Med's Done....
Feb 20, 2017
Passport Req..
Mar 20, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
Mar 24, 2017
LANDED..........
Apr 23, 2017
omg, that's not a good news for me! it means will have to wait in line twice!!
They changed the rules recently. BLS used to accept application for OCI and surrender together, but last week they changed the rules. Surrender first, get the surrender cert and then come back again to apply for OCI. Oof, I do not envy the people having to queue up at 5 AM in the winter time

Reactions: sharadsinha

csvinayak

Star Member
Jul 9, 2010
They changed the rules recently. BLS used to accept application for OCI and surrender together, but last week they changed the rules. Surrender first, get the surrender cert and then come back again to apply for OCI. Oof, I do not envy the people having to queue up at 5 AM in the winter time
I have been dropping emails to the concerned people if no responses tag them on Twitter to bring their attention. Don't stop until they change it!!

Nov 2, 2020
I'm really struggling with new OCI application for myself (Canadian Citizen married in New York City over two years ago to Indian Citizen) and our daughter (Canadian Citizen born this summer). Do I have to have her birth certificate authenticated by my province and then authenticated by the Indian consulate nearby? Should I use notarized photocopies first/as well? Do I need all photocopies of uploaded documents notarized? For authentication of marriage certificate we had every level of US government attest it and then when we asked at the Indian consulate to attest it they insisted they never attest US documents and just to do what we did. Should I just enclose a copy of that email interaction as "proof" along with our 4 pages of attested marriage certificate? Alternatively, is there anyone who recommends a company who will organize and double check all this? We have already had a disastrous encounter at BLS in Surrey and would really just like for a smooth submission to both obtain OCI.

For Marriage Certificate:
Step1: Get apostle from New York, https://dos.ny.gov/apostille-or-certificate-authentication or do it online third private party which delivers faster, https://www.vitalchek.com/order_main.aspx?eventtype=MARRIAGE#
Step2: After receiving the apostle, it has to be attested by Consulate.
Step3: Once you recieved the attested apostle, attach with your OCI application. Please contact with BLS to know if original or copy must be attached with OCI application.

Child born in Canada:
Copy of birth certificate showing both parents name attested by both parents with a statement written on it "This is true............................"

All uploaded documents has to self attested with a statement "This is true .........." and same will be attached with the OCI application.

Hope it helps.

Reactions: lifein360

sharadsinha

Star Member
Feb 7, 2015
Thanks. I currently hold both Canadian & Indian passports. I'll be applying for surrender and visa at the same time. My question is while i'm filling the visa form, i do have Indian passport so should i say Yes to having the Indian passport or should i say no considering that i am submitting the surrender request at the same time?
this is tricky. I will advice you can BLS to get correct info.

Reactions: sakshamsane

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Thanks. I currently hold both Canadian & Indian passports. I'll be applying for surrender and visa at the same time. My question is while i'm filling the visa form, i do have Indian passport so should i say Yes to having the Indian passport or should i say no considering that i am submitting the surrender request at the same time?
By logic alone, answering "No" to that question would be the best course of action I think. The reason is because you can apply for a visa only after surrendering your Indian passport and because of that, you will NOT have a second passport.

canadabharath

Nov 11, 2021
Hi Experts,

Any idea when I can receive OCI to our home ?

Date Of Acknowledgment 26-OCT-2021
Registration Status at Mission TORONTO
OCI- Number -------
Documents Printing Status PROCESSED On 23-NOV-2021
Dispatched From MEA (OCI ) NEW DELHI On 23-NOV-2021
Document received At TORONTO On 23-NOV-2021

lifein360

Jan 23, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Jan 17, 2017
Med's Done....
Feb 20, 2017
Passport Req..
Mar 20, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
Mar 24, 2017
LANDED..........
Apr 23, 2017
Hi Experts,

OCI- Number -------
Give it a week if you're in GTA

Reactions: canadabharath

Dr kbknaidu

Jun 29, 2012
London,UK
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
BUFFALO
App. Filed.......
29th june 2011
Doc's Request.
17th july 2011
AOR Received.
1st sep 2011
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
May 29 2011
Med's Request
Oct 26 2013
Med's Done....
Nov 15 2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
In Process Since Jan 7th 2014
VISA ISSUED...
07-02-2014
LANDED..........
09-03-2014
When we have to give our passport for surrender certificate ? I mean mean after the oath or after the Canadian passport or can we give before oath to save time ?

krunal2904

May 9, 2016
Canada
NOC Code......
When we have to give our passport for surrender certificate ? I mean mean after the oath or after the Canadian passport or can we give before oath to save time ?
You cannot apply for Surrender Certificate without talking Canadian Citizenship Oath. Copy of your Canadian Citizenship Certificate is require while submitting application for Surrender Certificate. You can submit application for Surrender Certificate after Oath using Canadian Citizenship Certificate without having Canadian Passport.

krunal2904

May 9, 2016
Canada
NOC Code......
Hi Experts,

OCI- Number -------
I hope I will be able to see some update in next couple of days. Date Of Acknowledgment is showing as 29-OCT-2021 for my OCI Application. :)

Reactions: ajit90

thisisdna

Nov 19, 2021
Hey guys,

Does anyone know how I can track the status of my Passport Surrender Application on the BLS website? I don't see Passport Surrender in the drop down options on the tracking page.

I know it can be done through Passport Seva. However, I'm assuming the status will only be reflective on Passport Seva when the application is sent to the Indian High Commission. Is that the case? Or does BLS itself issue the surrender certificate and not send it to the Indian High Commission?

If so, is there a way to track what happens with the application once it reaches the BLS centre?