+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Once approved, Tips for SIN/Healthcare

nedvert

Star Member
Jan 23, 2013
Hi there.

Just wouldn't mind getting some modern advice - I know there are other threads but would love to hear some thoughts today.

We will be approved hopefully soon and I had called in and apparently for healthcare in Ontario, they will need proof of address but will ONLY accept mailed documents that happened after we land; not before. That's what the lady from service Ontario said on the phone. I thought this was a bit weird. Any tips for proof of address since I won't have any statements or details until perhaps a month or more later; the lady did say we would qualify and could reimburse once the health care was active.

Next up for the SIN; I read some threads that said people got it at the Toronto airport? How is this possible via proof of address since they require financial institution or government mail. Would any correspondence about my application and such be considered good enough? Any thoughts here would help as well.

Any other things anyone would think I would need to accomplish let me know if you can just trying to do some due diligence ahead of time.

Thanks!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
You can't do healthcare in Ontario before you land. You can either get some kind of bill or a lease that lists your name on it. (For those with family you can ask your landlord to do a lease with all including children on it - service Ontario accepts this no problem. Our landlord and agent called this a government lease IE they would not normally list kids). Service Ontario will issue an OHIP number on the spot.

Side note: busy with long lines at service Ontario but the lines move quickly and can be done fast if you have everything in order. Ours was not straightforward and even so was pretty fast - we were impressed. Because of lines though don't show up at the end of the day.

I understand you can do sin at airport if you arrive within certain hours. We did not and I did it online with no difficulty. I don't recall exactly how we showed address but it was similar. The sin number comes by mail, a matter of weeks in most cases it seems.

EwIslandgirl

Star Member
May 11, 2021
Hi there.

Just wouldn't mind getting some modern advice - I know there are other threads but would love to hear some thoughts today.

We will be approved hopefully soon and I had called in and apparently for healthcare in Ontario, they will need proof of address but will ONLY accept mailed documents that happened after we land; not before. That's what the lady from service Ontario said on the phone. I thought this was a bit weird. Any tips for proof of address since I won't have any statements or details until perhaps a month or more later; the lady did say we would qualify and could reimburse once the health care was active.

Next up for the SIN; I read some threads that said people got it at the Toronto airport? How is this possible via proof of address since they require financial institution or government mail. Would any correspondence about my application and such be considered good enough? Any thoughts here would help as well.

Any other things anyone would think I would need to accomplish let me know if you can just trying to do some due diligence ahead of time.

Thanks!

Did you receive Aip?

nedvert

Star Member
Jan 23, 2013
Thanks for the reply.

Weird the lady on the phone said that it had to be mailed. And they would look for the date of mail landing before landing/etc. What would you recommend if I will be staying at least for the first few months with my uncle and family. I will be staying there and then looking for a permanent place but want to make sure we still get covered. Just worried about that darn address haha.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
And they would look for the date of mail landing before landing/etc. What would you recommend if I will be staying at least for the first few months with my uncle and family. I will be staying there and then looking for a permanent place but want to make sure we still get covered. Just worried about that darn address haha.
Look at the web pages for OHIP applications. They give examples of types of address evidence - utilities, leases, insurance, etc. There's no reason in principle you couldn't be added to lease or some other acknowledgement from owner/landlor that you are residing there.

nedvert

Star Member
Jan 23, 2013
Look at the web pages for OHIP applications. They give examples of types of address evidence - utilities, leases, insurance, etc. There's no reason in principle you couldn't be added to lease or some other acknowledgement from owner/landlor that you are residing there.
Ok thanks that might be an idea. What if my family actually owns the house can they just "lease" it to me and that would be accepted. I think so based on your answer. Thanks for this.

MJSPARV

Sep 17, 2020
You can do the sin in person at Service Canada. Had to make an appointment but it was easy - filled out a request online for an appointment, someone called me the next day, and I had an appointment for the day after that. Took about 10 minutes to get it at the appointment and they give you the number right then and there.

You can do it online or by mail but my understanding is that they need more docs if it's not done in person and it can be a couple weeks to get it.

Kimbear

Star Member
Aug 25, 2021
In Ottawa I had to call in to Service Canada to make an appt for a SIN, they woudl'nt take walkins and the appointment was a month out almost. And that was just to change my name to married since we just moved back, we are doign inland. Ohip is very particular about what types of proof of residence you bring, it has to be a mailed document to your present house your living at in Ontario your permanent address, utility bill, insurance bill, or a lease. you can find the list of items here: https://www.ontario.ca/page/documents-needed-get-health-card. i had to go back twice. they are real sticklers. wouldn't even accept my temporary drivers licence.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Ok thanks that might be an idea. What if my family actually owns the house can they just "lease" it to me and that would be accepted. I think so based on your answer. Thanks for this.
You must have a phone. You can bring your current bill for your phone which will have your name, address and the date,

nedvert

Star Member
Jan 23, 2013
Thanks Kimbear. I heard that too. Where I will be staying it will be with my uncle and he owns the house so I guess I can get a hand written letter with the notification that I will be residing there. Honestly, I won't have a any utilities or bills under my name perhaps a cell phone afte ra month or so. The lady did say on the phone that if you have to wait to qualify you can pay for you expenses for health out of pocket and then get reimbursed since once you do give your proof, it will backdate to landing.

Just wish it wouldn't be so much hassle since in some particular scenarios the proof of address would only be my family's words and a note until I get settled which might be a few months. I don't intend to put phone lines in or other stuff but do want to have to not worry about any health issues ASAP.

Will check out Alberta as that's where I will be settling the Ontario stuff was for when my mother was sick and I thought I was coming back early to take care of her.

nedvert

Star Member
Jan 23, 2013
You must have a phone. You can bring your current bill for your phone which will have your name, address and the date,
The phone that I am using in the Philippines :) ? I am not sure that will count for a Canadian address. I have lived outside of the country for 14+ years.

Though at the very worse will take out some temp 1 month or so medical insurance, "get" a phone if i can and then apply when the first bill comes in. Seems a bit ridiculous to have to do something like that but since I won't be renting for a while and not 100% sure they will just accept a note from my uncle.

Anyway :) I appreciate all the help :)

Kimbear

Star Member
Aug 25, 2021
proof of address is becomming more and more of an issue lately due to many utilities and companies using electronic bills and even banks charging to send paper statements as well lately. :(

nedvert

Star Member
Jan 23, 2013
proof of address is becomming more and more of an issue lately due to many utilities and companies using electronic bills and even banks charging to send paper statements as well lately. :(
It's like that here even in the Philippines and a lot of them don't (the companies) really consider it a big deal when the only reason people care is not for "getting the bills" that way but for proof of address.

MJSPARV

Sep 17, 2020
We were able to get TD to give us a print out of the current balance which showed our address then the stamped it to show it was official and that was accepted on NB as a proof of address. Your mileage may vary in other provinces but at least here it worked and it seemed to be a standard thing for TD to do

Reactions: armoured