+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

On first arrival post receiving the PR, is the SIN given at the airport itself?

Tanushree

Aug 9, 2017
Hi everyone,

My query is regarding the next steps post receiving the PR :
- I understand that it is mandatory to make a visit to Canada within one year from the medical report date
- In this first visit, is it also mandatory to apply for the SIN (Social insurance number) - some people have informed me that this is now given at the airport, hence one need not apply for it - is this correct?
- Also, are there any other mandatory tasks to be undertaken on the first visit?

Thanks!

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Hi everyone,

- I understand that it is mandatory to make a visit to Canada within one year from the medical report date
- In this first visit, is it also mandatory to apply for the SIN (Social insurance number) - some people have informed me that this is now given at the airport, hence one need not apply for it - is this correct?
- Also, are there any other mandatory tasks to be undertaken on the first visit?

Thanks!
No, it's not mandatory to apply for SIN or health cards on your first landing. You can do them later. And the SIN is not automatically given at the airport...you still have to separately apply for it. Some airports may have Service Canada kiosks where you can apply for your SIN, but it also depends if you land during office hours.

That said, there's no harm in applying for SIN sooner or later, really depends on when you want to work in Canada or open bank accounts or receive government benefits.

yodheydhara

Sep 12, 2016
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
09-10-2016
Hi everyone,

Thanks!
I landed at Toronto airport. They do not give you a SIN number automatically. You will have to visit Service Canada center to apply for it. It is a very easy and fast process. They will give you the SIN number right there in 5 to 10 minutes.
At the airport, they will automatically apply for your PR card and the card will be delivered to the address that you provide to the officer. If they do not ask you, please ensure that you confirm that they have a Canadian address where the PR cards will be delivered. You can give your friend or relatives address since it will take some time to arrive. Please ensure that you ask the officer and confirm the address they take for the PR card delivery.

nrsinquest

Star Member
Jun 23, 2018
Actually can't apply for health cards on a soft landing.
Apart from SIN, are there any other cards / memberships one can apply for when doing soft landing? I would be in either Toronto or Vancouver for around 4-5 days time during my soft landing.

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
08-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2016
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
Apart from SIN, are there any other cards / memberships one can apply for when doing soft landing? I would be in either Toronto or Vancouver for around 4-5 days time during my soft landing.
Maybe a bank açcount and credit card, but that's it for a soft landing.