+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

dakugandhi

Star Member
Dec 11, 2019
Let us know how it goes & if you see any walk-ins tomorrow? Are you applying for OCI/Surrender?
I applied for my OCI last Friday at Brampton BLS. They only accept appointments and strictly no walk-ins...they open up slots everyday between 8.20 to 9 am for the same day appointment so don't go there as walk in. I waited since 5.30 am and they asked me to follow the same I've mentioned here and it's actually a good thing for us. They stopped taking surrender and OCI together. I had to go twice, once for surrender on Nov 26 and for OCI on December 17. Hope it helps!

lifein360

Jan 23, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Jan 17, 2017
Med's Done....
Feb 20, 2017
Passport Req..
Mar 20, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
Mar 24, 2017
LANDED..........
Apr 23, 2017
Guys...remember that the OCI and surrender rules have changed in the past 2 weeks....
You cannot submit OCI application and surrender application at the same time. You will have to wait for your surrender certificate to come in and then apply for OCI.

The weird part is that you also cannot apply for OCI for your child if minor and born in Canada until your surrender application is not completed. For eg. I lately became a Canadian and got my passport. I went to the BLS centre with my surrender application, OCI application and also my son's OCI application who is 4 months old, my wife is Indian. BLS refused to file OCI application for me AND my child as well. They said that we can only file OCI for yourself and your child when I receive my surrender acknowledgement.

So long story short; if you have taken your oath and have a new born with plans to travel to India, DO NOT apply for Canadian passport. Go to BLS with your and your spouse's Indian Passport and file for OCI for your child based on your Indian passport. Indian Passport can be used 3 months from the date of your oath btw.

Once your child's OCI is accepted, go ahead and apply for Canadian passport.
How does said Indian passport holder expect to re-enter canada once travelled to India?

shafeeq87

Star Member
Nov 25, 2015
Wow it took 1 month to reflect on OCI website!! that's so long...I applied in person on Dec 17 and it shows currently processing at CGI...but can't see that on OCI site...any idea how long does it take to reflect on OCI site if applied in person? I need to fly on January 26th so...
I applied OCI from Brampton on Dec 11. Date of acknowledgment is Dec 23. I can see it’s under process.

jackbauer

Feb 15, 2017
Category........
Other
I applied for my OCI last Friday at Brampton BLS. They only accept appointments and strictly no walk-ins...they open up slots everyday between 8.20 to 9 am for the same day appointment so don't go there as walk in. I waited since 5.30 am and they asked me to follow the same I've mentioned here and it's actually a good thing for us. They stopped taking surrender and OCI together. I had to go twice, once for surrender on Nov 26 and for OCI on December 17. Hope it helps!
Super helpful, thanks buddy. Do post your timeline once you get your OCI!
Happy holidays!!

masterofpupp

Dec 20, 2016
I just tracked my surrender application and it says 'In Transit from BLS Centre to Consulat General'. At what point do I get an AOR? I want to apply for a visa and they said I'll need my surrender receipt.

Reactions: Ryn_20

deepax

Jan 22, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-03-2016
AOR Received.
AOR1: 05-04-2016 SA:02-05-2016
File Transfer...
10-05-2016
Med's Done....
18-02-2016
Let us know how it goes & if you see any walk-ins tomorrow? Are you applying for OCI/Surrender?
Not sure about walk in but we had no problem with appointment.

It was for surrender.

thisisdna

Nov 19, 2021
Since last week, the status for my passport surrender says "Surrender certificate has been granted and is available for issuance." in CG website.
Any idea on how much longer does it take to get certificate on hand?
Hey, did your status change any further on the BLS website? For me, although on Passport Seva it says "Surrender certificate is printed", on the BLS website it still says "Processing at Cgi".

annapatram

Star Member
Nov 27, 2017
Hey, did your status change any further on the BLS website? For me, although on Passport Seva it says "Surrender certificate is printed", on the BLS website it still says "Processing at Cgi".
same here. It says "printed" no update after that in BLS or in passport seva.

Yen@5

Star Member
Aug 18, 2017
Mine shows received at Toronto. Hopefully will receive it by end of the month.
[/QUO

Hello all, our BLS status is updated as " counter delivery after OCI stamping" anyone knows how much time does it take to receive OCI after this status given upcoming holidays?

jackbauer

Feb 15, 2017
Category........
Other
Not sure about walk in but we had no problem with appointment.

It was for surrender.
How long did they say it might take for the surrender certificate & canceled passport to arrive? I have an OCI appointment for Jan 20, hoping to get canceledp/port before then

vishalv

Jul 5, 2015
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
ADVO
App. Filed.......
22-07-2016
Passport Req..
13-01-2016
VISA ISSUED...
28-02-2016
LANDED..........
12-03-2016
Hi Vishalv, May I know, after this status how long it took to receive the OCI booklet by mail?
I had applied only for OCI on Oct 5th.

Date Of Acknowledgment 14-OCT-2021

Documents Printing Status PROCESSED On 08-NOV-2021
Dispatched From MEA (OCI )NEW DELHI On 09-NOV-2021
Document received At TORONTO On 09-NOV-2021

Delivered by Purolator 12th November 2021

VSw

Jul 18, 2014
Hi All,

My wife will appear for her oath soon. We plan to go to India soon afterwards for 6+ months. I have two questions if someone could please chip in:
- Can she apply for a visa without having surrendered Indian passport?
- Say we apply for visa and surrender/OCI the same day. Say she goes to India on the visa. Afterwards when the OCI arrives, if a friend sends it to India by mail, will that be okay from Indian immigration perspective? Meaning will it be okay to arrive in India on the visa and then stay/exit on OCI?

Many thanks guys and Merry Christmas and happy holidays to all!

Cheers!

deepax

Jan 22, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-03-2016
AOR Received.
AOR1: 05-04-2016 SA:02-05-2016
File Transfer...
10-05-2016
Med's Done....
18-02-2016
How long did they say it might take for the surrender certificate & canceled passport to arrive? I have an OCI appointment for Jan 20, hoping to get canceledp/port before then
They said 4-6 weeks but I don't trust BLS with anything.

Our OCI appointment is on Feb 17. So we should be good. Only problem is that Canadian passport wasn't ready when we booked appointment so I used Indian passport number to book OCI appointment.

Hopefully, they don't make a fuss about it because other details entree during appointment booking are still correct.

VSw

Jul 18, 2014
Guys...remember that the OCI and surrender rules have changed in the past 2 weeks....
You cannot submit OCI application and surrender application at the same time. You will have to wait for your surrender certificate to come in and then apply for OCI.

The weird part is that you also cannot apply for OCI for your child if minor and born in Canada until your surrender application is not completed. For eg. I lately became a Canadian and got my passport. I went to the BLS centre with my surrender application, OCI application and also my son's OCI application who is 4 months old, my wife is Indian. BLS refused to file OCI application for me AND my child as well. They said that we can only file OCI for yourself and your child when I receive my surrender acknowledgement.

So long story short; if you have taken your oath and have a new born with plans to travel to India, DO NOT apply for Canadian passport. Go to BLS with your and your spouse's Indian Passport and file for OCI for your child based on your Indian passport. Indian Passport can be used 3 months from the date of your oath btw.

Once your child's OCI is accepted, go ahead and apply for Canadian passport.
Hi friend,

This seems to be brand new rule. Is it applicable only to Ottawa jurisdiction or entire Canada?