+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

one month less for 2years period

modak

Nov 27, 2008
We(Me, my husband and our two minor kids) landed as immgrants to canada in oct 2005 and applied for PR cards and came back to US in one week and our PR card expires in Nov.2010.
but say in Jan.2009 if we move to Canada permanently will our time be counted or we have to apply again after Nov.2010 as our PR cards expires on that date. But untill then can we work and stay legally and apply for renewal or not.
Please someone give me advice. Right now we are in US on H1-B visas.
I am also very much worried about the life in Canada will it be more expensive in canada than US ?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The residency requirements to keep your PR is not being outside Canada for more than total 1095 days in each 5 year period. That is 3 out of 5 years. So if you landed in oct 2005 and only stayed one week and never went back to Canada, you officially lost your PR status in october 2008, that is after having been gone for 3 years+ and not able to meet the residency requirement for your first 5 years as a PR. If you try to go back to Canada in January, you may succeed or you may be stopped and questioned for how long you have actually been in Canada since you landed and asked to prove your residency in Canada to keep your PR which you obviously can't because you were not living here. If you get in to Canada without being challenged on this, you can work and stay legally but don't leave Canada and don't apply to renew your PR card until January 2011 when you have been in Canada for a solid 2 years and do not have to lie on your PR card renewal form. There is no law in Canada that you have to have a PR card when you are a PR except if you want to travel.