+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCWP while being part time in final semester. Help!

lazycrazyboon

Star Member
Apr 27, 2016
Hi All,

I am a graduate student, I have been studying at Carleton U for about 2 years(1 PT term, 4 FT terms). I only have my master's project left to finish for this final semester. I am considering switching to part-time status to save on tuition fee. I currently work part-time (<20 hours). Am I allowed to continue to works part-time if I switch my student status to part-time ?
I am confused because the new rules state that a student may work up to 20 hours or full-time given that the student is regisereted as a full-time status. I have also found a document (from some other thread on this site) stating as below -
" If students meet all the eligibility requirements,with the exception of full-time status, but are in their last session, they will still be considered to be eligible for the program. For example, at an institution, students are required to be enrolled in at least four classes to be considered to have full-time status. A student in the last session of the program of study needs to take only two additional classes to receive a Canadian credential from that institution. That student will still be eligible for the work permit under the OCWP. They will, however, still be restricted to working a maximum of 20 hours per week during this period."
Is the above rule still effective after the 2014 rule changes?
In a nutshell what I am asking is - Is it safe to convert to part-time and continue working part-time in my last semester.

Any response is appreciated.

NemesisBR

Star Member
Sep 17, 2015
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Winnipeg
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
21-06-2018
Interview........
14-08-2018
Passport Req..
14-08-2018 ?
Maybe your answer is here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/work-offcampus.asp

Hope it helps.

Cheerz

lazycrazyboon

Star Member
Apr 27, 2016
I have read that page. If I go by that page then I am not eligible to work but the directive(that is from 2010) that I posted suggested otherwise.
I called cic and they sent me below information by email -

Full-time students pursuing an academic, professional or vocational training program at a designated learning institution can be:

Eligible to work off campus without a work permit,
Allowed to work off campus for up to 20 hours per week during a regular academic session and full time during regularly scheduled breaks, and
Able to work off campus immediately rather than waiting six months.
Exceptionally, you are considered eligible to work off campus for a maximum of 20 hours per week if you are:

Not studying full-time but are completing the last session of your last year of study, or

A graduate student who has completed the required courses for your degree.

J5M

Champion Member
May 15, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

lazycrazyboon said:
Hi All,

I am a graduate student, I have been studying at Carleton U for about 2 years(1 PT term, 4 FT terms). I only have my master's project left to finish for this final semester. I am considering switching to part-time status to save on tuition fee. I currently work part-time (<20 hours). Am I allowed to continue to works part-time if I switch my student status to part-time ?
I am confused because the new rules state that a student may work up to 20 hours or full-time given that the student is regisereted as a full-time status. I have also found a document (from some other thread on this site) stating as below -
" If students meet all the eligibility requirements,with the exception of full-time status, but are in their last session, they will still be considered to be eligible for the program. For example, at an institution, students are required to be enrolled in at least four classes to be considered to have full-time status. A student in the last session of the program of study needs to take only two additional classes to receive a Canadian credential from that institution. That student will still be eligible for the work permit under the OCWP. They will, however, still be restricted to working a maximum of 20 hours per week during this period."
Is the above rule still effective after the 2014 rule changes?
In a nutshell what I am asking is - Is it safe to convert to part-time and continue working part-time in my last semester.

Any response is appreciated.

The rule is applicable to those students who have NO option to be a full time in the last term of school. If you are changing to a PT status by your 'own choice', it doesn't apply.

lazycrazyboon

Star Member
Apr 27, 2016
I am not an undergrad. I am in grad-school, they never switch you to part-time. You could be registered one half credit course and they wl still consider you full time unless you switch to part-time.
I called up cic again- They told me that I can be part time in my last semester if my two previous semesters were full time.

lazycrazyboon

Star Member
Apr 27, 2016
I got myself out of this situation.. After talking to cic customer care guys multiple times and consulting with the student office at my university, I continued working as a part-time student (only limited number of hours, I think it is 20 hours a week..but I usually worked only 15 hours).
I applied for PGWP and was granted one for full three years.
However here is the catch -
I could have been okay to work since it was summer semester, which is considered a break in my university, a break is a special case and a student is allowed to work during breaks.
Here is the important piece of information I recieved from CIC guys -

"Who can work off campus

Generally, you must be registered as a full-time student in order to be eligible to work off campus.

The new rules that took effect on June 1, 2014, make it easier for study permit holders to work off campus.

Full-time students pursuing an academic, professional or vocational training program at a designated learning institution can be:

Allowed to work off campus for up to 20 hours per week during a regular academic session and full time during regularly scheduled breaks, and
Exceptionally, you are considered eligible to work off campus for a maximum of 20 hours per week if you are:

Not studying full-time but are completing the last session of your last year of study, or

Please note that a graduate student doing a PH.D. or Master’s thesis has the opportunity to complete a dissertation outside the school environment.
."

Shaon

Nov 25, 2017
I got myself out of this situation.. After talking to cic customer care guys multiple times and consulting with the student office at my university, I continued working as a part-time student (only limited number of hours, I think it is 20 hours a week..but I usually worked only 15 hours).
I applied for PGWP and was granted one for full three years.
However here is the catch -
I could have been okay to work since it was summer semester, which is considered a break in my university, a break is a special case and a student is allowed to work during breaks.
Here is the important piece of information I recieved from CIC guys -

"Who can work off campus

Generally, you must be registered as a full-time student in order to be eligible to work off campus.

The new rules that took effect on June 1, 2014, make it easier for study permit holders to work off campus.

Please note that a graduate student doing a PH.D. or Master’s thesis has the opportunity to complete a dissertation outside the school environment.
."
Hi. I am in the similar situation. I will have finish all of my 4 semesters as a full time but as i change program in similar level so i have to do one part time in my last semester because that course is a prerequisite to the course and need for graduation so is there any prblm to get pgwp? thank you..