+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

One last try: CEC

Rockologist

Star Member
Jan 15, 2018
I lived in Canada for 10 years, got a degree in a Canadian university and spent almost 4 years working in the appropriate NOC positions, yet due to a few things (including blowing a PNP by misunderstanding it), had to leave in summer 2019 because my work permit expired and my employer chose to eliminate my position.
Since then I've tried to get back up, to no avail. But with the recent EE draws allowing such low CRS scores, I'm contemplating one last attempt at an ITA.

The catch is I have to re-enter the pool, which will require another visit to CELPIP. Before I drop the money on that, I'm trying to clarify whether this requirement

• have at least 12 months of full-time (or an equal amount in part-time) skilled work experience in Canada in the three years before you apply

should be understood as requiring ONE FULL YEAR WITHIN THE LAST 3 or if the years experience I have (roughly two and half PT) qualify AS THEY WERE COMPLETED WITHIN THE LAST 3 YEARS.

Does that make sense?
Just wondering if anyone has an idea. Thanks!

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I lived in Canada for 10 years, got a degree in a Canadian university and spent almost 4 years working in the appropriate NOC positions, yet due to a few things (including blowing a PNP by misunderstanding it), had to leave in summer 2019 because my work permit expired and my employer chose to eliminate my position.
Since then I've tried to get back up, to no avail. But with the recent EE draws allowing such low CRS scores, I'm contemplating one last attempt at an ITA.

The catch is I have to re-enter the pool, which will require another visit to CELPIP. Before I drop the money on that, I'm trying to clarify whether this requirement

• have at least 12 months of full-time (or an equal amount in part-time) skilled work experience in Canada in the three years before you apply

should be understood as requiring ONE FULL YEAR WITHIN THE LAST 3 or if the years experience I have (roughly two and half PT) qualify AS THEY WERE COMPLETED WITHIN THE LAST 3 YEARS.

Does that make sense?
You need one year of Canadian full-time experience within the last three years so one year of experience since May 2018. Anything before that doesn’t count.

Reactions: Rockologist

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

Does that make sense?
The rules are extremely clear.

You would need to have at least 1560 part time hours of work experience in Canada that fall WITHIN the three year period before you apply.

It's not about when the work experience was completed. It's about when each of the hours was gained as work experience. In order to be counted, the hours have to fall within the three year period. Any hours of work experienced gained that fall outside of the 3 year period don't count.

So the first part of your statement is the right definition (ONE FULL YEAR WITHIN THE LAST 3). The second part is not the right definition (AS THEY WERE COMPLETED WITHIN THE LAST 3 YEARS).

Reactions: Rockologist

AMC1985

Star Member
May 4, 2020
If it is your last shot, you should go all out. Appear for your CELPIP/ IELTS..whatever it is.

Tomican

Feb 20, 2020
Hi all guys,
I have a question, If I am in EE, with Noc A, then I was laidoff. Now, I got a job Noc D. Am I still available?

Rockologist

Star Member
Jan 15, 2018
The rules are extremely clear.

You would need to have at least 1560 part time hours of work experience in Canada that fall WITHIN the three year period before you apply.

It's not about when the work experience was completed. It's about when each of the hours was gained as work experience. In order to be counted, the hours have to fall within the three year period. Any hours of work experienced gained that fall outside of the 3 year period don't count.

So the first part of your statement is the right definition (ONE FULL YEAR WITHIN THE LAST 3). The second part is not the right definition (AS THEY WERE COMPLETED WITHIN THE LAST 3 YEARS).

I can always count on you to rain on my parade with the hard reality, hahahahahahaha ! Thanks for taking the time, it's always appreciated. I've learned that when you miss an opportunity, there aren't too many others to follow. Pretty sure after giving a decade to my Canadian life, it's probably the end of the road.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I can always count on you to rain on my parade with the hard reality, hahahahahahaha ! Thanks for taking the time, it's always appreciated. I've learned that when you miss an opportunity, there aren't too many others to follow. Pretty sure after giving a decade to my Canadian life, it's probably the end of the road.
Didn't you get married to a Canadian? Or am I confusing you with someone else? If you got married to a Canadian, that definitely gives you a very solid path to PR!

Rockologist

Star Member
Jan 15, 2018
Didn't you get married to a Canadian? Or am I confusing you with someone else? If you got married to a Canadian, that definitely gives you a very solid path to PR!
I did, great memory! I'd hoped to make it back on my personal merit, still.

mailman234

Star Member
Apr 28, 2021
I did, great memory! I'd hoped to make it back on my personal merit, still.
If you got married to a Canadian why didn't you take the sponsorship route? You still earnt it because someone wanted you there for reasons that are equally as valuable as your professional skills...

Rockologist

Star Member
Jan 15, 2018
I'm bumping this thread to see if anyone knows how IRCC determines work hour totals. (Yes, I'm eligible for Sponsorship, but am not pursuing that route ATM for personal reasons).

-When they're looking at the LAST 3 YEARS, are they calculating it by day or year (does the year start Jan 1, or is is three years prior to the day you submit your EE profile /apply)?

-How do they verify 1560 hours (my former boss is no longer at my last employer, and I'm unsure if those records are even on file still-it was a very small non-profit)? Or is the onus entirely on the applicant?

Obviously, trying to get that info out of IRCC is uh...difficult. Hopefully my question was clearly worded.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I'm bumping this thread to see if anyone knows how IRCC determines work hour totals. (Yes, I'm eligible for Sponsorship, but am not pursuing that route ATM for personal reasons).

-When they're looking at the LAST 3 YEARS, are they calculating it by day or year (does the year start Jan 1, or is is three years prior to the day you submit your EE profile /apply)?

-How do they verify 1560 hours (my former boss is no longer at my last employer, and I'm unsure if those records are even on file still-it was a very small non-profit)? Or is the onus entirely on the applicant?

Obviously, trying to get that info out of IRCC is uh...difficult. Hopefully my question was clearly worded.
- By day. In the three years prior to the day you submit your application, you must have at least one year of full time work experience that falls entirely within that 3 year period.

- The onus is on the applicant. If IRCC has doubts that you have the required number of hours / required number of weeks, they can request further evidence in the form of pay slips, etc. Note that any hours above 30 hours a week cannot be counted to make up additional work experience. Basically this means you need to have 52 separate weeks within the last 3 years before you apply where you worked at least 30 hours in each of those weeks.