+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

October 11th 2017 - Citizenship Applicants under 3/5 rule

egghead

Star Member
Sep 29, 2016
RQ is "Residence Questionnaire". It is triggered when the officer is not satisfied with the Residency compliance of the applicant.

In your situation I'd then take a look at my credit card statements, month by month, later try the best in filling in the absences.
I know, it will be a painful process, but it is a one-time thing.
Once you are all done (to your best effort), just put an explanation letter, were to tell that you put the dates of absence to your best of knowledge. At least, the officer will realize that you put the effort into this long list of entries and will probably appreciate it.
I have cataloged about 25 absences of more than one day back to Oct. 2012, but my one day absences would be close to TWO HUNDRED, same for my wife, and many not at the same time. That seems unnecessarily burdensome. Again, I have lived in Canada since mid-1999 and have plenty of proof of that.

Canven84

Oct 17, 2017
RQ is "Residence Questionnaire". It is triggered when the officer is not satisfied with the Residency compliance of the applicant.

In your situation I'd then take a look at my credit card statements, month by month, later try the best in filling in the absences.
I know, it will be a painful process, but it is a one-time thing.
Once you are all done (to your best effort), just put an explanation letter, were to tell that you put the dates of absence to your best of knowledge. At least, the officer will realize that you put the effort into this long list of entries and will probably appreciate it.

That's a great idea. Using your credit cards statements to track expenses from your daily trips to US. It should be easy to brush off most of them and you can still put the explanation letter with your situation.

Canven84

Oct 17, 2017
I have cataloged about 25 absences of more than one day back to Oct. 2012, but my one day absences would be close to TWO HUNDRED, same for my wife, and many not at the same time. That seems unnecessarily burdensome. Again, I have lived in Canada since mid-1999 and have plenty of proof of that.
HI @egghead,

Even if you have lived in Canada since 1999 they will only check your eligibility period from Oct-2012 to Oct 2017.

Is better to take your time and send your application as most complete as possible. It's known that people who live close to the border can raise bigger scrutiny and with hundreds of daily trips there's a bigger chance to get RQ where you'd need to disclose a lot more information (including the same list that you could have sent with your original application).

egghead

Star Member
Sep 29, 2016
HI @egghead,

Even if you have lived in Canada since 1999 they will only check your eligibility period from Oct-2012 to Oct 2017.

Is better to take your time and send your application as most complete as possible. It's known that people who live close to the border can raise bigger scrutiny and with hundreds of daily trips there's a bigger chance to get RQ where you'd need to disclose a lot more information (including the same list that you could have sent with your original application).
I understand that it only includes the five year period, but an intelligent officer would realize that if someone lives somewhere for 18 1/2 years, he lives there. As I said, fourteen years at my current address. My concern is that if I try and document two hundred crossing and miss 30-40 (sometimes I just went to my P.O. Box or to visit my son or granddaughter - there is no credit card statement), doesn't it look worse than just saying I went A LOT of times. Doesn't Canada have the record that they can check?

Canven84

Oct 17, 2017
I understand that it only includes the five year period, but an intelligent officer would realize that if someone lives somewhere for 18 1/2 years, he lives there. As I said, fourteen years at my current address. My concern is that if I try and document two hundred crossing and miss 30-40 (sometimes I just went to my P.O. Box or to visit my son or granddaughter - there is no credit card statement), doesn't it look worse than just saying I went A LOT of times. Doesn't Canada have the record that they can check?
They won't know that you're living there for 18+ years. There's nowhere on the application where that's disclosed. They only ask for the 5 years eligibility period. I wouldn't trust too much on the intelligence of the officer as there have been cases when they return applications for immaterial mistakes.

Think about the officer when he/she checks your application. You have 1500+ days and disclosed 25 absences of more than 1 day. Then they pull their records and find that you have 200+ undisclosed US entries. What would you do in their case?

Now on another scenario you apply with 1500+ days and disclose your 25 absences, plus you make your best effort to detail your daily entries, let's say you manage to get 150/200, so when they check their records they find other 50 undisclosed but you alerted them on the explanation letter that you did your effort to detail as much as possible. What would you do in their case?

paritosh

Jan 12, 2010
They have it and when we signed forms we have authorised them to collect data of all entry and exit from CBSA
But I dont understand why you made it too much hard for you restrict visits before as we already know that we will need to prove it.

egghead

Star Member
Sep 29, 2016
They have it and when we signed forms we have authorised them to collect data of all entry and exit from CBSA
But I dont understand why you made it too much hard for you restrict visits before as we already know that we will need to prove it.
Too hard? Gas at .67 a liter, eggs at .99 cents, milk 2 for $5, free amazon prime shipping, beef, chicken, and pork at 1/3 what I pay in QC. Two sons and a granddaughter 45 minutes away? Would you stay away?

Canven - my original post asked about sending a letter DISCLOSING the trips, but mentioning that cataloging them would be burdensome. I am not hiding them, the opposite in fact. Also, my immigration record doesn't stop at five years. I am sure that the officer would have access to my entire history even if it isn't directly applicable to my application.

jeuniii

Star Member
Oct 4, 2017
ID: jeuniii
App type: Single
App Sent: Oct 11, 2017
App Delivered: Oct 17, 2017
Physical Presence: 1201 days
Courier/Signatory Name: Canada Post / Signed By : M

anchoo2kewl

Feb 13, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC_Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-02-2014
Doc's Request.
30-09-2014
AOR Received.
21-02-2014
Med's Request
30-09-2014
Med's Done....
10-10-2014
Passport Req..
28-10-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-11-2014
LANDED..........
23-11-2014
Please add me as well:

ID: anchoo2kewl
App. Type: Single
Physical Presence Days: 1382.5
App sent: Oct 12, 2017
App received: Oct 16, 2017
After 3/5 rule

Canven84

Oct 17, 2017
Too hard? Gas at .67 a liter, eggs at .99 cents, milk 2 for $5, free amazon prime shipping, beef, chicken, and pork at 1/3 what I pay in QC. Two sons and a granddaughter 45 minutes away? Would you stay away?

Canven - my original post asked about sending a letter DISCLOSING the trips, but mentioning that cataloging them would be burdensome. I am not hiding them, the opposite in fact. Also, my immigration record doesn't stop at five years. I am sure that the officer would have access to my entire history even if it isn't directly applicable to my application.
If by DISCLOSING the trips you mean saying that you made A LOT of trips then my bad.

I know that cataloging would be burdensome, but then it would be burdensome to the officer to check what other information you might have failed to disclose for being burdensome.

I make emphasis on the 5 years eligibility period because even if you have lived here for 18 years but for some reason on the last 5 years you haven't been in Canada for 1095 days they will simply reject your application. It doesn't matter if you haven't left the country even for one day before that period.

I'm just suggesting you to be on the safe side and disclose as much information as you can. It will be a once in a life thing and I'm sure is worth it. If you think if unnecessary and that the officer will be proactive to fill the gaps that you're suppose to fill then by all means send it that way.

uncomfortable

May 11, 2017
ID: uncomfortable
App type: Single
App Sent: Oct 17, 2017
App Delivered: Oct 19, 2017
Physical Presence: 1194.5 days
Courier/Signatory Name: FedEx / Signed By : M.KRSZWDA

Feveraldo

Oct 18, 2017
Please add me

ID: feveraldo