+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

October 11th 2017 - Citizenship Applicants under 3/5 rule

btbt

Feb 26, 2018
Do you know if we are allowed to get an express passport? Or is this option only for renewals?
You can get urgent or express service for your first passport.

For urgent processing (meaning you can collect the passport on the 2nd business day after you submitted your application at a passport office) you need proof of travel.
For express pickup (meaning you can collected the passport 2-9 business days after you submitted the application at a passport office) you may be asked for proof of travel, but that is not always the case (I assume they ask for this when there is a spike in requests, so they can prioritise based on need/travel dates).

(There is no expedited service available for passport applications made by mail or at a receiving agent)

(You need to wait two business days after your citizenship ceremony before you can apply for a passport. So that's on the third business day after the ceremony.)

Reactions: dominicanx

imm_leb_01

Apr 3, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28 February 2013
AOR Received.
11 April 2013
Med's Request
25 April 2013
Med's Done....
8 May 2013
Interview........
RPRF Request june 18th
Passport Req..
26 February 2014
VISA ISSUED...
5 March 2014
LANDED..........
29 March 2014
Thanks! I know it's due to a background check by CSIS, not IRCC! But as I mentioned to some extent you are right that people from specific countries go through a lot more screen compared to others! In other words, targeted by Canadian agencies for further investigation!
Good luck to you too if you are waiting!
Are you still in process ?

CICOtawa

Star Member
Apr 17, 2015
For anyone foolish enough to not wait a few days, to not wait long enough to be sure the rollout goes smoothly, to not wait long enough to avoid being among the very first applications which total-stranger-bureaucrats are processing in the steepest part of their learning curve (learning and applying new rules and new forms and new instructions), that is, for those who will apply on October 11, 2017, the relevant four year prohibitions period of time will be October 11, 2013 to October 10, 2017.

That will not change. That's statutory; that is prescribed by statutory provisions which are not changed by Bill C-6 (and for which there are no pending changes proposed in Parliament).

The form, however, will change. A new form with new instructions will become available, perhaps in time that day to actually make an application that day. It is crucial to read and follow the NEW instructions.

As to who must submit a police certificate, that is not likely to change but it could change. So applicants need to wait to see the new form and new instructions before they can know for sure whether they will be changes and if so what those will be. As previously noted, the changes could range from revising the threshold (currently total 183 days in a country, and this could go up or down, but most likely will stay the same) to removing the requirement altogether (the latter perhaps because the applicant's declarations as to prohibitions already covers the relevant qualification for citizenship, which is no convictions in a foreign country during the previous four years).

Assuming there is no change (which is the most likely scenario), that is that the current criteria applies (183 days total in preceding four years), the October 11, 2017 applicant will need to check "yes" and provide a police certificate if the applicant spent a total of 183 days or more in a particular country (other than Canada) between October 11, 2013 and October 10, 2017.

Nonetheless, be sure to read the instructions and respond according to what the new form actually requires.
Lots of people sent their applications on OCT 11 and got their citizenship(including myself), You need to make an apology to people that you called fool and to those who you misled. The ones that their applications went down the line.

Reactions: sistemc

shenlong1

Oct 13, 2017
Hi.

I received the oath letter today.

Could you please update the spreadsheet?

Delivered: October 18, 2017
AOR: November 24, 2017
In Process: January 9, 2018
Fingerprint Request: January 29, 2018
Test Invite: February 6, 2018
Test Taken: March 1, 2018
Decision Made: March 2, 2018
Oath Letter: March 27, 2018
Oath Ceremony: April 24, 2018

City: Vancouver

Thanks

Reactions: garygnu

Pier

Mar 27, 2018
Hi.

We (My wife and I ) had our Citizenship test on February 15th in Vancouver. I know for some people, they are told that there will be background check but the officer told us that the next step is that we will be notified for oath date and ceremony. So I'm assuming there is no more background check in our case. My wife's status changed to DM a day after the test, however mine is still in process. Is there anyone similar to my case? What dose it actually mean?

Last edited:

rajmalhotra7

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi.

I received the oath letter today.

Could you please update the spreadsheet?

Delivered: October 18, 2017
AOR: November 24, 2017
In Process: January 9, 2018
Fingerprint Request: January 29, 2018
Test Invite: February 6, 2018
Test Taken: March 1, 2018
Decision Made: March 2, 2018
Oath Letter: March 27, 2018
Oath Ceremony: April 24, 2018

City: Vancouver

Thanks
Updated. Congrats!!

Soon-hopefully-s000n

Aug 16, 2013
Montreal
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
Cpp Ottawa
App. Filed.......
02-07-2012
Doc's Request.
RPRF: 18-06-2013
AOR Received.
23-07-2012
File Transfer...
In Process: 21-08-2013
Med's Request
30-08-2012
Med's Done....
31-08-2012
Interview........
Decision made: 24-10-2013
Passport Req..
Never (Sent passport on my own 15-11-2013)
VISA ISSUED...
2-12-2013 (got my passport back 4-12-2013)
LANDED..........
06-01-2014 - Montreal CIC office
This sentiment is really starting to become a trigger for me. Oh, no, wait... it already has. What evidence do you have to make such an assertion that IRCC is specifically targeting Iranians for the purpose of making their lives miserable in the citizenship process?
They have no evidence. They just say that to make them feel better and ease their frustration. Never heard something dumber than this. And I agree, sometimes the best advice is the harsh truth.

I feel sorry for all those who convince themselves or believe cheesy politicians who just want attention. I barely log into this forum because of these silly comments... and people who are lazy to GOOGLE the info themselves... like that’s IRCC number. How did you get it to this stage if you never called IRCC or never used Google. Smh

Reactions: OsamaR

btbt

Feb 26, 2018
Hi.

We (My wife and I ) had our Citizenship test on February 15th in Vancouver. I know for some people, they are told that there will be background check but the officer told us that the next step is that we will be notified for oath date and ceremony. So I'm assuming there is no more background check in our case. My wife's status changed to DM a day after the test, however mine is still in process. Is there anyone similar to my case? What dose it actually mean?
If they don't explicitly say your background check is done then you don't know that it was completed.

When they say "the next step is..." they usually mean "the next step you will see is...", so there is a chance your background check is still in progress.

The time it takes to complete a security clearance varies a lot. Other people on the forum have had similar experiences, where one or two people in a family get DM, while the others remain IP longer.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Lots of people sent their applications on OCT 11 and got their citizenship(including myself), You need to make an apology to people that you called fool and to those who you misled. The ones that their applications went down the line.
To be clear, I did not call anyone a fool.

In other posts I correctly pointed out that it was foolish to take an unnecessary risk in rushing to apply, especially given the nature of the changes and very little downside to waiting. In the post you quote, I merely pointed out what the relevant four year prohibitions period would be for those foolish enough to rush applying precisely on October 11, 2017.

Beyond that:

Taking unnecessary risks is foolish, a foolish act. Wise men and wise women acknowledge they occasionally will take a foolish, unnecessary risk. They are not fools. Like they acknowledge occasionally having made mistakes. (Those who insist they made no mistake are almost certainly mistaken.)

The reality, however, is that far more October 2017 applicants have applications which remain in limbo. In the meantime many have had their applications returned and had to re-apply. Many more than before have received Finger Print requests. A significant number have already been diverted into this or that non-routine process. There has been a surge in the number who were selected for the PPQ - QAE. How this is going to work out for the majority of those who applied in a rush yet remains UNKNOWN, but it is known that between returned applications and other reasons for gnashing of teeth, rushing to apply HAS NOT GONE WELL for more than a few.

The forum is rife with complaints asking why the process is taking so long especially when others who applied later are already ahead in processing.

In the meantime, however, taking unnecessary RISKS is foolish even if nothing bad happens. I took lots of foolish risks in my youth. Some risks were far more foolish than others. Mostly worked out. A small scar here and there to document my story, and some bruised ego now and then to make things somewhat interesting, and more than a half century after leaving my parents' home I realize I am still prone to taking unnecessary (as in foolish) risks, albeit not nearly so risky or foolish as a half century ago. It should be readily apparent given the sobriety of my posts, despite having taken some foolish, unnecessary risks along the way, I've not thought myself a fool.

In particular, I do not think someone is a fool just because they have been "foolish" on some occasion. I do not call anyone a fool just because they have acted foolishly on this or that occasion. No more than I think or call someone a liar because they have said something untrue (we all make mistakes).

I do not endeavor to tell anyone what they should do. I do not give personal advice. I do, however, make a concerted effort to offer information which I hope will help others make prudent decisions in navigating their own, personal path to citizenship, to make decisions for themselves.

I think it is great that a number of October applicants have had much success. I also feel bad for those who rushed and have suffered for it. I just hope that not too many of them get bogged down in extraordinary delays. Unfortunately, however, that is bound to happen, the only real question is how many will incur delays and to what extent.

By the way, the post you quote was specifically in response to a ton of noise and misinformation about the requirement to submit a police certificate. As I aptly cautioned, then, there was no reason to believe those asserting the relevant time period would be changed to three years rather than four. The applicable law had not changed. I hope my caution helped some avoid delays later in the process due a failure to timely obtain and submit a police certificate.

razerblade

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2014
This is not a joke, People rely on this forum and comments specially when comes from someone with VIP or Champion status.
That's the first mistake. The "VIP" or Champion" status is meaningless. It just goes by the number of posts, even rubbish ones.

Any advice on this forum or any other public forum on the internet, is "at your own risk".

Reactions: vasvas

thebassi35

Oct 10, 2013
Surrey BC
Category........
Visa Office......
NEW DELHI
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Received NDVO - 17/06/2016
File Transfer...
started processing 26/08/2016
Med's Done....
march 25th-2016
Interview........
DM on 07/02/2017
Passport Req..
PPR on feb 23-2017
Unbelievable! My sister’s application received on March 19,2018 and she already got her AOR today march 27

paritosh

Jan 12, 2010
Unbelievable! My sister’s application received on March 19,2018 and she already got her AOR today march 27
It is possible because no more volume left with CIC Nova Scotia. But all burden is with local case office. I sent 1 on 14 Feb and got AOR on 14 March so just 28 days..
Now we have to think Those options Early AOR and rest slow..