+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

October 11th 2017 - Citizenship Applicants under 3/5 rule

Xubi921

Sep 8, 2016
no its still in process, anywhere else in the note i should check? during the interivew ( begining of march ) they told me everything is done just wating for bg check
knowledge: passed residence: passed language passed prohibition passed criminality passed Security blank
I am not sure if what I will write here will benefit you, but I was like in the same boat as you! I applied on October 16, the file received October 19, AOR December 1 and in process on December 14. Since then, nothing happened.

On Friday, July 13, 2018, I received the ATIP and I noticed that my file was still in the stage of assessing my citizenship requirements (Language, residency, knowledge). This turned me so pissed off that I wrote a letter and asked as a taxpayer who always fulfilled my duties towards Canada to have the officers assessing my files to be replaced. I submitted this letter and attached a copy of ATIP through case-specific inquiry online. The very next Tuesday, I received my test invite.

May be you can try this approach!!!

Good luck to all,

Last edited:

Hoom1979

Oct 23, 2017
Hi All,
Today, I found that my credit card was charged by "CITIZEN&IMM-EAPPS ENLI OTTAWA ON" to the amount of 340$, while I was paid1260$ at the beginning of the process with my wife' credit card. Is this normal?

Last edited:

robreeves

Jun 24, 2014
I am not sure if what I will write here will benefit you, but I was like in the same boat as you! I applied on October 16, the file received October 19, AOR December 1 and in process on December 14. Since then, nothing happened.

On Friday, July 13, 2018, I received the ATIP and I noticed that my file was still in the stage of assessing my citizenship requirements (Language, residency, knowledge). This tuned me so pissed off that I wrote a letter and asked as a taxpayer who always fulfilled my duties towards Canada to have the officers assessing my files to be replaced. I submitted this letter and attached a copy of ATIP through case-specific inquiry online. The very next Tuesday, I received my test invite.

Good luck to all,
In regards to what you have said and the dates that you have stated, i too had my file accepted by the IRCC on 16th October 2017 and passed my test in 6th April 2018 but have not yet had a decision made. The only question that i have is that on the case specific inquiry online page, it states "We will not respond to your inquiry if the application is within normal processing times". If the current processing time is 12 months, then i think it is just coincidence that you had your test invite a week later.

Jun 1, 2018

On Friday, July 13, 2018, I received the ATIP and I noticed that my file was still in the stage of assessing my citizenship requirements (Language, residency, knowledge). This tuned me so pissed off that I wrote a letter and asked as a taxpayer who always fulfilled my duties towards Canada to have the officers assessing my files to be replaced. I submitted this letter and attached a copy of ATIP through case-specific inquiry online. The very next Tuesday, I received my test invite.

Good luck to all,
Kudos my friend. You are the man! You have all my respect for voicing up against injustice. All October applicants I know representing top 2 or 3 immigrant groups in Canada have already done their oath. Many of them are even fake welfare boums. But look at us who represent smaller immigrant groups. We are paying 10s of thousands of dollars in taxes every year but are not treated equally. It's making me feel we are modern day slaves. Page 16 of Discover Canada says in 1833 slavery was abolished through out the empire. Paying taxes and 100s of hours of volunteer work but not being treated equally is a form of modern day slavery.

Last edited:
Reactions: Xubi921

deb_us

Oct 12, 2017
Hello Admin,

We have completed the oath procedure yesterday and this morning the ecas changed to 'complete'.

Please update my information in the current spread sheet.

Spread Sheet Row # 490 at current xls

ID: deb_us
App. Type: Family (2)
Physical Presence Days: 1625.5
App Sent: Oct 12, 2017
App Delivered: Oct 16, 2017
AOR Received: Nov 16, 2017
In Process: Dec 11, 2017
Test Invite : Jan 31, 2018
Test Date: Feb 21, 2018
Oath Invite Receiving Date: Jun 26, 2018
Oath Invite Date : Jul 18, 2018
CIC Past Status : Decision Made ( changed as of Feb 22), 2018
CIC Current Status : Complete -------changed as of July 19, 2018

Does this 'complete' status means we can apply for the passport anytime now or we have to wait for another 2 days ?

Thanks in appreciation.
Hello experts........can anyone help me with the answer to the question below: Does this 'complete' status means we can apply for the passport anytime now or we have to wait for another 2 days ?

winpro

Star Member
Dec 1, 2017
My gcms has an entry in correspondences section 'ICES report'. I didn't get this.

What is this ? Any idea?
ICES AKA INTEGRATED CUSTOMS ENFORCEMENT SYSTEM. Just a detailed information of your trips in and out of Canada. Or whatever information they have on your enteries. No Big Deal!

SunnyWays

Star Member
Dec 28, 2017
my application File STATUS was always ON HOLD for 5 months whenever I applied for ATIP note, but the last ATIP note I received this month says file status OPEN, COMPLETED and OK to proceed with Citizenship application, does this mean i have to wait one year until my application is processed?
o_O:rolleyes::eek::confused::mad::(

CAUTION: The suspending of an application under section 13.1 in the Citizenship Act is almost always SERIOUS.

It warrants at the least visiting the website linked by @wvo2017:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/canadian-citizenship/admininistration/general-file-processing/procedure-suspending-applications.html

For Section 13.1 in the Citizenship Act see http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/C-29/page-5.html#h-7

The suspending of the application almost certainly means there is an INVESTIGATION in progress. And not a mere review of the particular eligibility requirements.

Applications can be suspended for YEARS. And, indeed, it appears that suspended applications quite often do encounter very long delays, many of them for YEARS.

And NO, this is not about failing to disclose a single day-trip to the U.S. It could be about misrepresentation related to travel history disclosures, but that would not be triggered by an isolated omission even if the omission was for an absence of many days.

I suspect you may deny knowing what this is about BUT that in fact you probably do have a very good idea what it is about. Or, if you think about it, you will have a good idea. Depending on what that is, you might want to seriously consider seeing a lawyer.

As you noted in your account of the test event, you were quite likely flagged before the test and interview.

Additional observations:

The decision to suspend an application is made by a Citizenship Officer, not just any processing agent.

There are all sorts of issues or problems which IRCC can and will make further inquiries regarding, even initiate some level of investigation, which HOWEVER will NOT trigger the suspending of the application.

For Example:
-- IRCC's discovery of a significant discrepancy in the applicant's travel history, for example, will typically lead to IRCC digging deeper and also making additional requests of the applicant, but even if the discrepancy suggests deliberate misrepresentation this does not typically result in suspending the application.
-- IRCC suspects the applicant may be prohibited for a criminal charge in Canada, for another example, and makes a referral to the RCMP.
Neither of these are likely to result in suspending the application. But they are of course serious matters.

Issues leading to the suspending of the application tend to be significantly more serious.

I cannot guess what the problem is in a particular case, but we know the more common reasons why applications are suspended:
-- pending inquiry/investigation of PR-refugee for potential cessation of protected person status (clearly NOT applicable here)
-- pending investigation of fraud (not mere misrepresentation in the Citizenship Application, so more likely for misrepresentations possibly made earlier in the immigrant's history, in the original PR application perhaps, or in a PoE examination at some time)
-- pending CSIS investigation for security concerns
-- pending RCMP investigation for criminality concerns (such as alleged involvement in a criminal organization, which could make a PR inadmissible even if NO criminal charges are made against the PR)

(In the not-so-distant past, IRCC also suspended applications pending inquiry/investigation/proceedings related to alleged breach of PR Residency Obligation. This has been less common in recent years; was more common when applications were often taking two or more years, and the applicant was living abroad in the meantime, living abroad long enough to potentially encounter PR RO compliance issues.)

Again, all these tend to be serious. All these can cause a very LONG DELAY (that said, some are likely to get resolved sooner than others, like the RCMP investigation is likely to get resolved a lot faster than a CSIS overseas investigation).

If you trust there really is nothing to worry about (no misrepresentations in your past, no reason for CSIS to determine there is a security concern, no criminality issues), it is possible the reason for suspending the application will be resolved in a relatively reasonable period of time (noting that based on your several expressions of impatience for the pace of processing for routine applicants, you probably need to entertain that much longer processing times are reasonable) and your application will be processed. There are, however, significant odds there is something to worry about . . . and that to get things resolved you may very well need the assistance of a lawyer.

Final note: Fraud investigations can be triggered just because the immigrant has used or been in any way associated with a consultant (authorized or not, disclosed or not) who has been investigated for fraud. It is not clear to what extent this is continuing, but it is fairly clear that even recently the RCMP, CBSA, and IRCC are targeting, for investigation, ALMOST ALL former clients of consultants involved in fraud. This has undoubtedly swept many innocent and unsuspecting immigrants into fraud investigations.

Ottawan

Nov 11, 2011

Good luck to all,
You da man! I have the exact same timeline. I will give it a shot as well.

Reactions: Xubi921

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
my application File STATUS was always ON HOLD for 5 months whenever I applied for ATIP note, but the last ATIP note I received this month says file status OPEN, COMPLETED and OK to proceed with Citizenship application, does this mean i have to wait one year until my application is processed?
o_O:rolleyes::eek::confused::mad::(
I am not an expert and I am not qualified to offer personal advice.

Moreover, as I responded in the other posts about suspended applications, I do not know how an applicant knows the application is suspended. I am not sure how this would show up in a typical GCMS report to clients. Official cases appear to involve many applicants who did not find out their application had been formally suspended until years after a Citizenship Officer had indeed formally decided to suspend the application pursuant to Section 13.1 in the Citizenship Act.

So I do not know what "ON HOLD" means in particular, and especially so in your specific case.

I believe there can be many reasons or circumstances in which an application is, in a sense, as a matter of practice, "on hold," waiting for someone to do this or that, or waiting for this or that to happen. Applicants who are, as they say, waiting for an updated clearance, for example, can sometimes wait quite awhile. That is NOT a suspended application. But whether or not the reference to "ON HOLD" in your case is a reference to having suspended the application, I do not know.

Actually you are the one who should have a good idea. Do you have a background which could explain security concerns? are there reasons for suspecting you are a member of an organized criminal entity? are you a PR-refugee who has obtained a home country passport or traveled to the home country? have you been reported for a breach of the PR Residency Obligation or are you the subject of an inadmissibility proceeding for serious criminality? is there a reason why you might be the subject of an investigation into immigration fraud? If you can confidently, soundly answer NO to all these questions, the odds are very good your application was NOT SUSPENDED pursuant to Section 13.1 in the Citizenship Act. But, rather, was on some sort of administrative hold waiting for this or that . . . to receive a response for an inter-agency inquiry perhaps, such as CBSA or CRA . . . or as previously noted, on hold waiting for an updated clearance from the RCMP or CSIS . . . way too many possibilities to enumerate even a representative sample.

IMPACT ON TIMELINE:

Assuming you applied AFTER October 10, 2017, there is NO REASON to expect progress on the application until later this year. Many of these applications are almost certainly NOT going to get through the process before early 2019. Lots and lots of impatience otherwise rampant in the forum. Floods of unrealistic expectations. As I have oft reminded: in ordinary times the ROUTINE applicant can anticipate reaching the oath in about TWO to THREE times as long as it takes the faster applications. Unfortunately many see the faster timelines and expect theirs should be on that track. Could be. If your application is good to go, next step could happen real soon, and the oath not much later. BUT for many more, it will be TWICE as long or THREE times as long.

But then these are not ordinary times. There was a huge surge of applications in October, November, and December. The surge may have continued, probably to a lesser degree, into this year. On top of that IRCC is a big bureaucracy and bureaucracies are not nimble in adopting and adapting to changes, and the reason for the late 2017 surge in application was major changes in the requirements. The fact that scores of applicants who filed since October 11, 2017 are likely to encounter not just the 12 month timeline for processing applications prior to the surge, but probably some additional time, SHOULD BE PATENTLY OBVIOUS. But posting in this forum suggests scores are oblivious to reality and riding hard fantastical expectations.

Which again is not to say you will have to wait long. I do not know. Forecasting the timeline for individual applicants is a fool's game. Things could happen real soon. Or not until significantly later in the year. A five year old's guess is as good as anyone's here.

Observations regarding GCMS notes:

Generally most ATIP generated copies of a GCMS report for clients are useless. Easily misunderstood. Rife with default codes or blank fields. Key information redacted. And even when there is actual information not otherwise deducible, that information is typically of little or no actual use. Even if it is somewhat interesting, there is rarely any action for an applicant to take based on the information.

Remember, in addition to knowing all the information submitted in the application, the applicant knows ALL the relevant facts, and with even a relatively cursory familiarity with the process should be able to predict the risk of problems and otherwise deduce where the application is at in the process at any given time . . . which, once the application is "IP," but not yet scheduled for the test, the application is almost always simply in a queue in the local office waiting for the assigned processing agent to take the next action, which is to review the application in preparation for and scheduling of the test and program integrity interview. After the test and interview, if the oath is not scheduled right away and eCas does not soon show Decision Made, there is NO great mystery: with exceptions (largely predictable exceptions) the application is again in a queue, probably waiting for the Citizenship Officer to review the application in conjunction with reviewing the processing agent's or interviewer's notes and observations, with perhaps some additional inquiry or two. For the vast majority of qualified applicants who have no reason to think they screwed up the application, there is NOTHING to worry about. For many this goes fast. For many more, not so fast. Nothing much (other than qualifying for urgent processing) an applicant can do to speed things up.

Generally NO ATIP necessary. Just patience.

Take your situation. So you learned in response to the ATIP your application was on hold. So what? Then you learned now its not, all is well to move on. Again, so what? Either way you are still waiting, and having just applied within the last nine or ten so months, and given the surge likely slowing things down, you may have to wait several more months . . . or things could happen real soon.

All ROUTINE qualified applicants really need to know is (1) when the application has AOR (this actually is not necessary, but almost everyone wants reassurance the application is on file and will be processed), (2) if it is necessary to provide any additional information or documents (so proper contact information is critical), (3) notice for when the test and interview are scheduled, and (4) notice for when and where to take the oath.

That is it. Really. Sure, those with non-routine applications have a wrinkle or so to wrangle with. But the vast majority can send in the application, watch for notices and respond accordingly, prepare for and show up for the test and interview, and then watch for notice of the oath and show up, raise your right hand, give allegiance to the Queen, and duly celebrate.

Or, if one prefers, hover over the computer daily checking eCas, spend hours on hold waiting to talk to call centre representatives, fret over how long it is taking for eCas to show IP, fret over whether the file actually is in the local office or not, fret over which local office is processing the application, work your ulcers hard agonizing over no notice for the test when someone else is already taking the test and they applied later, shoot of some ATIP requests, work the ulcers over some more trying to interpret the GCMS notes (which mostly simply state: yep, your application is in process).

Hopefully you will see the next step happen real soon. If not, odds are good all is well anyway and you will get notice of the next step in due course. Not to worry.

Reactions: iwodamiorie

Bhaijaann

Jun 8, 2018
In regards to what you have said and the dates that you have stated, i too had my file accepted by the IRCC on 16th October 2017 and passed my test in 6th April 2018 but have not yet had a decision made. The only question that i have is that on the case specific inquiry online page, it states "We will not respond to your inquiry if the application is within normal processing times". If the current processing time is 12 months, then i think it is just coincidence that you had your test invite a week later.
They are issuing oath for oct applicants mostly 16 aug

jameswood2

Star Member
Jul 11, 2018
Assuming Security is indeed complete, then I'm not sure if there is much else to check in the notes. Does it say anything like "oath ready" ?
do you guys think that I should call and follow up or there is no point just wait???, I already another note(should come around aug 14)

for people looking at this post:
still waiting for DM since March 6 >> they told me waiting for bg check
APIT notes shows eveything is passed but security is blank