+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

October 11th 2017 - Citizenship Applicants under 3/5 rule

jeff.torbain

Star Member
Aug 18, 2014
Does anyone have any experience or information about Citizenship Application being "Suspended" and put "On Hold" ... This happened immediately after I took my citizenship test.

jeff.torbain

Star Member
Aug 18, 2014
You can simply explain that to the officer that you forgot to mention it on the calculator. IMO, it's not a big deal at all.
I did as you advised.
I noticed that they put my application "On Hold" and it has been "Suspended" ... I don't know if that is the reason or not, but I think they are doing a "recheck" perhaps.

wvo2017

Nov 6, 2017
I did as you advised.
I noticed that they put my application "On Hold" and it has been "Suspended" ... I don't know if that is the reason or not, but I think they are doing a "recheck" perhaps.
See the following link:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/canadian-citizenship/admininistration/general-file-processing/procedure-suspending-applications.html

I think you can call them and ask them about the reason . In the meantime you can order ATIP notes as well to see the notes on your file

Reactions: dpenabill

evinecz

Star Member
Mar 31, 2011
I'm getting a bit worried, I passed my test on feb1 at Scarborough, and still nothing yet. My status is DM.

Who else is in the same boat as me?

SpiceIsland

Oct 2, 2017
Category........
CEC
App. Filed.......
24 August 2017
AOR Received.
02 October 2017
Interview........
29 November 2017
I'm getting a bit worried, I passed my test on feb1 at Scarborough, and still nothing yet. My status is DM.

Who else is in the same boat as me?
What I notice with Scarborough office is the earlier the test the later the Oath Invite unless you get lucky.

Reactions: jsm0085

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Does anyone have any experience or information about Citizenship Application being "Suspended" and put "On Hold" ... This happened immediately after I took my citizenship test.
CAUTION: The suspending of an application under section 13.1 in the Citizenship Act is almost always SERIOUS.

It warrants at the least visiting the website linked by @wvo2017:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/canadian-citizenship/admininistration/general-file-processing/procedure-suspending-applications.html

For Section 13.1 in the Citizenship Act see http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/C-29/page-5.html#h-7

The suspending of the application almost certainly means there is an INVESTIGATION in progress. And not a mere review of the particular eligibility requirements.

Applications can be suspended for YEARS. And, indeed, it appears that suspended applications quite often do encounter very long delays, many of them for YEARS.

And NO, this is not about failing to disclose a single day-trip to the U.S. It could be about misrepresentation related to travel history disclosures, but that would not be triggered by an isolated omission even if the omission was for an absence of many days.

I suspect you may deny knowing what this is about BUT that in fact you probably do have a very good idea what it is about. Or, if you think about it, you will have a good idea. Depending on what that is, you might want to seriously consider seeing a lawyer.

As you noted in your account of the test event, you were quite likely flagged before the test and interview.

Additional observations:

The decision to suspend an application is made by a Citizenship Officer, not just any processing agent.

There are all sorts of issues or problems which IRCC can and will make further inquiries regarding, even initiate some level of investigation, which HOWEVER will NOT trigger the suspending of the application.

For Example:
-- IRCC's discovery of a significant discrepancy in the applicant's travel history, for example, will typically lead to IRCC digging deeper and also making additional requests of the applicant, but even if the discrepancy suggests deliberate misrepresentation this does not typically result in suspending the application.
-- IRCC suspects the applicant may be prohibited for a criminal charge in Canada, for another example, and makes a referral to the RCMP.
Neither of these are likely to result in suspending the application. But they are of course serious matters.

Issues leading to the suspending of the application tend to be significantly more serious.

I cannot guess what the problem is in a particular case, but we know the more common reasons why applications are suspended:
-- pending inquiry/investigation of PR-refugee for potential cessation of protected person status (clearly NOT applicable here)
-- pending investigation of fraud (not mere misrepresentation in the Citizenship Application, so more likely for misrepresentations possibly made earlier in the immigrant's history, in the original PR application perhaps, or in a PoE examination at some time)
-- pending CSIS investigation for security concerns
-- pending RCMP investigation for criminality concerns (such as alleged involvement in a criminal organization, which could make a PR inadmissible even if NO criminal charges are made against the PR)

(In the not-so-distant past, IRCC also suspended applications pending inquiry/investigation/proceedings related to alleged breach of PR Residency Obligation. This has been less common in recent years; was more common when applications were often taking two or more years, and the applicant was living abroad in the meantime, living abroad long enough to potentially encounter PR RO compliance issues.)

Again, all these tend to be serious. All these can cause a very LONG DELAY (that said, some are likely to get resolved sooner than others, like the RCMP investigation is likely to get resolved a lot faster than a CSIS overseas investigation).

If you trust there really is nothing to worry about (no misrepresentations in your past, no reason for CSIS to determine there is a security concern, no criminality issues), it is possible the reason for suspending the application will be resolved in a relatively reasonable period of time (noting that based on your several expressions of impatience for the pace of processing for routine applicants, you probably need to entertain that much longer processing times are reasonable) and your application will be processed. There are, however, significant odds there is something to worry about . . . and that to get things resolved you may very well need the assistance of a lawyer.

Team,
I took the test today. It was easy. I have to say the hardest were the True/False questions, because the sentences had 90% true and 10% false information in them (which makes the correct answer False) and that creates a psychological hesitation. If you have a test coming up, be mindful of this little trick.
Interview was very quick and routine. I did take the opportunity to ask for Expedited Processing. The officer said they would take it to their manager and "call" me. I'll let you know if this really happens.
One observation I made was the group before us was with a different set of officers and some were told they will have their oath in a week.
Our group was the "trouble" group. We were all told to check the mail in a few months. One was actually told she should expect something in OCTOBER.
Anyways ... that's how the day unfolded. I was at Scarborough by the way.
ID: jeff.torbain
App type: Single
App Sent: Oct 11, 2017
App delivered: Oct 13, 2017
Physical Presence: 1365
Courier/Signatory name: Canada Post / Thomas Allan
My good people ... I need advise ... what happens if I forget a one day trip to US in my application?
I actually never went into the US, I flag poled. Does that even count?
Can I and should I contact IRCC to update?
Final note: Fraud investigations can be triggered just because the immigrant has used or been in any way associated with a consultant (authorized or not, disclosed or not) who has been investigated for fraud. It is not clear to what extent this is continuing, but it is fairly clear that even recently the RCMP, CBSA, and IRCC are targeting, for investigation, ALMOST ALL former clients of consultants involved in fraud. This has undoubtedly swept many innocent and unsuspecting immigrants into fraud investigations.

Reactions: garygnu and wvo2017

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
CAUTION: The suspending of an application under section 13.1 in the Citizenship Act is almost always SERIOUS.

It warrants at the least visiting the website linked by @wvo2017:

For Section 13.1 in the Citizenship Act see http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/C-29/page-5.html#h-7

The suspending of the application almost certainly means there is an INVESTIGATION in progress. And not a mere review of the particular eligibility requirements.

Applications can be suspended for YEARS. And, indeed, it appears that suspended applications quite often do encounter very long delays, many of them for YEARS.

And NO, this is not about failing to disclose a single day-trip to the U.S. It could be about misrepresentation related to travel history disclosures, but that would not be triggered by an isolated omission even if the omission was for an absence of many days.
This is probably the scariest post in the entire thread :eek:

Reactions: garygnu
Nov 9, 2017
Hi everyone!

For the sake of convenience, I am providing my timeline as under:

Application sent: October 16th 2017
Application received by IRCC: October 20th 2017
AOR date: Dec 1st 2017
In process: December 16 2017

*Waiting for test invite

I called IRCC office today and I have been advised that my file has been transferred to Mississauga office today, for scheduling of test date.
I was advised that I should be receiving test invite pretty soon.

Reactions: HappyAlto

nargisnnnn

Nov 22, 2017
Sharing my timeline here:

1. We received your application for Canadian citizenship (grant of citizenship) on October 19, 2017.
  2. We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s), and a study book called Discover Canada on November 23, 2017.
  3. We started processing your application on December 4, 2017.
  4. We sent you a notice on May 1, 2018 to appear and write the citizenship test on May 29, 2018 at 8:15 AM. The notice you will receive by mail will be your official confirmation of your appointment. If you have not received this notice prior to the date of your scheduled appointment, please contact us.
Still no DM. Called the call center they said that my application is sent to st. clair to clear the backlog in Scarborough office, criminal check passed, but other checks are still in process. No FP or QR yet.