October 11th 2017 - Citizenship Applicants under 3/5 rule

pepe84

Champion Member
Jan 2, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dear Spyfy,

I am sorry I disagree with you about whether exits from Canada are recorded or not.

Just to inform you that all exists via air/water are collected by CBSA from the airline after the flight/ship departed.

In addition, land crossings to the USA are forwarded by the US Immigration offices to IRCC. Need reference? Please follow this link: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/btb-pdf/ebsiip-asfipi-eng.html

I would like to advise everyone to NEVER lie on the physical presence calculator about exits from Canada. All your exit/entry information is well recorded.

It makes perfect sense. Often the day you leave Canada is not recorded. Either because you left via air or because that day the US border officer didn't feel like scanning your document. So IRCC might see only this in your CBSA record:

- Entered Canada on 2016-10-06
- Entered Canada on 2017-09-23

Without any entries in between. So how could IRCC tell if you were out of Canada just for the day on 2017-09-23 or if you actually were out of Canada from 2017-04-20 until 2017-09-23? That is exactly why you need to declare that day trip to the states on 2017-09-23. Because that way they can make sense of entry dates.

IRCC doesn't invent forms and rules to harass you. They ask for that info for a specific reason. As much as I understand that the long processing times are frustrating, it is kind of annoying that people here who are neither lawyers nor IRCC employees seem to know better what IRCC should ask for and what they shouldn't ask for.

Reactions: technic

initial

Feb 14, 2013
Visa Office......
Montreal
Question:
Did anyone who sent application with form CIC002 08-2017 under new rule 3/5 got AOR? I have been told that they will accept older form under new rule.

Thx

Apps received after October 11 with the old form are being accepted and are being assessed under the new requirements.

Thats the official reply. So no worries. :)

Reactions: victoras88

technic

Oct 5, 2017
Does country of Nationality works in the speed of application being processed?

May be an application from India or Iran takes longer than an application of Germany or British national?

Any thoughts?

Marooned2

Star Member
May 18, 2017

May be an application from India or Iran takes longer than an application of Germany or British national?

Any thoughts?
I think USA has different queues for different countries for greed card, so if there are many people applying from a specific country the wait time will be longer for them, not sure about Canada.

Johnboy

Star Member
Jul 5, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-06-2013
VISA ISSUED...
18-07-2014

Any thoughts?
I can categorically say NO given my experience with IRCC

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
I think USA has different queues for different countries for greed card, so if there are many people applying from a specific country the wait time will be longer for them, not sure about Canada.
The different queues for US green card is because of the quota for each country, and it doesn't apply to citizenship application - Canada doesn't have that for PR and citizenship

victoras88

Oct 25, 2017
Apps received after October 11 with the old form are being accepted and are being assessed under the new requirements.

Thats the official reply. So no worries. :)

Well, I got 2 "official" answers after calling CIC:
- first woman I called told me that they will return my application and I will have to mail new one with updated forms
- second time I called they told me that they will accept older form.
That is why I am concerned and would like to know if anyone got AOR after submitting older form CIC0002 08-2017 under new rule 3/5, just to be sure second woman gave me correct information.

hfinkel

Feb 23, 2012
LANDED..........
20-07-2014
As an American, I cannot request an I-94 travel record to the U.S. - doesn't exist.
I am in the same situation as you. I counted over 200 crossings into US plus lost a little over 6 months outside North America on business trips. They want it documented. All of it.

To get all of this down on paper, I started with a spreadsheet. I obtained a copy of all of my entries into the US from the US Customs and Border Protection under a Freedom of Information Act request earlier this year. You can do this electronically. I received mine about three weeks after I requested it.

At the same time, I requested a corresponding copy of my Canadian border entries from CBSA.

Then, I dumped both reports into a spreadsheet and blended them together to correlate exactly when I had been present in the US.
The absences outside of North America were easy as I had a copy of all airlines itineraries in my hotmail account so I added those to the spreadsheet.

And to make it even more necessary, I spent six months this year commuting daily into the US on a temporary work contract.
Because I returned home each night back to Canada, each of these days of work did not count as an absence from Canada.
So it seemed important to enter these absences into the calculator separately so as to demonstrate that these days do not count as absences from Canada.

Because the Physical Presence Calculator was so overloaded on October 11th, it took most of a full day to enter all of these exits/entries into the calculator and to finally get a report out of it.

I presume I didn't expend any excess effort into this as it is precisely what IRCC expects.
As I understand it, all of this is necessary to establish number of days presence in Canada.

hfinkel

Feb 23, 2012
LANDED..........
20-07-2014
Passport is 1 , PR is 2nd and Ontario DL is 3rd ......you are good
I was wondering the same thing. I think I may have omitted my DL. I included PR, Passport, US passport card (has picture, date of birth, full name), NEXUS card (also has pic, DOB, full name). Sound OK?

sho78

Sep 25, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
8-7-2011 (recieved by CIO), CC charged on 16-Aug
Doc's Request.
Sent with the application
AOR Received.
PER received 29th Sept
IELTS Request
Sent with the application
Med's Request
07-03-2012
Med's Done....
12-03-2012, Recd by VO on 16-03-2012, Medical received line added 24-04-12
Passport Req..
14-May-2012
VISA ISSUED...
17-06-2012
Thanks,
cause I think i’ve heard that someone’s app was returned because he did not incldue two pieces of id.
Even if they need two pieces of id, you have included two pices of id, (PR and drivers license) passport is also counted as id so 3, whats your confusion

badar14

Champion Member
May 5, 2012
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
02-05-2010
LANDED..........
06-Aug-2013
I was wondering the same thing. I think I may have omitted my DL. I included PR, Passport, US passport card (has picture, date of birth, full name), NEXUS card (also has pic, DOB, full name). Sound OK?
Sounds perfect. I think these are only available ids person can have normally.

egghead

Star Member
Sep 29, 2016
I am in the same situation as you. I counted over 200 crossings into US plus lost a little over 6 months outside North America on business trips. They want it documented. All of it.

To get all of this down on paper, I started with a spreadsheet. I obtained a copy of all of my entries into the US from the US Customs and Border Protection under a Freedom of Information Act request earlier this year. You can do this electronically. I received mine about three weeks after I requested it.

At the same time, I requested a corresponding copy of my Canadian border entries from CBSA.

Then, I dumped both reports into a spreadsheet and blended them together to correlate exactly when I had been present in the US.
The absences outside of North America were easy as I had a copy of all airlines itineraries in my hotmail account so I added those to the spreadsheet.

And to make it even more necessary, I spent six months this year commuting daily into the US on a temporary work contract.
Because I returned home each night back to Canada, each of these days of work did not count as an absence from Canada.
So it seemed important to enter these absences into the calculator separately so as to demonstrate that these days do not count as absences from Canada.

Because the Physical Presence Calculator was so overloaded on October 11th, it took most of a full day to enter all of these exits/entries into the calculator and to finally get a report out of it.

I presume I didn't expend any excess effort into this as it is precisely what IRCC expects.
As I understand it, all of this is necessary to establish number of days presence in Canada.

Are you American? I am, therefore there is no I-94 report for me. Also, my trips weren't daily on a fixed schedule and I am also filling out my wife's application who has more days and many not the same. Yours is 180 easily determined days, mine isn't. Also, if the one day trips don't count as absences, then they won't lower me on the "days present" calculator. I have 1500 days since Oct. 2012. I have actually lived in Canada since 1999 - 6500+ days so if they can't grasp that I LIVE HERE maybe I shouldn't live here.

CANADIANZ

Mar 30, 2017
Are you American? I am, therefore there is no I-94 report for me. Also, my trips weren't daily on a fixed schedule and I am filling out my wife's application who has more days and many not the same. Yours is 180 easily determined days, mine isn't. Also, if the one day trips don't count as absences, then they won't lower me on the "days present" calculator. I have 1500 days since Oct. 2012. I have actually lived in Canada since 1999 - 6500+ days so if they can't grasp that I LIVE HERE maybe I shouldn't live here.
Well said, good luck!

AFLO

Apr 23, 2014
Even if they need two pieces of id, you have included two pices of id, (PR and drivers license) passport is also counted as id so 3, whats your confusion
ID only counts if it was not requested in the APP. Apssport and PR card is requested in the APP hence you cannot re-present it as ID. hope that helps

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Dear Spyfy,

I am sorry I disagree with you about whether exits from Canada are recorded or not.

Just to inform you that all exists via air/water are collected by CBSA from the airline after the flight/ship departed.

In addition, land crossings to the USA are forwarded by the US Immigration offices to IRCC. Need reference? Please follow this link: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/btb-pdf/ebsiip-asfipi-eng.html

I would like to advise everyone to NEVER lie on the physical presence calculator about exits from Canada. All your exit/entry information is well recorded.
With all due respect, but your own link disproves your claim:

CBSA (Canada) and CBP (US) collect data at the land border of non-US/CA citizens to be able to track exits.

It is however incorrect that Canada collects exit data of air and sea travel. In fact the very link you share says that the government doesn't do this yet but intends to do it.

Also, I ordered my CBSA record not too long ago and it does not contain my departures by plane. Only my departures when crossing the land border to the US.

The United States collect data on flights leaving US aiports. But Canada does not collect data on flights leaving Canada.

Furthermore, the person I was referring to is a US citizen. And, again by the very link you share, for Canadian an American citizens, not even exit data is exchanged between the two countries. So whenever a US citizen crosses the border to the United States, Canada has no way of knowing that he in fact left Canada, because the US does not forward the data to Canada.

Again, please read the link you shared. It says exactly that:
  • Currently, air departures from Canada are not tracked but they want to implement it
  • Currently, entries by land are not forwarded to the other country if a Canadian or US citizen is affected. But they want to implement that in the future.
Also, of course you should not lie in your application. But no one was talking about lying in their application. In fact, the person I was referring to shared the comprehensive explanation that he will attach to his application.