+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

****OCTOBER 2019 Inland Spousal Sponsorship****

KuroNeko26

Mar 12, 2018
California
I'm honestly done with this bs. It makes me angry to see people after me getting their OWP approved and received in the mail when I can't even link the stupid thing to even know if it got approved or not or if I'll ever even get it. I'm really thinking about just going back to the states so I won't have to deal with this stress and anxiety anymore.

PrincessButtercup

Oct 1, 2019
Ottawa
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
30-10-2019
AOR Received.
24-12-2019
Med's Request
07-28-2020
Med's Done....
08-05-2020
Interview........
N/A (COVID)
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
N/A
LANDED..........
09-28-2020
Does it means we don't have to renew our OWP anymore once we got our PR?
Yes, I believe you are correct. Once we have PR we're good to work [almost] anywhere without any special permits, just as a Canadian citizen would be.

I see the approved OWP during the PR process as something to hold us over and have us start making money and paying Canadian taxes while we're living here and waiting for PR approval. My guess is that they give the 2-year duration for the OWP in case your PR is delayed beyond the 12-months approval time.

ParagK0711

Jan 30, 2020
Hi - My IRCC agent has applied (inland paper application) for my spousal PR and OWP on 23rd Oct 2019, however we have not received any updates. Does anyone as how I can find out any status about my application?

Katt

Feb 10, 2019
Yes, I believe you are correct. Once we have PR we're good to work [almost] anywhere without any special permits, just as a Canadian citizen would be.

I see the approved OWP during the PR process as something to hold us over and have us start making money and paying Canadian taxes while we're living here and waiting for PR approval. My guess is that they give the 2-year duration for the OWP in case your PR is delayed beyond the 12-months approval time.
That sounds good. Thank you so much :)

Reactions: PrincessButtercup

PrincessButtercup

Oct 1, 2019
Ottawa
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
30-10-2019
AOR Received.
24-12-2019
Med's Request
07-28-2020
Med's Done....
08-05-2020
Interview........
N/A (COVID)
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
N/A
LANDED..........
09-28-2020
Hi - My IRCC agent has applied (inland paper application) for my spousal PR and OWP on 23rd Oct 2019, however we have not received any updates. Does anyone as how I can find out any status about my application?
Is 23 October 2019 the day the paperwork was mailed off by your representative? If so, your timeline is similar to mine.

Since it has been 90+days and you haven't received an AOR email, I'd reach out to your representative. The Government is slow, but most of us in a similar timeframe heard something back within 60 days, EVEN if it is your application being returned for missing paperwork, signatures, underpayment, etc. There should definitely be a status of some sort they can provide for you after 90 days.

Good luck!

strssincanada

Star Member
Oct 9, 2010
I'm honestly done with this bs. It makes me angry to see people after me getting their OWP approved and received in the mail when I can't even link the stupid thing to even know if it got approved or not or if I'll ever even get it. I'm really thinking about just going back to the states so I won't have to deal with this stress and anxiety anymore.
Ya I feel your frustration. I am pretty sure you have tried all ways to link it. Not sure if any one told but did you send representative form? if so, you must try to link it with rep account. I acted as my wife representative and I sent two representative form one for OWP and one for PR application (Use of a Representative [IMM 5476] ), along with two Release of Information for each application.

If you have tried all avenue I would suggest you to call IRCC. Also, I was reading somewhere that sometime immigration officer doesn't create an online application to link, they just send you approval letter.

Best of Luck

Last edited:

Conaider

Star Member
Mar 22, 2018
Hi all,

I am going to quote @spyfy from a Citizenship application thread (so things like ATIP request might not be applicable). And yes, I know immigration is always frustrating and for somebody who is within the timelines (for this one process) is all easy to say "be patient". Still, every single person in this forum is, so far, within the timelines. OWP processing period is up to 5 months, and PR is 12. Also, at the end of the day, stressing out is not going to move anything faster or help in anyway.

"Seriously, everyone needs to chill. Please be aware of selective perception:
You only see the cases that move faster than normal, you only read and worry about why they are so fast. Meanwhile your brain ignores the majority of cases that are still in process. That's like only seeing that one person making more money than you but not seeing the many many people who make less money than you.

Look at the spreadsheets and you will see most people are still in process. There is no ATIP request, no call, no worrying about some random detail in your application that will make your application go faster.

Situation:
Think of being at city hall, 100 people waiting to be called. They told you "you have to wait for an hour normally". But 30 minutes in, about 20 people's names were already called.

Some forum members here:
OMG I wonder what is wrong with me? Is it because I didn't say "hello" when I walked in? Am I sitting in the wrong corner of the waiting room? Let me run to the counter and ask what's up.

What you should think instead:
Well, they told me it will take one hour, and so far only 20/100 people have been called, so probably everything is normal. Good for those who got called early, but that always happens, nothing unusual here.

I don't want to get too meta, but comparing yourself to others too much can drive you insane, don't overdo it. There is always someone whose citizenship application got processed faster, there is always someone who got a better deal on that flight, there is always someone who got that last ticket for the Lady Gaga concert.

Is it worth freaking out about it? No."

Reactions: Shanghai911

Conaider

Star Member
Mar 22, 2018
Hi all,

I am going to quote @spyfy from a Citizenship application thread (so things like ATIP request might not be applicable). And yes, I know immigration is always frustrating and for somebody who is within the timelines (for this one process) is all easy to say "be patient". Still, every single person in this forum is, so far, within the timelines. OWP processing period is up to 5 months, and PR is 12. Also, at the end of the day, stressing out is not going to move anything faster or help in anyway.

"Seriously, everyone needs to chill. Please be aware of selective perception:
You only see the cases that move faster than normal, you only read and worry about why they are so fast. Meanwhile your brain ignores the majority of cases that are still in process. That's like only seeing that one person making more money than you but not seeing the many many people who make less money than you.

Look at the spreadsheets and you will see most people are still in process. There is no ATIP request, no call, no worrying about some random detail in your application that will make your application go faster.

Situation:
Think of being at city hall, 100 people waiting to be called. They told you "you have to wait for an hour normally". But 30 minutes in, about 20 people's names were already called.

Some forum members here:
OMG I wonder what is wrong with me? Is it because I didn't say "hello" when I walked in? Am I sitting in the wrong corner of the waiting room? Let me run to the counter and ask what's up.

What you should think instead:
Well, they told me it will take one hour, and so far only 20/100 people have been called, so probably everything is normal. Good for those who got called early, but that always happens, nothing unusual here.

I don't want to get too meta, but comparing yourself to others too much can drive you insane, don't overdo it. There is always someone whose citizenship application got processed faster, there is always someone who got a better deal on that flight, there is always someone who got that last ticket for the Lady Gaga concert.

Is it worth freaking out about it? No."
Just to add to this, the amount of people in the spreadsheet is by no means a representative sample.. so this timelines are not representative of how the process goes for everyone.

Tmcdchef87

Star Member
Dec 14, 2018
You need to relax and take a nice, long, deep breath. This happens to some people. There are even instances where people get their PR approved BEFORE their work permit (they were some of the first people approved actually). Remember, every application is unique. There was a time where everyone was getting their PR approved and my wifes was not. We started to get stressed but took a step back and voila - she recieved her COPR. I find the less you think about it, the faster it gets approved.

I even had one guy on here who had his work visa approved and they LOST his card in the mail. He didn't recieve his work permit 'til three months later (and he had his PR a month later, go figure).

Your anger and resentment are honestly leading you nowhere. Perhaps take a break from these forums - trust the process. If you do decide to go home then your PR app will be invalid.

Every one of us going through the PR process has experienced tense, nervous situations such as yours. Breath brother. I'm sure it will all come together. Your OWP was not returned. It's being worked on.

kashatxx

May 8, 2014
Hi all,

I'm currently on a PGWP that expires in late November of 2020.
I applied for sponsorship through my wife who's a Canadian citizen.
I didn't apply for OWP.

If 12 months is the processing time for sponsorship, should I:

1. apply for an extension to my work permit? or apply for a new OWP? how does that actually work in this situation?
2. wait out until October 2020 to get my PR and not bother?

Thanks to all who will reply!