+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

On first arrival post receiving the PR, is the SIN given at the airport itself?

Discussion in 'Permanent Residence in Canada' started by Tanushree, Aug 13, 2017.

  1. Hi everyone,

    My query is regarding the next steps post receiving the PR :
    - I understand that it is mandatory to make a visit to Canada within one year from the medical report date
    - In this first visit, is it also mandatory to apply for the SIN (Social insurance number) - some people have informed me that this is now given at the airport, hence one need not apply for it - is this correct?
    - Also, are there any other mandatory tasks to be undertaken on the first visit?

  2. No, it's not mandatory to apply for SIN or health cards on your first landing. You can do them later. And the SIN is not automatically given at the airport...you still have to separately apply for it. Some airports may have Service Canada kiosks where you can apply for your SIN, but it also depends if you land during office hours.

    That said, there's no harm in applying for SIN sooner or later, really depends on when you want to work in Canada or open bank accounts or receive government benefits.
  3. I landed at Toronto airport. They do not give you a SIN number automatically. You will have to visit Service Canada center to apply for it. It is a very easy and fast process. They will give you the SIN number right there in 5 to 10 minutes.
    At the airport, they will automatically apply for your PR card and the card will be delivered to the address that you provide to the officer. If they do not ask you, please ensure that you confirm that they have a Canadian address where the PR cards will be delivered. You can give your friend or relatives address since it will take some time to arrive. Please ensure that you ask the officer and confirm the address they take for the PR card delivery.
  4. Actually can't apply for health cards on a soft landing.
  5. Apart from SIN, are there any other cards / memberships one can apply for when doing soft landing? I would be in either Toronto or Vancouver for around 4-5 days time during my soft landing.
  6. Maybe a bank açcount and credit card, but that's it for a soft landing.
  7. Would not recommend any financial accounts. You want to minimize any ties if you don’t want to pay taxes. All depends on when you plan on returning.
  8. Just opening a bank account will make me liable for taxes?

Share This Page