+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OHIP Required - Delayed decision on WP extension

vikas20

Star Member
Oct 11, 2014
Hi All,

I had submitted my Work permit extension applition along with my visitor extension on 27 August as my work permit was going to expired on 27 November.

There is huge delay in taking decisonon my application. I am still waiting for decison.
Meanwhile my wife is pregnant and our health card (OHIP) was valid till 27 November.

I was taking treatment from St Micheal but as my health card is expired they are asking me to deposit CAD $15692 as advance delivery fee.

Now I am not sure when my WP will get processed and same time i need services from St Micheal. Please advise if anybody has such experience.
Option:
1. Can I and my wife get OHIP even my WP is under review status?
2. Is it mandatory to submit advance fee for non OHIP to any hospital in Toronto dealing with pregnancy cases?
3. Do we have OBs clinics which donot take such advance fee?

Any pointers will be healpfull.

Thanks,

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi All,

I had submitted my Work permit extension applition along with my visitor extension on 27 August as my work permit was going to expired on 27 November.

There is huge delay in taking decisonon my application. I am still waiting for decison.
Meanwhile my wife is pregnant and our health card (OHIP) was valid till 27 November.

I was taking treatment from St Micheal but as my health card is expired they are asking me to deposit CAD $15692 as advance delivery fee.

Now I am not sure when my WP will get processed and same time i need services from St Micheal. Please advise if anybody has such experience.
Option:
1. Can I and my wife get OHIP even my WP is under review status?
2. Is it mandatory to submit advance fee for non OHIP to any hospital in Toronto dealing with pregnancy cases?
3. Do we have OBs clinics which donot take such advance fee?

Any pointers will be healpfull.

Thanks,
1. No, you can't get OHIP while on Implied Status.

2. Not mandatory but hospitals can and generally do require deposits upfront. They do this because so many others have defrauded our healthcare system.

3. Midwives don't charge but they are in high demand and it is difficult to find one.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Should mention that midwives generally take only a small number of uninsured patients because they are paid by OHIP. Tests, supplies and any hospital services will have to be paid by you even with a midwife.

vikas20

Star Member
Oct 11, 2014
1. No, you can't get OHIP while on Implied Status.

2. Not mandatory but hospitals can and generally do require deposits upfront. They do this because so many others have defrauded our healthcare system.

3. Midwives don't charge but they are in high demand and it is difficult to find one.
Thanks for reply. Acutally i am covered with insurance. Insurance company provide hospital with guarantee letter of payment but Hospital doesnot agree to same. Insurance companies told me they doesnot provide payments in advance. To an extend I also agree with insurance company. But its kind of stuck system. Are there obstetrics clinic in Toronto who charge patients according to per visit ? i wil pay such payments and get it reinbursed from my insurance company. Please advise.

King.bill

Star Member
Dec 6, 2018
Thanks for reply. Acutally i am covered with insurance. Insurance company provide hospital with guarantee letter of payment but Hospital doesnot agree to same. Insurance companies told me they doesnot provide payments in advance. To an extend I also agree with insurance company. But its kind of stuck system. Are there obstetrics clinic in Toronto who charge patients according to per visit ? i wil pay such payments and get it reinbursed from my insurance company. Please advise.
Have you explored direct billing? A lot of insurance companies have direct billing.

vikas20

Star Member
Oct 11, 2014
Have you explored direct billing? A lot of insurance companies have direct billing.
Thanks. Not yet. But I will ask hospital for same. But again question would be it will be advance payment and may be insurance company willing in it. Not sure. But Thanks. I wil keep this in mind and ask insurance compnay.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks. Not yet. But I will ask hospital for same. But again question would be it will be advance payment and may be insurance company willing in it. Not sure. But Thanks. I wil keep this in mind and ask insurance compnay.
Have you provided the hospital with a copy of your insurance policy. Insurance companies often try to find loopholes to avoid paying which is one of the reasons why the hospital may want to receive advanced payment. You will have to call around to see how each OB bills. Since most patients don't pay cash it is up to the individual doctor or institution to decide how they will bill patients. I would probably try doctors who are not located in a hospital (including hydro building which is really Mt Sinai).

King.bill

Star Member
Dec 6, 2018
Canadian doctors and hospitals are not usually set-up for direct billing because it is rarely used.
I just got my eye exam done which was covered under my extended health care plan. The optometrist themselves suggested they can direct bill the insurance provider.
It can save this person a lot of stress as I am sure they are already dealing with a lot.

vikas20

Star Member
Oct 11, 2014
Have you provided the hospital with a copy of your insurance policy. Insurance companies often try to find loopholes to avoid paying which is one of the reasons why the hospital may want to receive advanced payment. You will have to call around to see how each OB bills. Since most patients don't pay cash it is up to the individual doctor or institution to decide how they will bill patients. I would probably try doctors who are not located in a hospital (including hydro building which is really Mt Sinai).
ok. Thanks. I will try to googl e doctors who doesnt work for hospitals.

vikas20

Star Member
Oct 11, 2014
I just got my eye exam done which was covered under my extended health care plan. The optometrist themselves suggested they can direct bill the insurance provider.
It can save this person a lot of stress as I am sure they are already dealing with a lot already.
I will ask for direct billing.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
It can save this person a lot of stress as I am sure they are already dealing with a lot.
Optometrist are not covered under provincial plans so they are set-up for various forms of payments.

King.bill

Star Member
Dec 6, 2018
Optometrist are not covered under provincial plans so they are set-up for various forms of payments.
Exactly! Direct bill is needed/available if provincial plan does not cover which is the case here. I didn't wanted to pay 100 bucks and wait for reimbursement let alone 15k. Lol.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Exactly! Direct bill is needed/available if provincial plan does not cover which is the case here. I didn't wanted to pay 100 bucks and wait for reimbursement let alone 15k. Lol.
Direct billing may be available at health professionals who are not covered by provincial healthcare plans. Almost all people showing up at a hospital or doctor have provincial healthcare so there is no need for direct billing to be set-up. Clinics have to pay to set-up direct billing in their clinic.

King.bill

Star Member
Dec 6, 2018
Direct billing may be available at health professionals who are not covered by provincial healthcare plans. Almost all people showing up at a hospital or doctor have provincial healthcare so there is no need for direct billing to be set-up. Clinics have to pay to set-up direct billing in their clinic.
I am pretty sure I have seen a doctor in the past too and didn't had to pay anything for consultation or prescription(had to pay dispensing fee). This was a long time ago when I didn't even knew I qualified for provincial health care and used my medical insurance plan instead. At this point my insurance company raised flag and called me to check why I don't have provincial health coverage. Lol