+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

October 11th 2017 - Citizenship Applicants under 3/5 rule

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
I got my oath invitation today. I applied for me and my daughter as minor, and I received 2 emails to appear for both of us. Should minor appear at the oath ceremony? She is 3 years old. On the attached document in the email there is:

"IMPORTANT – PLEASE NOTE
A person aged fourteen (14) or older who is granted Canadian citizenship must take the Oath of Citizenship to
become a Canadian citizen. Children under 14 years of age are welcome but not required to attend. Parents and
their children, however, may be asked to leave the ceremony room or move to another area if their children disrupt
the ceremony. If you bring young children, plan to have a family member or friend available to take them out of the
room for you if they get restless. Remember that you will need to stay in the room for the full length of the
ceremony. If you cannot make suitable arrangements for child care, your ceremony can be rescheduled for a later
date."

My understanding was that I am the only one that needs to attend. But I received email for her also, so do I just print her "notice to appear" document? Is it normal for minor under 14years to get the invitation email?
It is normal that the invitation is sent to minors too, since they CAN attend the ceremony as new citizens.
They're free to come or not, and you will be handed your daughter's citizenship certificate regardless of her being with you on the ceremony.

Dark_Diamond

Nov 13, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC_Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Can anyone please advise how long the citizenship ceremony is?

upandgoing

Star Member
Mar 9, 2018
PLease can anyone answer

from Nov 2016 till current I had been working at XYZ. However from Jan 2017- Aug 2017 I studied as well as worked at the same place. How should I put that in question 11. Please can you correct me if I am wrong. I did it the following way.

DATES OCCUPATION ADDRESS WHERE PHYSICALLY LOCATED CITY

Aug 2017-Till Current Working Mississauga Workplace Mississauga
Jan 2017-Aug 2017 Working/Studying Mississauga Workplace/ Address of Sheridan College Mississauga/Brampton
Nov 2016-Current Associate Mississauga Workplace Mississauga

alvarorossa1

Nov 29, 2017
It is normal that the invitation is sent to minors too, since they CAN attend the ceremony as new citizens.
They're free to come or not, and you will be handed your daughter's citizenship certificate regardless of her being with you on the ceremony.
Thanks for the reply Seym.
There will be general area where guest can sit right? So she can come with my wife to be present in the room, but she will not take part of the actual ceremony? I am getting you correctly?
Or if she is sick or someting I can just go alone

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
Thanks for the reply Seym.
There will be general area where guest can sit right? So she can come with my wife to be present in the room, but she will not take part of the actual ceremony? I am getting you correctly?
Or if she is sick or someting I can just go alone
Yes, there's an area for guests.
Your daughter can either stay with her mother or with you if she's present.
But if you bring her along, why not let her sit with fellow new citizens. She is not required to pronouce the oath of citizenship, but will have a flag and some goodies :)

During my ceremony, the citizenship judge called all the kids that were becoming canadians to come join him upfront to sing the national anthem. Quite funny, she may love it ^^

Reactions: paritosh

ukulele

Jun 27, 2013
Do you know if we are allowed to get an express passport? Or is this option only for renewals?
this has been discussed many times on this forum... after the oath, give them 2-3 business days to put you into the system and then you can do the urgent application for your Canadian passport...

Reactions: paritosh

paritosh

Jan 12, 2010
Thats true. Even Oath letter has clear instructions about it. Below lines clearly answer it. I am just pasting it from email I got.

Please keep in mind that you must wait a minimum of 3 business days after your Citizenship Ceremony to apply for a Canadian Passport.

this has been discussed many times on this forum... after the oath, give them 2-3 business days to put you into the system and then you can do the urgent application for your Canadian passport...

alvarorossa1

Nov 29, 2017
Yes, there's an area for guests.
Your daughter can either stay with her mother or with you if she's present.
But if you bring her along, why not let her sit with fellow new citizens. She is not required to pronouce the oath of citizenship, but will have a flag and some goodies :)

During my ceremony, the citizenship judge called all the kids that were becoming canadians to come join him upfront to sing the national anthem. Quite funny, she may love it ^^
I read in an older post that someone was taking his oath and his kids was noisy so they order him to leave and take the oath some other day. Not sure how correct this is, it was posted on this forum. I am not sure how my daughter will behave :)

Dark_Diamond

Nov 13, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC_Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Can someone please advise what is the duration of oath ceremony?

btbt

Feb 26, 2018
I read in an older post that someone was taking his oath and his kids was noisy so they order him to leave and take the oath some other day. Not sure how correct this is, it was posted on this forum. I am not sure how my daughter will behave :)
You must have someone who can your daughter out of the room if she becomes restless.
You, as someone who is taking the oath, are not allowed to leave the room (if you do you will not become a citizen on that day).

(from https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/news/video/canadian-citizenship-ceremony-what-you-need-know.html :
"Also, if you have small children, plan to have a family member or friend available to take them out of the room for you if they get restless. Remember that you will need to stay in the room for the full length of the ceremony.")