+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

October 2013 Citizenship Applications

ramsfe

Nov 15, 2013
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello Everyone!

So...Since friday, I am a Canadian Citizen!

I sent my application on the 15th of October 2013, CIC started processing it on the 17th of January 2014, I passed my test and my interview on july 14th 2014 and I became a citizen on september 5th at 8:30 Am :)

I have a few recommendations to help those who want to avoid problems. First of all, demystify the process... Keep in mind that if you are well prepared, serious, and have a clean file, you should have no reasons not to become a citizen in a timely manner. Before filing the appication, ask yourself the right questions : whatever you think is not clear to you, it will surely not be clear to CIC, so do your best to make everything CLEAR, don't hesitate to clear things up by writing explanation letters that are straight to the point and by adding them to your application. Well, first step is to fill up the application correctly, making sure that you are filling up the latest version and that no information is missing, should you have nothing to say at any of the questions, write N/A or S/O in french, this will make the agent understand that you actually read the question and that you confirm that you have nothing to say.

Secondly, about adding all sorts of supporting evidence to your application. Keep in mind that you, as a citizenship candidate, are required to prove that whatever you are saying is true. This being said, beware of excess! No need to send a full Bankers Box of documents, nobody will look at them, start by making sure that you have all the required documents, make sure that they are easily readable, that your story makes sense to you. Let someone else review your application for you, it might be boring, but honestly, we usually don't see the mistakes we make, so chances are that someone else will see them and help you correct them.

- Be very precises with the dates, should you not remember a date, ask for your Entry to Canada information from the Borders Agency, it is for free.
- Make sure that nothing is missing and if something is missing because you don't have it, either try to have it or write a letter to explain why you don't have it, knowing that " i don't know" is never a good answer.
- Don't even dream of applying if you are considering to hide information or to scam the system, simply follow the rules and take the time it needs to qualify by actually living here. If you fraud, you might get away with it, but you will never be at peace and your citizenship will always be at risk, honestly, waiting for a couple of months more and lawfully fulfilling the minimum requirements is a much better deal, if not, the only deal that you should think of!
- For the interview : Same thing, don't overdo it! Relax, sit back, and answer the agent's questions precisely. Also, know your passport by heart as no stamp should be there without you knowing why it is there. I personally used Mini post-its in my passport, every stamp had its little story.
- Enjoy applying for citizenship.... I personally didn't enjoy it at all, It was a very stressful period in my life, so don't take me as an example :)
- Should you have any questions before or after you apply, don't hesitate to contact CIC by phone, that's what the call center people are paid to do, don't ever worry about calling them too much or too little, if you feel that you need answers, then call them and ask straight to the point questions, remember that you are their Client and that you deserve answers. No, chances are that they don't take a note of every time you call them, unless you ask them to add an information to your file...calling them often doesn't slow up your application and calling them often doesn't make your file process faster, it just helps you understand where you are at at a specific moment.
- If you feel that your file is blocked and that you are totally sure about the integrity of your application, then don't hesitate to contact your federal deputee for help and information. They can't change the world, but they can get more information, and in some cases, support your file, by writing a support letter for example...

That's it I think :)

On ceremony day, you will see.... it is a touching moment. You suddenly start remembering all the things you have been through since you came to Canada, and when you get your certificate, you feel that it is an achievement, that you are fully part of this place now. It is a very nice feeling that I wish you will all go through as soon as possible.

acanar

Nov 21, 2013
Hey everybody,

My wife and I just came back from the citizenship test today at Scarborough Centre.
The exam was not difficult, I finished within two minutes.

After that, we were called for the interview. The immigration officer reviewed all the documentation and ask a few questions.

Finally, he gave us the notice to appear for the oath next week. Yes, pink sheets were being delivered to those applicants who had passed the test and didn't have any problems with passports stamps and dates. The officer told us that since last week, they were allowed to give oath invitations right after the test interview.

We are very happy to be able to become Canadians next week. Just wanted to share with you guys. Thanks for your support! :)

My timeline:
Mailed citizenship application: October 08, 2013
In process (eCas): December 11, 2013
AOR/Booklet received: January 14, 2014
Test done: September 16, 2014
Oath Invitation: September 24, 2014

Marky Mark

Sep 10, 2014
acanar said:
Hey everybody,
My wife and I just came back from the citizenship test today at Scarborough Centre.
The exam was not difficult, I finished within two minutes.
After that, we were called for the interview. The immigration officer reviewed all the documentation and ask a few questions.
Finally, he gave us the notice to appear for the oath next week. Yes, pink sheets were being delivered to those applicants who had passed the test and didn't have any problems with passports stamps and dates. The officer told us that since last week, they were allowed to give oath invitations right after the test interview.
We are very happy to be able to become Canadians next week. Just wanted to share with you guys. Thanks for your support! :)
My timeline:
Mailed citizenship application: October 08, 2013
In process (eCas): December 11, 2013
AOR/Booklet received: January 14, 2014
Test done: September 16, 2014
Oath Invitation: September 24, 2014
Congratulations Acanar.

janoo

May 16, 2014
Congratulation.... enjoy and prey for our case to be resolve soon.. am tired waiting

for almost 32 months...

fla3757

Jun 25, 2014
Hello everyone,

I became a Canadian Citizen on Sept 24, 2014. My application was received by the Sydney office on Oct 15, 2013. I got a letter on Aug 19, 2014 asking me to take the test on Fri, Sept 19, 2014. I passed the test scoring 20/20. On the day of the test following a review of my paperwork, test scores and interview, the officer handed me a letter asking me to come to the Citizenship ceremony on Wed, Sept 24 2014.

The ceremony was special. The judge gave a very meaningful speech on what it means to be Canadian.

Good luck to everyone who is still going through the process. Please feel free to let me know if you have questions.

summer2014

Star Member
Aug 24, 2014
fla3757 said:
Hello everyone,

I became a Canadian Citizen on Sept 24, 2014. My application was received by the Sydney office on Oct 15, 2013. I got a letter on Aug 19, 2014 asking me to take the test on Fri, Sept 19, 2014. I passed the test scoring 20/20. On the day of the test following a review of my paperwork, test scores and interview, the officer handed me a letter asking me to come to the Citizenship ceremony on Wed, Sept 24 2014.

The ceremony was special. The judge gave a very meaningful speech on what it means to be Canadian.

Good luck to everyone who is still going through the process. Please feel free to let me know if you have questions.
Congrats! That s wonderul!

CaMtl

Feb 25, 2014
Finally, Oath date! Received the letter on September 29 to get the oath on October 10.

Family application, test passed on June 6 :)

Good luck for all!

Baliman

Nov 17, 2014
Hi All

I have my interview next week. I am all prepared for the test but nervous about the interview (guess that's just me :) ) please can somebody list recent questions they were asked? I will be very grateful

My test is in Mississuaga

Regards
Baliman

Cha2

Star Member
Mar 25, 2014
Baliman said:
Hi All

I have my interview next week. I am all prepared for the test but nervous about the interview (guess that's just me :) ) please can somebody list recent questions they were asked? I will be very grateful

My test is in Mississuaga

Regards
Baliman
Hi Baliman,

Your nervousness is normal but trust me you've go nothing to be nervous about. By the end of next week you will laugh and see that you had absolutely nothing to fret about :D

The interview will not be like your normal job interview where you will asked to tell about yourself and why you will make a good Canadian citizen if granted citizenship :)
It's just going to be time when you get to just tell a little bit about yourself (if you are asked) and they check your I.D, the stamps on your passport and most importantly they want to see if you can communicate in English or French. Nothing to be nervous about - just feel free and chat with your interviewer. You will be fine.

Wishing you the best in your test!

sept15

Champion Member
Sep 26, 2010
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Probably everyone is a Citizen here but I wanted to let the empty forum know that i just got the test invite for feb 12.. applied in October 2013...

12om3

Star Member
May 23, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sept15 said:
Probably everyone is a Citizen here but I wanted to let the empty forum know that i just got the test invite for feb 12.. applied in October 2013...
Hey good luck for the test :)
What is your local office ?

Flute

Apr 5, 2014
sept15 said:
Forum is not empty. I am still around, waiting patiently for my turn to come. Latest I have heard is that all my background checks have been cleared this month. I am waiting for my citizenship written test to be scheduled. Every time I call the call centre, they have a standard response, that the processing time is 2 years, and I should not expect anything before that. They say, I will have to wait till Oct 2015 for the written test to be scheduled ! CIC has given itself ample, comfortable timelines, so they can continue working at a snails pace. I do not know of any OECD, G20 or G8 country that takes 3 years to process a citizenship application. CIC has become a glowing red advertisement for the inefficiency and red tape of the federal government. It need not be like this though. They can turn themselves around by hiring extra staff, re-designing their internal processes, asking for more budget if required and clearing the backlog. I have heard from insiders within CIC that they are using lot of contract staff (each person gets hired for 6 months only). These contract workers are not motivated at all. In fact, they are always looking for their next job. They don't have any skin in the game. CIC should give some thought to whether they can create the right incentives by offering some kind of reward/award to motivate their staff. I heard one incident wherein people showed up to take oath, and the room was not even prepared for the ceremony, creating great deal of embarrassment for CIC. It just goes on to show the shoddy manner in which staff there is operating with no concern for citizenship applicants. CIC staff is enjoying their life with tax payers hard earned money and causing great deal of suffering, misery and anxiety to all applicants.