+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

dakugandhi

Star Member
Dec 11, 2019
Guys please share your valuable knowledge/ ideas. I have my oath ceremony on Jan 4th. I need to travel to India in last week of January. I am anticipating that I wont be able to get my citizenship certificate, Canadian passport, surrender Indian passport and get visa in time to travel. What are my options? Can I travel on Indian passport and get Canadian passport from India since the Indian website provides 3 months grace period to travel on Indian passport if other passport is unavailable? My trip to India is for business and wont be there for more than 45 days.
My 2 cents!

You can get the citizenship certi in 10 days approx if you're in GTA/southern ON. you can apply for next day pickup passport for additional of 150 CAD...you can go to BLS right after that and apply for surrender certi and entry visa at the same time which would take around 7 days...if you haven't booked a ticket, book it for 1st week of Feb

dakugandhi

Star Member
Dec 11, 2019
Hi @shafeeq87

Did you just provide a copy of the birth certificate, or was it attested by two authorities?

As per CGI Toronto:
If birth certificate is issued by Canadian government, it is required to be attested by Ministry of Consumer Affairs/government services (222 Jarvis Street, Toronto) and thereafter from the Consulate of India, Toronto.

But BLS checklist doesn't mention anything about attestation.
as long as you have the long birth certi, you don't have to worry about anything else, you're good!

Reactions: imm01
Feb 21, 2017
Hello,
I am new to this forum and apologies if someone has answered these questions already:
1) Is walk in option still available in Brampton BLS for OCI application? I looked to book an appointment and the earliest I see is March 2022.
2) Can we apply for the passport surrender and OCI all the same time?
I called them today and they mentioned walk in is currently not permitted. What did you go through?

dakugandhi

Star Member
Dec 11, 2019
I called them today and they mentioned walk in is currently not permitted. What did you go through?
Hey if you're looking for an appointment for BLS Brampton, they open up slots every morning at around 8.30 AM for the same day. Don't go there walk in instead you book an appointment for either Passport/Visa which is OK for an OCI as well. Don't look to book appointment for OCI. I was just there on Friday 12/17.

Dr kbknaidu

Jun 29, 2012
London,UK
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
BUFFALO
App. Filed.......
29th june 2011
Doc's Request.
17th july 2011
AOR Received.
1st sep 2011
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
May 29 2011
Med's Request
Oct 26 2013
Med's Done....
Nov 15 2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
In Process Since Jan 7th 2014
VISA ISSUED...
07-02-2014
LANDED..........
09-03-2014
Hey if you're looking for an appointment for BLS Brampton, they open up slots every morning at around 8.30 AM for the same day. Don't go there walk in instead you book an appointment for either Passport/Visa which is OK for an OCI as well. Don't look to book appointment for OCI. I was just there on Friday 12/17.
Not every time the same story, they not opening everyday

Dr kbknaidu

Jun 29, 2012
London,UK
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
BUFFALO
App. Filed.......
29th june 2011
Doc's Request.
17th july 2011
AOR Received.
1st sep 2011
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
May 29 2011
Med's Request
Oct 26 2013
Med's Done....
Nov 15 2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
In Process Since Jan 7th 2014
VISA ISSUED...
07-02-2014
LANDED..........
09-03-2014
ok let me check that, thank you

KaurAB

Dec 21, 2021
My 2 cents!

You can get the citizenship certi in 10 days approx if you're in GTA/southern ON. you can apply for next day pickup passport for additional of 150 CAD...you can go to BLS right after that and apply for surrender certi and entry visa at the same time which would take around 7 days...if you haven't booked a ticket, book it for 1st week of Feb
Thanks for your reply. I should have mentioned that I am in Edmonton. So, getting the passport is not an issue. I am aware there is express services available. It's just the surrendering Indian passport and getting visa in time to travel. I just called BLS Edmonton and they said surrendering passport takes 6-7 weeks and then getting visa is quicker. He recommended that I can send in my passport now so it gets done in time but can I do it as I haven't yet attended the ceremony.

Also, at one point the customer rep said that I don't have to surrender the passport to get 30 day entry visa initially which am doubtful of.

dakugandhi

Star Member
Dec 11, 2019
Thanks for your reply. I should have mentioned that I am in Edmonton. So, getting the passport is not an issue. I am aware there is express services available. It's just the surrendering Indian passport and getting visa in time to travel. I just called BLS Edmonton and they said surrendering passport takes 6-7 weeks and then getting visa is quicker. He recommended that I can send in my passport now so it gets done in time but can I do it as I haven't yet attended the ceremony.

Also, at one point the customer rep said that I don't have to surrender the passport to get 30 day entry visa initially which am doubtful of.
You don't have to wait for surrender certi...you just apply for it and apply for entry visa at the same time...that works here in Toronto

Without citizenship certi, they won't let you surrender your passport unfortunately

Reactions: KaurAB

KaurAB

Dec 21, 2021
You don't have to wait for surrender certi...you just apply for it and apply for entry visa at the same time...that works here in Toronto

Without citizenship certi, they won't let you surrender your passport unfortunately
The processing time for entry visa is 5-7 days. Is it possible to receive entry visa before receiving the surrender certificate? Can I fly without the later certificate?

VijayReddyTirupari

Star Member
May 11, 2013
Vancouver
Visa Office......
Nova Scotia
App. Filed.......
20/11/2016
Doc's Request.
26/11/2016
Nomination.....
20/12/2016
AOR Received.
15/03/2017
Med's Request
Upfront on 27/03/2017
Med's Done....
Medicals passed 25/05/2017
LANDED..........
InLand.
Does anyone know how we can get an appointment for BSL Surrey?
Can we do Passport Surrender & OCI at the same time?

Yen@5

Star Member
Aug 18, 2017
Hello experts,
Please advice when we can connect with BLS or CGI.
We have submitted OCI application through mail on 29th Oct. It was received on 1st Nov at BLs brampton and updated as 4th Nov. However, currently application date shows 15th Nov. So our timeline of OCI starts from 1st Nov or 15th Nov??

annapatram

Star Member
Nov 27, 2017
Hello experts,
Please advice when we can connect with BLS or CGI.
We have submitted OCI application through mail on 29th Oct. It was received on 1st Nov at BLs brampton and updated as 4th Nov. However, currently application date shows 15th Nov. So our timeline of OCI starts from 1st Nov or 15th Nov??
Starts from Nov 15th. This was the case with my application as well. After the receipt of application, BLS take 8-10 business days to forward the application to CGI.So processing time for CGI starts from that point.
In your case it is Nov 15th.

Reactions: Yen@5