App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
24-02-2015, PR Card Received: 02-04-2015
I just received the oath invite for August 31... I have a work trip planned for September 4, so I have a few questions:
1. Once you performed the oath do they remove your PR card? If so, then I can't travel until getting the Canadian passport, right?
2. Is there any way I can ask for a earlier date (so I have time to get the passport before my trip)?

I know one solution is to ask to change the oath ceremony to a date after my trip but after waiting all this time I'll be damn if I delay that for even a day!
1. yes, you will have to give up your PR card right before the ceremony.
2. you can go to the closest passport office right after the ceremony and apply for the Canadian passport. there is an option to get it the passport - urgent pick up. You might be lucky to get it by your trip day.

Urgent and express service submitted at a passport office
You must apply for urgent and express services in person. These services are not available at all locations. Check the service location map to find out which passport offices offer the service you need.

You need proof of travel for urgent service. You may also need this proof for express service. Additional fees apply.

Processing times for urgent and express service :

• urgent pick-up: By the end of the next business day
  • express pick-up: 2 to 9 business days
---------------------

taken that the next business day falls on the Labour day, you might need to talk to passport officers or reschedule your ceremony for the later day. There is no way to get it on an earlier date than scheduled.

As they are saying in the letter:

However, we understand that you may not be available at the date and time of this appointment. You can request a new appointment for work, health, travel, or other reasons. Request a new appointment by emailing IRCC.DNCitMISScheduling-ConvocationMISCitRN.IRCC@cic.gc.ca or sending a letter within 30 days of the appointment to:
IMMIGRATION, REFUGEES AND CITIZENSHIP CANADA
3085 GLEN ERIN DRIVE
MISSISSAUGA, ON L5L 1J3

Last edited:
Reactions: rajmalhotra7

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Etobocoke, H&C Grounds
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
24-02-2015, PR Card Received: 02-04-2015
Congrats StrongBad!

It looks like the CIC is getting back to work from their vacations - so many oath invites sent out today! :)

zombiezombie

Star Member
Apr 25, 2014
Seniors,

I will be appearing for Test on Sep 5th in Scarb Town Centre.

According to the email, I need to bring the following:
- Printed Copy of the Test Invite (This is okay)
- 2 Pieces of Personal ID (This is okay)
- PR Card (This is okay)
- Original Passports and travel docs (Current or Expired) - this is also okay
- All original docs that support your citizenship application (as listed in the doc checklist)
**The problem here is I did not make a copy of the checklist when I sent my application. I checked on CIC for the checklist but it says updated May 2018 I am not sure if there were changes.

**On the new checklist now it requires the following:
A.) Fully completed, signed and dated Canadian Application (Original is with them plus I did not make a copy - so I guess this is okay.)
B.) Physical Presence Calculator (Original is with them so I guess this is okay)
C.) Photocopies of Biographical pages of the passports covering the last 5 years before the date of the application (I have this - so this is okay)
D.) Photocopy of proof of Language (I can always request for a new copy so this is okay too)
E.) Photocopy of ID (I have my PR and Drivers lincense - so I guess I am good with this too).
F. Fees (They have a record of this

I am not sure if there were other stuff in the checklist last Oct-12-2018 that is not listed now.
Please help if you still have a copy of the old checklist in past Oct-11-2018 form.

Thanks.

Reactions: salimnw

StrongBad

Jul 1, 2009
Congrats StrongBad!

It looks like the CIC is getting back to work from their vacations - so many oath invites sent out today! :)
Thanks Suin!

Forgot to mention, the oath ceremony will be in Mississauga and the test was at Scarborough office.

ROBBIOS

May 24, 2017
1. yes, you will have to give up your PR card right before the ceremony.
2. you can go to the closest passport office right after the ceremony and apply for the Canadian passport. there is an option to get it the passport - urgent pick up. You might be lucky to get it by your trip day.

Urgent and express service submitted at a passport office
You must apply for urgent and express services in person. These services are not available at all locations. Check the service location map to find out which passport offices offer the service you need.

You need proof of travel for urgent service. You may also need this proof for express service. Additional fees apply.

Processing times for urgent and express service :

• urgent pick-up: By the end of the next business day
  • express pick-up: 2 to 9 business days
---------------------

taken that the next business day falls on the Labour day, you might need to talk to passport officers or reschedule your ceremony for the later day. There is no way to get it on an earlier date than scheduled.

As they are saying in the letter:

However, we understand that you may not be available at the date and time of this appointment. You can request a new appointment for work, health, travel, or other reasons. Request a new appointment by emailing IRCC.DNCitMISScheduling-ConvocationMISCitRN.IRCC@cic.gc.ca or sending a letter within 30 days of the appointment to:
IMMIGRATION, REFUGEES AND CITIZENSHIP CANADA
3085 GLEN ERIN DRIVE
MISSISSAUGA, ON L5L 1J3
Shouldn't we wait for 2 days after the ceremony to apply for the passport? and by chance, do you know how long does it take usually to receive the passport if you don't choose the express or urgent option?

razerblade

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2014
Shouldn't we wait for 2 days after the ceremony to apply for the passport? and by chance, do you know how long does it take usually to receive the passport if you don't choose the express or urgent option?
I believe it takes roughly 2 weeks to get a passport under regular processing. It is advisable to wait at least 2 business days after the oath before applying for it. You may not be in the system sooner than that, although YMMV.

Reactions: ROBBIOS

cla

Aug 10, 2018
anyone here waiting for oath in Surrey?
i ve been in DM since aug 3... i need to plan a trip on sept 9 to 12... just afraid the moment i buy a ticket i'll receive the invitation for that exact date... not how they handle the oath after DM

yaz2017

Nov 11, 2017
Perfect start of the day. Just got an email this morning to take my oath Sep 4th 2018. Words can't describe how happy I am right now.

Just want to say thank you to all of you here and wish you nothing but the best. Special thanks for those who maintained the sheet amazing work and help to all of us.

cheers :)

amitdi

Dec 19, 2013
Mods, its time to poke you...I passed test 19/20, wife 18/20, interview was very smooth. Please update spreadsheet, thanks. I will wait to see if status changes. I've requested oath in January 2019 or beyond, after my wife comes back from vacation.

egghead

Star Member
Sep 29, 2016
Mods, its time to poke you...I passed test 19/20, wife 18/20, interview was very smooth. Please update spreadsheet, thanks. I will wait to see if status changes. I've requested oath in January 2019 or beyond, after my wife comes back from vacation.
Wow, that is some vacation.

amitdi

Dec 19, 2013
Wow, that is some vacation.
3 months for wife & son, starts in October. The interviewer already told me it will take 4 months, so before was out of scope. And also it would have created a problem for me, as I would have to apply for visa for home country. So oath after trip works out out well as our PR cards goes till mid-2019. Even in the worst case PR cards expire, it wont be much of an issue. But I am hoping everything will be wrapped up by early 2019.