+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OHIP Required - Delayed decision on WP extension

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I am pretty sure I have seen a doctor in the past too and didn't had to pay anything for consultation or prescription(had to pay dispensing fee). This was a long time ago when I didn't even knew I qualified for provincial health care and used my medical insurance plan instead. At this point my insurance company raised flag and called me to check why I don't have provincial health coverage. Lol
Extended healthcare benefits rarely covers doctors visits. Canada doesn't have a national pharmacare program so most pharmacies do direct billing as well as accept cash, credit cards, etc.

Reactions: scylla

Potlaa

Oct 12, 2015
Hi All,

I had submitted my Work permit extension applition along with my visitor extension on 27 August as my work permit was going to expired on 27 November.

There is huge delay in taking decisonon my application. I am still waiting for decison.
Meanwhile my wife is pregnant and our health card (OHIP) was valid till 27 November.

I was taking treatment from St Micheal but as my health card is expired they are asking me to deposit CAD $15692 as advance delivery fee.

Now I am not sure when my WP will get processed and same time i need services from St Micheal. Please advise if anybody has such experience.
Option:
1. Can I and my wife get OHIP even my WP is under review status?
2. Is it mandatory to submit advance fee for non OHIP to any hospital in Toronto dealing with pregnancy cases?
3. Do we have OBs clinics which donot take such advance fee?

Any pointers will be healpfull.

Thanks,
Hello, If you have already applied for PR and got an AOR, you can appeal for OHIP coverage and will be approved for temporary health card benefits. You can search "OHIP during implied status" in this forum and you will the documents you need to file along with appeal letter.