03/03/2017
VISA ISSUED...
March 2017
LANDED..........
July 2017

immih754680

Dec 22, 2021
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for taking time to answer questions and sharing information. Looking to get some help for my friend. She recently became a Canadian Citizen.

She is thinking about applying for OCI or Visitor Visa. She was a minor when their family came and applied for asylum and she is a adult now.

I am a British Citizen (by birth) and OCI holder. I remember when I applied for OCI, there was a question if I ever applied for asylum and my answer was no but her answer is yes.

So should she bother to apply for OCI or are there any possible consequences other than rejection?

Similar concern, I am pretty sure that she shouldn’t have a problem going for visitor visa but do you all think there can be any concerns?

Also should she apply for OCI/Visa along with surrender?

Please share your opinion, recommendations, advise and experience.

Thanks

jackbauer

Feb 15, 2017
Category........
Other
Hi guys, I am trying to get my surrender certificate.
I called the Toronto BLS office & they claimed that they are not accepting any walk-ins or even appointments for that matter. Everything has to be sent only by post. Has anyone been there in the past week via walk in at all?

Rizjin

Nov 18, 2021
Aahhh that's what i thought too! I can't find my application yet on this link...i checked mine on bls site and says processing at consulate general...how long does it take to reflect it on oci website?

What's your timeline?
I sent application to bls Brampton on 29th October and I showed up on OCI website on 1st December. Processed on 22nd December and received at Toronto 23rd December

dakugandhi

Star Member
Dec 11, 2019
I sent application to bls Brampton on 29th October and I showed up on OCI website on 1st December. Processed on 22nd December and received at Toronto 23rd December
Wow it took 1 month to reflect on OCI website!! that's so long...I applied in person on Dec 17 and it shows currently processing at CGI...but can't see that on OCI site...any idea how long does it take to reflect on OCI site if applied in person? I need to fly on January 26th so...

nhixon

Star Member
Dec 4, 2014
Guys...remember that the OCI and surrender rules have changed in the past 2 weeks....
You cannot submit OCI application and surrender application at the same time. You will have to wait for your surrender certificate to come in and then apply for OCI.

The weird part is that you also cannot apply for OCI for your child if minor and born in Canada until your surrender application is not completed. For eg. I lately became a Canadian and got my passport. I went to the BLS centre with my surrender application, OCI application and also my son's OCI application who is 4 months old, my wife is Indian. BLS refused to file OCI application for me AND my child as well. They said that we can only file OCI for yourself and your child when I receive my surrender acknowledgement.

So long story short; if you have taken your oath and have a new born with plans to travel to India, DO NOT apply for Canadian passport. Go to BLS with your and your spouse's Indian Passport and file for OCI for your child based on your Indian passport. Indian Passport can be used 3 months from the date of your oath btw.

Once your child's OCI is accepted, go ahead and apply for Canadian passport.

Abhishek901

Star Member
Jun 10, 2015
Toronto
So long story short; if you have taken your oath and have a new born with plans to travel to India, DO NOT apply for Canadian passport. Go to BLS with your and your spouse's Indian Passport and file for OCI for your child based on your Indian passport. Indian Passport can be used 3 months from the date of your oath btw.

Once your child's OCI is accepted, go ahead and apply for Canadian passport.
How do expect to come back to Canada with Indian passport? You will have to cut your PR card during your citizenship ceremony. You can't enter Canada on Indian passport after that. You need to have Canadian passport.

mpp2021

Dec 23, 2021
Hi,

Happy Holidays season. Was wondering if anyone can help.

I am trying to apply for an OCI through postal application from Toronto. It seems all walkins are now stopped. Just have a question on the documentation that needs to be submitted. Wanted to check in if I should submit originals or only photocopy of my surrender certificate, indian cancelled passport, citizenship certificate and canadian passport. When I called BLS they say I dont have to submit originals but in the site it says otherwise. In BLS checklist page it says I should submit the following for a new OCI application(Type A: Application for Fresh OCI):
(a) Checklist
(b) Online Application Form
(c) Surrender / Renunciation Certificate
(d) Indian Passport (Original and Copy)
(e) Foreign Citizenship certificate (Original and Copy)
(f) Canadian/Foreign passport* (Original and Copy)
(g) Professional Details of the applicant
(h) Proof of Address
(i) Fees
(j) Photograph

Thanks a lot.
M

Abhishek901

Star Member
Jun 10, 2015
Toronto
I received my OCI yesterday (December 22) through Purolator. I had applied walk-in at Brampton BLS on November 4. At that time they used to accept both surrender and OCI applications together.

Date of acknowledgement on OCI website - November 26
Document printed - December 17
Dispatched From MEA (OCI) - December 18
Document received at Toronto - December 18
Courier arrived at my home - December 22

jackbauer

Feb 15, 2017
Category........
Other
I received my OCI yesterday (December 22) through Purolator. I had applied walk-in at Brampton BLS on November 4. At that time they used to accept both surrender and OCI applications together.

Hey if you don’t mind me asking did you take two bank drafts while applying at brampton? If so what was the amount for BLS International services Canada?

How long after walking in did your surrender certificate arrived?

jackbauer

Feb 15, 2017
Category........
Other

Hi,

Happy Holidays season. Was wondering if anyone can help.

I am trying to apply for an OCI through postal application from Toronto. It seems all walkins are now stopped. Just have a question on the documentation that needs to be submitted. Wanted to check in if I should submit originals or only photocopy of my surrender certificate, indian cancelled passport, citizenship certificate and canadian passport. When I called BLS they say I dont have to submit originals but in the site it says otherwise. In BLS checklist page it says I should submit the following for a new OCI application(Type A: Application for Fresh OCI):
(a) Checklist
(b) Online Application Form
(c) Surrender / Renunciation Certificate
(d) Indian Passport (Original and Copy)
(e) Foreign Citizenship certificate (Original and Copy)
(f) Canadian/Foreign passport* (Original and Copy)
(g) Professional Details of the applicant
(h) Proof of Address
(i) Fees
(j) Photograph

Thanks a lot.
M
This is what they told me today that all appointments, walk ins are canceled when I called the Toronto office. Do you know what the phone number of the Brampton office is? I don’t think you need to send your original Canadian passport for OCI.

deepax

Jan 22, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-03-2016
AOR Received.
AOR1: 05-04-2016 SA:02-05-2016
File Transfer...
10-05-2016
Med's Done....
18-02-2016
Just called Toronto office and they said if I have an appointment confirmation, they'll take me in.

Really confused as couple of other people said they are not taking walk-ins and appointments.

We have appointment for tomorrow morning at 10:30.

She kept mentioning that if I have confirmation, I'll be ok. Let's see.

jackbauer

Feb 15, 2017
Category........
Other
Just called Toronto office and they said if I have an appointment confirmation, they'll take me in.

Really confused as couple of other people said they are not taking walk-ins and appointments.

Let us know how it goes & if you see any walk-ins tomorrow? Are you applying for OCI/Surrender?

dakugandhi

Star Member
Dec 11, 2019

I was at BLS Brampton last Friday. As long as you have an appointment, you're good to go!! Don't worry!