+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

ajtoronto

Star Member
Sep 23, 2016
Toronto
For surrender, I took all my originals as checklist mentioned but they only looked at one original which as the Indian passport. This was BLS Brampton.
Aah got it.
I wanted to know about the OCI. I travel a lot for work and would prefer not to send my Canadian passport along with the postal service so thinking of going for a walkin in case they just check the original and then give it back to me.

Reactions: 116sg17

sk6492

Star Member
Sep 20, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-01-2017
AOR Received.
18-01-2017
Med's Done....
21-02-2017
Hello, I applied for my OCI today through walk-in.
It was very smooth process. (very different from my experience while applying surrender certificate).
@ajtoronto No originals were asked to submit.

However, The agent told me that that pickup would take more time than Purolator shipment.
Is that just a tactic for them to sell their service, or is there really a delay when we choose to pickup?

Also, where do we check for "CGI acknowledgement"
would it be on BLS tracker at https://www.blsindia-canada.com/toronto-jurisdiction/track-application.php
or OCI Status Enquiry at https://ociservices.gov.in/welcome
or some other portal?

Thanks

Reactions: ajtoronto

UKCanadian79

Feb 5, 2022
Hello, I applied for my OCI today through walk-in.
It was very smooth process. (very different from my experience while applying surrender certificate).
@ajtoronto No originals were asked to submit.

However, The agent told me that that pickup would take more time than Purolator shipment.
Is that just a tactic for them to sell their service, or is there really a delay when we choose to pickup?

Also, where do we check for "CGI acknowledgement"
would it be on BLS tracker at https://www.blsindia-canada.com/toronto-jurisdiction/track-application.php
or OCI Status Enquiry at https://ociservices.gov.in/welcome
or some other portal?

Thanks
did you take any originals with you or just provided them copies?

AKT

Star Member
Jul 12, 2017
Just curious
How many days is the status show " Passport surrender is under review at Indian Embassy /consulate" ?
you see this on BLS website or consulate website?

my status on consulate is below for last 7 days.

Passport application along with fee details have been received. The same is under processing at the Embassy/Consulate.

Reactions: dineshrehab

nskatcv

Champion Member
May 27, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Aug 11 2014
Med's Done....
Feb 16 2015
Passport Req..
Jul 03 2015
VISA ISSUED...
Jul 08 2015
LANDED..........
Jan 09 2016
I have been reading OCI website and following comments here, but couldn't gather this.

So a quick question...

Can the OCI application process be done entirely online, or one has to appear at the Consulate/BLS (for interview or showing original documents) at any stage (hence the need for appointment?)

PS: If there is a condensed thread with all the details about the OCI process practiced off late, please share.

Hot2Cold

Champion Member
Nov 16, 2014
Just curious
How many days is the status show " Passport surrender is under review at Indian Embassy /consulate" ?
I just checked my status in the Passport portal, and it has changed to: Surrender certificate is under review at Indian Embassy/Consulate.

I also have a File no. visible on the list of applications.

I submitted the applications on 26 Feb, and it changed today, so it took 12 calendar days.

Does anybody else hate having to enter the captcha on all these sites?

Hot2Cold

Champion Member
Nov 16, 2014
Question for those who resubmitted applications to BLS -

How long did it take for the tracker to get updated with the new application details?
I submitted it on a Saturday, and it was updated on the following Tuesday. This is a walk-in submission for surrender.

Reactions: royce110

Hot2Cold

Champion Member
Nov 16, 2014
I just checked my status in the Passport portal, and it has changed to: Surrender certificate is under review at Indian Embassy/Consulate.

I also have a File no. visible on the list of applications.

I submitted the applications on 26 Feb, and it changed today, so it took 12 calendar days.

Does anybody else hate having to enter the captcha on all these sites?

Surrender Application timeline so far:
DateStatus on BLSStatus on Passport PortalDays since applied
26-Feb​
N/ASurrender Certificate application form has been submitted.
01-Mar​
Processing at Consulate GeneralPassport application along with fee details have been received. The same is under processing at the Embassy/Consulate.
4​
10-Mar​
Processing at Consulate GeneralSurrender certificate is under review at Indian Embassy/Consulate.
13​

dineshrehab

Star Member
Feb 15, 2022
Surrender Application timeline so far:
DateStatus on BLSStatus on Passport PortalDays since applied
26-Feb​
N/ASurrender Certificate application form has been submitted.
01-Mar​
Processing at Consulate GeneralPassport application along with fee details have been received. The same is under processing at the Embassy/Consulate.
4​
10-Mar​
Processing at Consulate GeneralSurrender certificate is under review at Indian Embassy/Consulate.
13​
Thanks, I filed in person- Mine changed to under review next day
March 1-Submitted
March 2- Surrender certificate is under review at Indian Embassy/Consulate.
Now I just wanna know how long till I receive it?

Reactions: AKT

Rana Singh

Feb 17, 2022
I have been reading OCI website and following comments here, but couldn't gather this.

So a quick question...

Can the OCI application process be done entirely online, or one has to appear at the Consulate/BLS (for interview or showing original documents) at any stage (hence the need for appointment?)

PS: If there is a condensed thread with all the details about the OCI process practiced off late, please share.
I submit by courier no original just scanned and printed coloured copies with my signature on vacant space of every copy it called self attested copies. I tried to submit personally but security guard didn’t allow me with out appointment .Appointment was available after 2 months. If you want to get checked your application to make sure he said I can 3 to 4.30 p.m but I can’t submit application without appointment. I send my application through purolator. Took 15 days to show on bls site 5 more days to acknowledge on oci govt india site .

sk6492

Star Member
Sep 20, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-01-2017
AOR Received.
18-01-2017
Med's Done....
21-02-2017
did you take any originals with you or just provided them copies?
just provided them copies.
They only asked for indian passport original for verification.

nskatcv

Champion Member
May 27, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Aug 11 2014
Med's Done....
Feb 16 2015
Passport Req..
Jul 03 2015
VISA ISSUED...
Jul 08 2015
LANDED..........
Jan 09 2016
I submit by courier no original just scanned and printed coloured copies with my signature on vacant space of every copy it called self attested copies. I tried to submit personally but security guard didn’t allow me with out appointment .Appointment was available after 2 months. If you want to get checked your application to make sure he said I can 3 to 4.30 p.m but I can’t submit application without appointment. I send my application through purolator. Took 15 days to show on bls site 5 more days to acknowledge on oci govt india site .
Thanks for replying.

1. It means that sending it via mail is faster than seeking an appointment (due to long wait times). Then why would anyone go to the appointment route? Just for making sure the file is checked there and then, or any other special reason?

2. So it confirms that one can complete the entire process of submission up to receiving the booklet by not having to visit the Consulate/BLS at any stage. Correct?

funloving

Jun 19, 2010
Category........
PNP
Passport Req..
08-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
12-11-2013
LANDED..........
06-03-2014
Submitted my OCI and Surrender together at Surrey BLS with Walk-In. They say Surrender wiil take 2 weeks and OCI will take 5 weeks.

royce110

Nov 25, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Submitted my OCI and Surrender together at Surrey BLS with Walk-In. They say Surrender wiil take 2 weeks and OCI will take 5 weeks.
You are the lucky guys in BC. I wonder why the rules are different here, perhaps another way for BLS to make money with postal labels.

Reactions: dineshrehab

mehtab007

Star Member
Jan 22, 2012
India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello everyone!

Place of birth is written as:

Calcutta (on Canadian Passport)
& Kolkata (on OCI).

The names being different … Will it create hurdles in travelling to India?

Thanks !