+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

krunal2904

May 9, 2016
Canada
NOC Code......
I am not sure if they would retain the Canadian passport for 2-3 weeks, they might just verify and return it for walk in applicant.
Has anyone recently submitted OCI application (walk in), kindly confirm if BLS retained your Canadian passport.
No. It is clearly stated that Original Canadian Passport needs to be submitted along with OCI Application.

thisisdna

Nov 19, 2021
No. It is clearly stated that Original Canadian Passport needs to be submitted along with OCI Application.
It's quite strange that they require the original passports as well now...I also don't see the requirement to submit your own landing paper on the checklist anymore. And there is a professional details letter needed now too.

BLS earlier mentioned that the employment letter isn't mandatory to be uploaded online. So now I'm wondering what the situation will be with this "professional details" letter. I wonder this will work for students and retired individuals.

Reactions: krunal2904

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Where did you see this requirement? Could you please post a link?

Even for BLS Toronto, they only kept your original landing paper. BLS Brampton kept neither the passport or the landing paper.

thisisdna

Nov 19, 2021
Where did you see this requirement? Could you please post a link?

Even for BLS Toronto, they only kept your original landing paper. BLS Brampton kept neither the passport or the landing paper.
It's a new checklist that is posted on the BLS website in the OCI section which has these new rules of having original passports and a "professional details" letter to be submitted.

Yen@5

Star Member
Aug 18, 2017
In my case, it took them 21 days. Walk-in application submitted at BLS on Nov 5 and acknowledged on OCI website on Nov 26.
Thank you. M still waiting on update. Our application was received in 4th at BLS and under go processing at consulate on 15th. I feel this is going to take more than 6 weeks for sure to process the OCI. Kindly keep us posted if any progress on your application.
Thank you.

zeninmaking

Jul 18, 2018
Hey everyone! I am planning to travel to India with my newborn in February. I booked two appointments with BLS Toronto for my son - OCI appointment is on Jan 24 and Tourist Visa appointment is Jan 18th. I was wondering if I can mail-in the OCI application and if rejected, I can apply for the tourist visa on Jan 18th (I am assuming there is no mail-in for Tourist Visa) - is that a good plan? Will my documents be returned in time for the visa appointment (in case of OCI rejection)? I am only factoring in the rejection because of the stories I've heard about how tedious the process is.

imm01

Nov 21, 2021

imm01

Nov 21, 2021
It's quite strange that they require the original passports as well now...I also don't see the requirement to submit your own landing paper on the checklist anymore. And there is a professional details letter needed now too.

BLS earlier mentioned that the employment letter isn't mandatory to be uploaded online. So now I'm wondering what the situation will be with this "professional details" letter. I wonder this will work for students and retired individuals.
Did some research, the cgi toronto website states clearly that original passport will be returned after verification. If BLS keeps it (with the intent to extort money in the name of courier charges), it should be brought to the attention of CGI Toronto

(f) Canadian passport / Foreign Passport (Original and copy) (duly signed)

Please enclose photo page of your Canadian Passport having photographs and details of your passport. Original Passport is required to be shown at the counter for verification, it will be returned back at the counter after verification. A minimum six months or more validity on your passport is required for applying for OCI.

Last edited:

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015

lifein360

Jan 23, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Jan 17, 2017
Med's Done....
Feb 20, 2017
Passport Req..
Mar 20, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
Mar 24, 2017
LANDED..........
Apr 23, 2017
Indeed. This was a messy confusing process already but thankfully this thread helped clarify a lot for me when I applied. Hopefully if you apply in person, they do give you your original documents back. Now that they wont take OCI and Surrender together - i dont see any reason to submit original indian passport either for OCI since that will already be cancelled at that point

I reviewed the latest checklist - no mention of what docs to upload as Part A of the online OCI application. Keep in mind everyone to upload your COPR under Indian Visa.

Last edited:

ajtoronto

Star Member
Sep 23, 2016
Toronto
Newbie question:
For surrender certificate I plan to send them via post. I am unsure what the final bank draft amount needs to be. Can someone who has sent via post help me with this query?

sharadsinha

Star Member
Feb 7, 2015
Hello everyone, Any idea when does BLS dispatch the documents after changing the status to 'Ready for Dispatch', the status has been the same since yesterday morning and hasn't changed yet?
I got it on 4th day from this status. This status will not update anymore. will remain same even after you have received it.

Reactions: ajit90

annapatram

Star Member
Nov 27, 2017
Newbie question:
For surrender certificate I plan to send them via post. I am unsure what the final bank draft amount needs to be. Can someone who has sent via post help me with this query?
I think the fee varies based on Jurisdictions ,My application is from Brampton, I did a draft for CAD 129.40 per applicant in the favour of "BLS International Services Canada INC "

ajtoronto

Star Member
Sep 23, 2016
Toronto
I think the fee varies based on Jurisdictions ,My application is from Brampton, I did a draft for CAD 129.40 per applicant in the favour of "BLS International Services Canada INC "
Thank you. I am going to Brampton as well.
So the total on the draft was jsut $129.40 (for Surrender) or was it $129.40 + 352.40?