need to do likewise as to the PR Residency Obligation UNLESS they are relying on H&C relief​
-- it is imperative in any of these applications the PR report travel history dates completely and accurately, and acknowledge any uncertainty (also applies to PR relying on H&C relief)​

As I noted: I am not sure what the disagreement is about, whether it is substantive or procedural, as to terminology, or perhaps perspective.

I hope I am not cherry picking out of context, but on the practical question side of things you comment: "applicants hoping that they can just rely on entry/exit info to solve everything have misplaced expectations," and you acknowledge "Now I doubt IRCC will ever use this term prima facie evidence" . . . (and to be clear, I have looked, knowing how to look, and have found not a hint that IRCC, IAD panels, FC justices, or in PR presence cases the Minister's counsel, even refer to the CBSA records supporting an inference of presence let alone consider CBSA travel history to be prima facie evidence of presence -- and I'd be much interested in any source otherwise).

That is, you appear to agree that IRCC primarily uses the CBSA travel history as a tool for testing the reliability of the PR's reporting.

And, likewise, you appear to agree that IRCC does not say that the CBSA travel history constitutes prima facie evidence of presence (as in, does not use the term).

You hedge some about the extent to which IRCC officials consider CBSA travel history "sufficient," but of course to even get an application into processing the PR MUST, absolutely MUST attest to dates they exited and entered Canada, and in addition to that provide a full address and work history. That much additional information is always necessary to sufficiently establish presence. So there should be no disagreement that IRCC officials will not consider the CBSA travel history to be sufficient documentation of presence. Not close.

At the risk of overstating things, if for example a PR does not disclose travel history details but, instead, states: "see my CBSA travel history records," the PR card or PR TD application will not lead to the issuance of a new PR card or PR TD no matter what the CBSA records show, even if the PR attaches a copy of CBSA records obtained through an ATIP request.

Which brings this to questions about the probative weight of the CBSA travel history records. But not objectively. Not in the context of an adjudication before a trier-of-fact. What is important here, the context here, is the weight or significance officials in IRCC give CBSA travel history records.

And what all my many thousands of words have been trying to illuminate is the way in which IRCC actually uses CBSA travel history records is essentially to make a binary judgment: do the CBSA records verify the PR's travel history, YES or NO.

If YES, if the PR's travel history is confirmed to be sufficiently reliable to make a determination of presence, end of story.

If NO, if looking at the CBSA records (and it warrants emphasizing, if looking at any other information) it appears there is reason to question the PR's presence, IRCC will request, make further inquiry, or make an investigatory referral, or some combination of these, to more fully examine evidence of presence.

If and when IRCC's examination of the CBSA records raise questions about the PR's presence, so far as we can see IRCC turns to and relies on other evidence to make the presence determination.

Sure, the extent to which the CBSA records concur with or differ from the PR's declarations will undoubtedly influence the scope and depth of scrutiny. Nonetheless, in engaging in further examination of presence, there is no indication that IRCC otherwise makes inferences of presence based on the CBSA records. In the IAD and Federal Court decisions, in particular, there are scant indications of any inferences of presence based on CBSA records, and to the extent CBSA records are referenced this is almost always to identify discrepancies in the PR's account.

All of which leads back to the point of this, which is PRs can basically FORGET about the CBSA records (unless one needs them to help reconstruct their own travel history). In an application, get the dates right, no problem. Get the dates wrong, CBSA records will probably alert IRCC they are off. Or as said in the blog that @Ponga referenced, "Entry and Exit Records Will Leave You Nowhere to Hide."
Now the question is if IRCC is not considering cbsa entry exit record exclusively for establishing physical presence, on what grounds they are questioning “cutting it close” cases, where someone is actually spending required days but just barely?
I just plan to spend 1096 days and sending in my citizenship application and leaving the country. I am willing to spend exactly 1096, follow the rules, pay taxes,follow all requirements and leave after that. I wish they use the CBSA record to verify it and dont unnecessarily delay my case as I’ll be “cutting it close”.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Now the question is if IRCC is not considering cbsa entry exit record exclusively for establishing physical presence, on what grounds they are questioning “cutting it close” cases, where someone is actually spending required days but just barely?
I just plan to spend 1096 days and sending in my citizenship application and leaving the country. I am willing to spend exactly 1096, follow the rules, pay taxes,follow all requirements and leave after that. I wish they use the CBSA record to verify it and dont unnecessarily delay my case as I’ll be “cutting it close”.
Not sure how often this needs repeating:

In the Citizenship part of this site there are several topics responsive to your query, including how-much-buffer-is-prudent; and there is, in particular, extensive discussion regarding leaving Canada after applying (with lots of contrary views expressed); generally the nature of logistical and procedural risks (yes, there are some additional risks) are outlined and discussed there.
By the way, IRCC does not need "grounds" to question a citizenship applicant's physical presence, whether cutting-it-close or applying based on 1800 days of presence.

See, for one example among scores and scores, the topic titled "RQ versus Physical Presence Questionnaires, including CIT 0205" here https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/rq-versus-physical-presence-questionnaires-including-cit-0205.534082/ and, see more recent posts in that thread, a number of them in June 2021 following this:
Just to be clear, however, it demands reiterating that IRCC does NOT need a "reason" to make RQ-related requests. But, of course, we recognize that certain factors will likely increase the risk that IRCC does make RQ-related requests.
here: https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/rq-versus-physical-presence-questionnaires-including-cit-0205.534082/page-29#post-9487476

That noted, what will trigger elevated scrutiny of presence does indeed loom far larger in the context of an application for citizenship. Good news for the applicant who completely and accurately reports travel history dates, the CBSA records will likely confirm the dates of entry and NOT be a reason for IRCC to have questions about the applicant's presence.

Whether other circumstances trigger concerns, indicating a reason to question presence, is of course a big subject, which again is more fully discussed in several Citizenship topics. If IRCC does question the applicant's presence, such as for some other reason (or in a random quality assurance context), how it goes will of course depend on the nature, extent, and quality of evidence of presence the applicant provides in response. The applicant should not expect the CBSA records to be of much if any help.