+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OHIP coverage during Implied status

Sunny2015

May 25, 2015
Just wanted to share my ordeal of being in implied status (Existing WP expired, renewal in process) and in appalling need of having OHIP coverage due to my wife’s pregnancy. This might help someone as I faced a lot of challenges getting right info and help

Situation
Existing WP expiry: August (OHIP also expires)
Wife’s Visitor Record Expiry: August (Same as my WP)
Renewal applied by my employer: July
Current CIC processing time: 4 Months :'(
Wife’s due date: November (exactly when the renewed WP is expected, OHIP can be renewed only with original hard copy of latest WP)
Problem: Last trimester, Doctors, Midwifes, Labs and Hospital...all without OHIP
Apprehensions :
1) Baby may be delivered before WP is renewed (this came true, baby was born in Oct). :)
2) New WP will have a start date when it is approved and not from last expiry date (This also came true, new WP/VR was valid starting Nov. Hence a gap in validity and so will be in OHIP coverage)
Impact: No OHIP coverage when baby was born??? :eek:

What I did:
1) 1st visited main Service Ontario location and explained my situation. They gave me an “Eligibility assessment” letter mentioning that my wife is eligible for coverage and new OHIP version code will be provided once new WP/VR is received from CIC. This letter helped me to convince Doctors, Midwifes, Labs and Hospital to hold on for billing for few days. (Generally they will agree for 1-2 months depending upon situation)
2) When new WP/VR came, Service Ontario issued new OHIP starting the date new work permit was issued.
3) Main point: They reinstated the old expired OHIP and extended the expiry date from Aug to Nov to match with start date on new OHIP and hence eliminating any gap in coverage. For this they need to see the Remarks “Status maintained as per R183(6)” in her new VR.

This solved the problem and original OHIP was used by everyone. Hope this info helps

Additional point: If your dependent spouse stays outside the Ontario (province) even for 1 day without you being with her/him, the dependent spouse loses OHIP (PHIP) coverage and has to wait for three months again after coming back to become eligible for coverage

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,I have a question that I came here with my wife in canada on a visitor visa.During our stay in canada I got an opportunity from an employer to work for him.So the process for LMIA was started , in between that we applied for visa extension which got rejected.At the moment we are here on Implied status as both have applied for restoration.My wife is 4 months pregnant so my question is ‘Can We visit a doctor on implied status as she doesn’t feel well?’ Somebody told me that we cannot visit a doctor unless we regain our status. Your answer would be appreciated
You are both visitors you both don’t qualify for OHIP. Your employer applying for an LMIA and you getting a WP are not even guaranteed. You will need to be prepared to likely pay all your wife’s pregnancy costs plus any NICU payments which are ridiculously expensive if you are doing birth tourism. You and your wife should be returning to India if you do not have the money to pay for the care and your restoration is not guaranteed since you don’t have a good reason to remain in Canada. How are you on implied status? You are asking for restoration but are out of status if you are asking for restoration of visitor status. If you have been refused and visitor extension your chances of getting restoration is very low.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
LMIA letter has been approved for the employer and so we applied for the restoration with the letter in the application.My main concern is to visit a doctor for her check up and tests for pregnancy.Can she visits a doctor on implied status?
No neither of you are entitled to OHIP as visitors. Not sure where you are getting that you are on implied status. You were denied a visitor status extension. I assume your previous status expired so you have no status. You are currently waiting to see if your status will be restored to visitors. Assume you may have also applied for a work permit. The chances of you having OHIP coverage anytime soon is minimal because even if you get a work permit there is a 3 month wait period to access OHIP. If you don’t have the extra 15K minimum your wife should return home. You may have to return home anyways. Your visitor extension has already been denied so the restoration could be denied as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sam Singh

Renii

Jul 19, 2017
Hi
I know the thread is couple years old but I am in alike situation.
In implied status, ohip expired sep19/2019, i thought i will wait until will get proper paperwork to renew my ohip(bcs already experienced troubles with that when i was requesting my first ohip), but actually I having some health issue so is need to see doc soon or it would be helpful to go.
My question is what kind of documents( from employer, lawyer..) did you bring them that time or whoever else has experienced it and got it renewed, what would you suggest to do?
Thanks for any suggestion, advice.,help ..

burlvisa

Sep 21, 2020
My wife and I had this issue in Feb 2020 so I want to give some guidance to anyone who might be in this situation now.

Problem
The work visa expires in february 2020 but the baby is due in march. We applied for the work visa in august 2019 but because of problems with it we had to reapply in december 2019. with a 4 month processing time we wouldnt have it by the time the baby was due march 2020.

note: We were applying for PR at the same time.

Steps taken:
- tried to buy private insurance (LOL!)
- We visited service ontario in hamilton with our problem. They do not issue OHIP cards without a letter stating that you have your PR (Confirmation of Permanent Residence), or that your work visa was accepted, or some other letter from the OHIP review board.
- visited the local MP. The local MP did not expedite the work visa. We were advised to get a Verification Of Status (VOS) letter with urgent processing but this also did not accomplish anything since you cant get a VOS if you have a valid work visa.
- Wrote the MPP. They were able to contact the OHIP Review board. This might have helped get attention to our case.

Solution

This is what worked

1) we wrote a letter to the OHIP Review board in the middle of january 2020. We explained the problem and included contact information. We stated that we had applied for a work visa but didnt have proof that it was being processed yet. we included: current work permit, correspondence with IRCC, letter from midwife proving pregnancy.
2) we received a call or email from the OHIP review board agent. They stated we needed proof of the work visa application.
3) used the IRCC online request form to ask IRCC to confirm that they had received the work visa.
4) received confirmation that the work visa was in processing from IRCC
5) emailed this confirmation to the OHIP review board agent.
6) the ohip review board agent submitted the case to the ohip review board.
7) the ohip review board approved the OHIP extension for 4 months to cover the period between the expiration of the work visa and the receipt of the new work visa. (Because of covid the work visa actually took 8 months to process not 4)
8) The ohip review board agent sent a letter stating that OHIP was extended
9) a few days later an OHIP card arrived

but wait theres more!

10) the extended ohip expired before the work visa was approved because covid delayed processing of work visas! Before this occurred we emailed the OHIP review board agent who we worked with and that person extended the OHIP card by a year and mailed a new card. OHIP did this for everyone as an emergency measure because of covid.

Note:
I believe the rule is that if you apply for your work visa before your current one expires that you are implied to have a valid status in canada until a decision is made (hence: implied status). Implied status is really hard to prove to anyone. We had to contact the OHIP review board and prove to them that the work visa was in processing to get ohip.

we had to do the same thing with the CRA to get the child benefits since the SIN expires as soon as your work visa does. child benefits are tied to the mother.

I dont remember exactly where I sent the letter. I believe it was one of the addresses here:
https://www.ontario.ca/page/apply-ohip-and-get-health-card

so if you're in this situation start writing letters. Good Luck. Try to relax.

Lbatallanos

Aug 7, 2019
My wife and I had this issue in Feb 2020 so I want to give some guidance to anyone who might be in this situation now.

Problem
The work visa expires in february 2020 but the baby is due in march. We applied for the work visa in august 2019 but because of problems with it we had to reapply in december 2019. with a 4 month processing time we wouldnt have it by the time the baby was due march 2020.

Steps taken:
- We visited service ontario in hamilton with our problem. They do not issue OHIP cards without a letter stating that you have your PR (Confirmation of Permanent Residence), or that your work visa was accepted, or some other letter from the OHIP review board.
- visited the local MP. The local MP did not expedite the work visa. We were advised to get a Verification Of Status (VOS) letter with urgent processing but this also did not accomplish anything since you cant get a VOS if you have a valid work visa.
- Wrote the MPP. They were able to contact the OHIP Review board. This might have helped get attention to our case.

Solution
This is what worked

1) we wrote a letter to the OHIP Review board in the middle of january 2020. We explained the problem and included contact information. We stated that we had applied for a work visa but didnt have proof that it was being processed yet. we included: current work permit, correspondence with IRCC, letter from midwife proving pregnancy.
2) we received a call or email from the OHIP review board agent. They stated we needed proof of the work visa application.
3) used the IRCC online request form to ask IRCC to confirm that they had received the work visa.
7) the ohip review board approved the OHIP extension for 4 months to cover the period between the expiration of the work visa and the receipt of the new work visa. (Because of covid the work visa actually took 8 months to process not 4)

but wait theres more!

10) the extended ohip expired before the work visa was approved because covid delayed processing of work visas! Before this occurred we emailed the OHIP review board agent who we worked with and that person extended the OHIP card by a year and mailed a new card. OHIP did this for everyone as an emergency measure because of covid.

Note:
I believe the rule is that if you apply for your work visa before your current one expires that you are implied to have a valid status in canada until a decision is made (hence: implied status). Implied status is really hard to prove to anyone. We had to contact the OHIP review board and prove to them that the work visa was in processing to get ohip.

we had to do the same thing with the CRA to get the child benefits since the SIN expires as soon as your work visa does. child benefits are tied to the mother.

I dont remember exactly where I sent the letter. I believe it was one of the addresses here:

hey ! thank you for your post! we are in the same situation, my due date is Feb 2021 and my work permit expires in Jan 2021. We already applied for PR and we plan to apply for the BOWP this week, but it's a relief to read your case and I hope (fingers crossed) I'll get the same process!

burlvisa

Sep 21, 2020
hey ! thank you for your post! we are in the same situation, my due date is Feb 2021 and my work permit expires in Jan 2021. We already applied for PR and we plan to apply for the BOWP this week, but it's a relief to read your case and I hope (fingers crossed) I'll get the same process!
good luck. don't delay.

Xiena

Oct 16, 2018

Problem

Steps taken:

Solution
This is what worked

but wait theres more!

Note:

hi, did you succeed in getting Child benefit while on implied status?

burlvisa

Sep 21, 2020
hi, did you succeed in getting Child benefit while on implied status?
yes we did. I believe that we applied at birth with all the paperwork for the child and then the CRA sent us a letter stating that we needed to prove implied status and then we replied by mail with printouts of the emails from IRCC.

maurmore13

Star Member
Apr 24, 2018
yes we did. I believe that we applied at birth with all the paperwork for the child and then the CRA sent us a letter stating that we needed to prove implied status and then we replied by mail with printouts of the emails from IRCC.
I called today to CRA and the agent stated that on implied status they do not pay ccb. I got my new work permit and now they said that won't pay retroactive. What can I do pls advice

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I called today to CRA and the agent stated that on implied status they do not pay ccb. I got my new work permit and now they said that won't pay retroactive. What can I do pls advice
Looks like you didn’t have status in Canada and we’re applying for PR via H&C. Assume that is why you don’t qualify for CCB. Did you just get approved for PR and that’s when CCB payments started?

maurmore13

Star Member
Apr 24, 2018
I had status... I came in 2016 I was in wp since 2017 till september 2020 when it expired and ccb stopped. I applied for renewal on August 2020 before expired date. I finally got answer in october 2022 (approved) and asked to resume ccb. Today I received my first ccb but payment was not retroactive through my time as implied status

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I had status... I came in 2016 I was in wp since 2017 till september 2020 when it expired and ccb stopped. I applied for renewal on August 2020 before expired date. I finally got answer in october 2022 (approved) and asked to resume ccb. Today I received my first ccb but payment was not retroactive through my time as implied status
When you applied to renew an OWP on what grounds? You may have applied for a closed work permit if your employer had a LMIA but what were the grounds for the OWP?