Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Montreal
App. Filed.......
28-06-2018
AOR Received.
08-08-2018
My husband was a PR from the age of 9 after landing with his mother who was a PR due to marrying a Canadian citizen. He is British. He moved back to the UK at 18, and has been here for 16 years. We married 10 years ago, and he has just been offered a fantastic job opportunity in Canada working for an old family friend. It is not a job that would pass an LMIA.

He has a permanent SIN with a card, but left Canada before the PR cards were introduced. He had to surrender his Alberta driving licence to get his UK one. He has visited Canada several times for a couple of weeks at a time and has never been stopped or sent for secondary inspection - it would appear he does not show up as a PR and is travelling on a visa exempt passport, so just walks through immigration.

If he was to travel to Canada and take up this job, the only problems we can see are these:

A) He is sent for secondary inspection when they somehow realise he is a PR and hasn't met his RO. Should his PR be revoked, he would not be able to simply stay in Canada for 2 years and apply for a PR card

B) He is going to need a copy of his mother's IMM1000 (which lists him too) to get hold of an Alberta driving license. She has applied for a replacement document, but this looks like it will take 6 months according to CIC

C) He will need this driving license to get his healthcare card. He could drive on his UK license for 1 year, but with just a British passport and UK Driving license and SIN card, he wont be able to get health card. I think the website says that if he has the IMM1000 and an Alberta driving license, he can get the health card.

Are there any elements I have misunderstood, or could he enter as a visa exempt, start work (with SIN) and after 2 years, apply for a PR card? Has anyone successfully done this?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Plenty of people have done it but I am not sure he can legally drive on his UK license that long if he is a resident. They usually only give you 3 months if he's not a visitor.

He will most likely also have to get his SIN re-activated since he hasn't been using it in years. However, this is not supposed to be a big deal. He will have to show up at Service Canada with some ID and fill out some forms.

He can not sponsor you for PR until he meets the RO again as doing that would get him examined as well.

Sep 3, 2015
Alberta
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Montreal
App. Filed.......
28-06-2018
AOR Received.
08-08-2018
Thank you Leon. So if he has to get his SIN reactivated, will that not prompt an examination? I mean wouldn't they wonder why it has been out of use for so many years? Or is it a different department that wont care!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
thisischristine said:
Thank you Leon. So if he has to get his SIN reactivated, will that not prompt an examination? I mean wouldn't they wonder why it has been out of use for so many years? Or is it a different department that wont care!
The SIN reactivation will not prompt an examination of his PR status. Different departments.

Sep 3, 2015
Alberta
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Montreal
App. Filed.......
28-06-2018
AOR Received.
08-08-2018
Just to update this...We came to Canada in Feb 2016. Entered as visitors. He started work, there didn't appear to be any need for re-activation of his SIN. He gave it to his employer and that was the end of it. When his mother's IMM1000 was verified with a Verification of Status document (about July 2016) he went and got an Alberta driving license, using that letter and his SIN. His healthcare was reinstated immediately - no issues. He went to a registry office and showed the driving license with our address. At this point we knew that we just had to wait for the RO to be met so he could sponsor us. The children and I left in July 2016 for 2 months, and re-entered in September 2016. At this re-entry I was sent to secondary. I was completely honest about what we were doing and was basically told to go through but don't keep re-entering, and don't ask for visitor record. Implication being: overstay, but I didn't tell you that. So we did.

Husband's RO was met in February 2018, we sent in sponsorship application. It was returned in May 2018 with the reason that my son's passport photocopy was not there. It was, and it was in the returned document bundle. Did it again in June 2018 following the new guidelines, and received AOR in June 2018. We're very close! I'm expecting this to be completed by June 2019, in time for me to begin university in September 2019 as a domestic student.

The children have had no issues attending school as one parent is a PR. However, only my husband has Alberta health care and I cannot work.