Med's Request
17-Mar-2015
Med's Done....
23-Mar-2015; Meds Received: 31-Mar-2015
Passport Req..
13-05-2015
LANDED..........
20-06-2015
Thanks, I also called the help line and they mentioned they don't accept appointments for OCI and that I must submit my application by courier (pickup and drop off). Contradictory to what I saw being posted here but I suppose they can't openly advertise that you can book visa appointment to submit OCI application. He also confirmed I don't need to submit my original documents when sending by post.

EDIT: After I paid for the courier service, I realized they updated their checklist and it mentions to submit original passport. Old checklist. New checklist. So at this point, I am again confused whether I need to submit my original passport or not. This is certainly harder than it needs to be.
Dont think you need to worry as long as you self attested the copies. They dont usually require originals for postal apps. Birth Cert of minor is one exception where they require original

zagcollins

Champion Member
Sep 9, 2017
Category........
FSW
Thanks, I also called the help line and they mentioned they don't accept appointments for OCI and that I must submit my application by courier (pickup and drop off). Contradictory to what I saw being posted here but I suppose they can't openly advertise that you can book visa appointment to submit OCI application. He also confirmed I don't need to submit my original documents when sending by post.

EDIT: After I paid for the courier service, I realized they updated their checklist and it mentions to submit original passport. Old checklist. New checklist. So at this point, I am again confused whether I need to submit my original passport or not. This is certainly harder than it needs to be.
the trick I realize is exactly like getting a VFS biometric appointment in India - keep checking their website for appointments, especially OCI. In person is painful, but you can rectify your mistakes.

KanadianGuy

Star Member
Aug 10, 2017
Received the OCI for my USA born kid today. Here is the timeline.

Sent the application by courier, on Dec 29, 2021, to BLS Brampton.
It was returned for a mistake around Jan 10.
Went to BLS and submitted the file in person on Jan 19, 2022.
Today 2nd March, 2021, i received the OCI.
The last status i checked on BLS website was "Processing at Consulate General" and was surprised to see the OCI delivered today.

This is for a USA born child, who is Canadian PR and the parents are Indian citizens and Canadian PR (just in case it makes any difference).

sandhu111

Sep 25, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
1-8-2016
Doc's Request.
No
Nomination.....
No
AOR Received.
3-8-2016
IELTS Request
sent at the time of file submit
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
8-8-2016
Interview........
No
Passport Req..
14-12-2016
LANDED..........
Inland
Hello can help me out
On surrender indian passport checklist there is 4 section 1 applicant name 2 passport number 3 submission officer and 4 Date why should i write in number 3 and 4 section?

royce110

Nov 25, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello can help me out
On surrender indian passport checklist there is 4 section 1 applicant name 2 passport number 3 submission officer and 4 Date why should i write in number 3 and 4 section?
As far as I know you leave this blank, its for internal office use.

royce110

Nov 25, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
had my appointment with BLS Toronto for Surrender certificate. My experience and tip below.

Mostly smooth but please would advise to be extra cautious and vigilant as usual is the need for us to be sadly when dealing with our own people :(
When I went and submitted my documents, the clerk casually handed me over a pad and told me to write down my home address (with no indication about purpose) as if its routine requirement. It is good that I got a bit vigilant here and asked her why? To which she said that it is for delivery of surrendered passport by Purolator. On advice of previous contributors here (sincere thank you to those people and to this forum) - I remembered to insist for pickup option as their purolator fees are somehow ATROCIOUSLY HIGH!!

So I told her firmly that I want to choose pick up option so I wont be filling this form. She was being insistent and making excuses like: the system is not allowing to choose pickup... due to covid we dont have pick up option... we only give pick up option for emergency visas... blah blah.. and i sensed that she is taking me for a ride..

but i was calm but firm in my stance and politely told her that this is an OPTIONAL service. BLS absolutely cannot FORCE me to pay for this. She then went back to speak with a colleague beside to her and not sure about the conversation but she came back to her desk and just told me hand the pad back to her. No update or no conversation - i kept quiet too. after a while she pickup the payment console and keyed in 130.10 CAD. (they charge additional 0.7 CAD which is not mentioned on their website btw, (which mentions the total fees as 129.40, small amount but good to know) and handed me the receipt with tracking information.

I just asked her that how will i be informed that my passport is ready for pickup? She said I will get a phone call or email.

so my TIP to fellow members here:

You ABSOLUTELY CAN insist for pickup of surrendered passport and save some money. Their purolator fees are atrociously high and not sure if it is due to a commission being incentivised to the clerk for getting us to sign up for purolator.

--
sincerely now hoping i get done with the surrender process - and then onwards to the next big hurdle: OCI.
You are right, BLS commission in general seems to be included in the Purolator fees.
Good thing u had this conversation AFTER they checked ur documents otherwise they are fully capable of finding errors in your file and returning it back just because you didnt pay their extra fees! Yes, this happens in today’s day and age too with Indian Companies.

I had to pay $80 for pick up and drop off. I said I can send it myself and you can pay for return delivery and the agent said it costs the same!!! How is that even possible? The cost to send 1lb envelopes within the GTA does not exceed $20 one way AFAIK. The rest is being pocketed by BLS.

I can compare this tactic with some sellers on AliExpress who charge exorbitant amounts for shipping whereas the actual shipping cost is a fraction of the amount

indigonation5

Star Member
Dec 21, 2018
You are right, BLS commission in general seems to be included in the Purolator fees.
Good thing u had this conversation AFTER they checked ur documents otherwise they are fully capable of finding errors in your file and returning it back just because you didnt pay their extra fees! Yes, this happens in today’s day and age too with Indian Companies.

I had to pay $80 for pick up and drop off. I said I can send it myself and you can pay for return delivery and the agent said it costs the same!!! How is that even possible? The cost to send 1lb envelopes within the GTA does not exceed $20 one way AFAIK. The rest is being pocketed by BLS.

I can compare this tactic with some sellers on AliExpress who charge exorbitant amounts for shipping whereas the actual shipping cost is a fraction of the amount
GOSH $80!! o_Oo_O its even MORE than what my roommate paid to send a PACKAGE 2.75 lbs to Australia from here!!

we have to indeed be extra vigilant when dealing with our own people - so sad :(

please if anyone has any tips or pointers to be careful about when doing OCI application - please help to share here. thank you in advance.

sach1234

Star Member
Apr 21, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23 September, 2014(Tuesday)
Doc's Request.
Sent with Application
Nomination.....
PER received: 09 January, 2015(Friday)
AOR Received.
03 Feb, 2015(Tuesday)
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
File Transfer...
SLU: 28 April, 2015- Tuesday (Processing started on 23rd April, 2015-Thursday)
Med's Request
12 May, 2015(Tuesday)
Med's Done....
23 May, 2015(Saturday)
Interview........
TLU: 04th June, 2015(Thursday)
Passport Req..
18 June, 2015(Thursday); Passport submitted through VFS on 19 June, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
Awaited; Decision made: 20 June, 2015(Saturday)
LANDED..........
Any updates from anybody out her about the Tourist Visa for India ? I have been waiting for ages now (Still processing at High commission in Ottawa since Feb 8). I have called BLS and the High commission office numerous times with no help so far. I have also visited the High Commission office last week to try my luck but that went in vain. They didn't let me inn and said we can't do anything. The lady spoke with me over the phone and said it can take upto 200 days to get the Visa (which was pure bullshit) and then said it's a privilege that they are giving/offering Visa services to us. Then somebody else came on the phone and said this can take a minimum of 30 days for processing. This is beyond my expectations, the whole concept is shit. This is like dealing with a government office in India.

aaroniclee

Dec 6, 2014
Any updates from anybody out her about the Tourist Visa for India ? I have been waiting for ages now (Still processing at High commission in Ottawa since Feb 8). I have called BLS and the High commission office numerous times with no help so far. I have also visited the High Commission office last week to try my luck but that went in vain. They didn't let me inn and said we can't do anything. The lady spoke with me over the phone and said it can take upto 200 days to get the Visa (which was pure bullshit) and then said it's a privilege that they are giving/offering Visa services to us. Then somebody else came on the phone and said this can take a minimum of 30 days for processing. This is beyond my expectations, the whole concept is shit. This is like dealing with a government office in India.
Still in the same boat - it's been 14 days for me so far with no response. Same 'Processing at Consulate General'. 200 days seems insane? I have other travel plans later this year and the embassy can't hold my Canadian Passport hostage for that long. Website says 30 days minimum for processing.

sach1234

Star Member
Apr 21, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
Sent with Application
Nomination.....
AOR Received.
03 Feb, 2015(Tuesday)
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
File Transfer...
Med's Request
12 May, 2015(Tuesday)
Med's Done....
23 May, 2015(Saturday)
Interview........
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
I guess that's one of the reasons It is called India in Canada :)
But the last advisory I saw also suggests that tourist visa processing time is at least 30 days. Entry visa was the way to go if you needed a visa earlier. See here:

https://www.cgitoronto.gov.in/alert_detail/?alertid=173
Yeah, that's because they made changes to their timelines after we had submitted our Visas. This was the same issue with BLS (wrong timelines) and when I complained with the screenshots of their wrong timelines, when compared to the High Commission timelines, they end up changing/ updating on their website.

Reactions: 116sg17

sach1234

Star Member
Apr 21, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
Sent with Application
Nomination.....
AOR Received.
03 Feb, 2015(Tuesday)
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
File Transfer...
Med's Request
12 May, 2015(Tuesday)
Med's Done....
23 May, 2015(Saturday)
Interview........
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Still in the same boat - it's been 14 days for me so far with no response. Same 'Processing at Consulate General'. 200 days seems insane? I have other travel plans later this year and the embassy can't hold my Canadian Passport hostage for that long. Website says 30 days minimum for processing.
We had filed Tourist Visa for 4 of our family members and now one of the member decided not to go ahead with the India plan so she went to the High Commission in Ottawa this morning. As always, they didn't let her in and there were a few more people outside trying to get an update on their applications. After waiting for a while outside, she was given the permission to come inside and she was given the passport back without the visa.

mudassirm

Star Member
Oct 18, 2017
Hey guys, looking for some help here.

So I got my oath certificate recently: I am planning to apply for Canada passport and surrender indian passport at the same time. So for passport purposes I have to submit the original oath certificate with my application. So I have few question with surrender indian application.

1) What original documents I need to include? Indian passport or Oath certificate or the record of landing. Or just copy is enough for all of them.
2) Do I need to include the Demmed Surrender application form as well, because I feel it is for the people who lost their indian passpot.

Please help. I will be mailing the application

vvarma

Jul 18, 2015
GOSH $80!! o_Oo_O its even MORE than what my roommate paid to send a PACKAGE 2.75 lbs to Australia from here!!

we have to indeed be extra vigilant when dealing with our own people - so sad :(

please if anyone has any tips or pointers to be careful about when doing OCI application - please help to share here. thank you in advance.
Vancouver is even more brutal - they change the courier rates every time you call them. I was quoted $140 for OCI + Surrender. When I asked that can I send them the package using Canada Post next day delivery, they said that only Purolator packages are opened by them the next day. Canada Post will go in their general mail box and they only open it after a week!!! Wow!