+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

jackbauer

Feb 15, 2017
Category........
Other
The processing times for surrender were updated to minimum 8 weeks for Toronto jurisdiction the last time I checked. So, expect it'll take at least that long for you to receive the cancelled passport.

Once you receive it, you can take both the cancelled Indian passport and the Canadian passport and complete your interview.
That's the thing - I can't. My oath is next week so let's say I manage to expedite certificate and get a Canadian passport by Dec 1st week/2nd week. If I initiate the OCI, I won't have my Indian passport with me by Jan 8th (Nexus appointment) So I need to wait until I get my Nexus interview is complete before applying for OCI

OR

I inform CBP that my Indian passport is cancelled and I don't have it and just proceed with Canadian passport.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
That's the thing - I can't. My oath is next week so let's say I manage to expedite certificate and get a Canadian passport by Dec 1st week/2nd week. If I initiate the OCI, I won't have my Indian passport with me by Jan 8th (Nexus appointment) So I need to wait until I get my Nexus interview is complete before applying for OCI

OR

I inform CBP that my Indian passport is cancelled and I don't have it and just proceed with Canadian passport.
I think the former would be better. You can show them both passports and let them know that you'll be getting your Indian passport cancelled.

jackbauer

Feb 15, 2017
Category........
Other
I think the former would be better. You can show them both passports and let them know that you'll be getting your Indian passport cancelled.
Yeah, that's what I'm leaning towards and thank you for your advice raj. I guess they usually write CWOP on visa page for some people. Did they cut the bio page and send it along with OCI for you?

Reactions: rajkamalmohanram

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Yeah, that's what I'm leaning towards and thank you for your advice raj. I guess they usually write CWOP on visa page for some people. Did they cut the bio page and send it along with OCI for you?
Hmmm not sure. I had a valid US visa on my passport.

They only placed a stamp "Cancelled on account of holder voluntarily acquiring Canadian citizenship" on the page next to the bio page. I got my Cancelled passport + Surrender certificate together. They didn't write COWP anywhere on the passport including the visa pages. Also, the passport is not cut. They punched 2 holes in the passport.

I got my OCI separately.

bp18

Sep 4, 2012
BLS NIGHTMARE is over. Such INCOMPETENT and broken process and people . Had to go in person to collect OCI.

Below is just one example of many, throughout passport surrender and OCI process.

Status was showing "Ready for collection after OCI stamping" for 4 days" and on calling BLS yesterday for status, their agents were saying, its "processing at consulate general".
I got worried and called again and they asked to check with UPS courier company who sent the return label OR take their service to send the packet. I even went on to call the courier services only to understand the negligence of BLS agents.
next call, agent asked to collect in person followed by a next agent who shared the same status "processing at consulate general" and asked me to wait for few more days.
I had to push very hard this time to make my point so they can re-check with their team lead. After 30 minutes of call, they got back and asked me to go in person.

I went in person and to my surprise, BLS center agents in Brampton also could not find the details of the return envelop. They checked for some more time and at last, sigh of relief when I saw my OCI.

--My experience is ""don't trust one BLS call center agent rather re-confirm with more agents or this forum is much much better than BLS for queries.

vishalv

Jul 5, 2015
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
ADVO
App. Filed.......
22-07-2016
Passport Req..
13-01-2016
VISA ISSUED...
28-02-2016
LANDED..........
12-03-2016
Just got my OCI. All done with the immigration journey

Timelines below:

Application Date 06-OCT-2021 ( By walk-in at BLS Brampton)
Date Of Acknowledgment 18-OCT-2021
Documents Printing Status PROCESSED On 12-NOV-2021
Dispatched From MEA (OCI ) NEW DELHI On 12-NOV-2021
Document received At TORONTO On 12-NOV-2021

Counter Delivery to BLS Centre after OCI stamping 17th November 2021
(Passport ready For Dispatch after OCI stamping) 17th November 2021
Delivered to home: 18th November, 2021
Congrats mate. I know that feeling. :)

lifein360

Jan 23, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Jan 17, 2017
Med's Done....
Feb 20, 2017
Passport Req..
Mar 20, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
Mar 24, 2017
LANDED..........
Apr 23, 2017
You can get your enrollment done in the US, that's not an issue. Both CBP and CBSA would have looked into your application before providing a conditional approval. You can take your Nexus appointment either in Canada or in the US, that shouldn't matter AFAIK.

However....

I think the Whirlpool bridge is Nexus-only. If you are traveling by car, you might have to enter the US via Rainbow bridge and then drive to Whirlpool enrollment center which is pretty close by.

Also, before you book an appointment, make sure that the Whirlpool center has Iris scanners - I am not sure if the one at Whirlpool has it. I would like to get everything done in one go. The Mississauga enrollment center (at Pearson International) has iris scanner. That's why, I'm waiting for the Canadian enrollment centers to open so that I can go there and get everything done in one go. If I plan to fly to the US next year to meet friends or family, I'll see if there are any enrollment centers with iris scanners and then book an appointment with them.

Also, you'll have to take a Covid-19 test before you return to Canada. The US doesn't require it but when you cross the border and try to get back to Canada, you'll be asked for one. AFAIK, you can get one before you leave and you can show the same test result on your way back as long as you are returning within 3 days from the date of the test.
Update. COVID tests not needed for trips shorter than 3 days if fully vaccinated starting from Nov 30

Reactions: rajkamalmohanram

lifein360

Jan 23, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Jan 17, 2017
Med's Done....
Feb 20, 2017
Passport Req..
Mar 20, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
Mar 24, 2017
LANDED..........
Apr 23, 2017

sumeetkarora

Aug 11, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-10-2013
Doc's Request.
29-04-2014
AOR Received.
20-11-2013
Med's Request
17-04-2014
Med's Done....
07-05-2014
Passport Req..
08-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
29-07-2014
LANDED..........
09-08-2014
I submitted OCI application for my minor kid at BLS Toronto today (Friday). Following is how they were operating and the information could be useful to those who plan to visit.
- I arrived there at 11:30am (for 11:40am appointment) and was allowed to go in (after showing proof of vaccination and ID) right away and asked to wait in a dedicated queue. I had booked the appointment around 40 days ago (and this was the first available time slot).
- There were around 20 people waiting outside (walk-in). The security guard mentioned that people begin to queue up as early as 6am
- Inside there were two queues, one (the priority line) for those who had an appointment or were applying for emergency visa and second for those who were there for correction of their application (visited earlier in the morning and were asked to update/correct their application and come back later) or were walk-in
- It took around 30 minutes (waiting and submitting application) once I was in the queue inside
- They "kept" original birth certificate (short version, not the statement of live birth) and said it will be sent back via courier. I found it strange since no checklist item/form mentions to use the short form birth certificate and my understanding was they do not ask for and/or keep original of that
- I was told that birth certificate (original) will be mailed back in around 20 days and OCI booklet in around 7-8 weeks

thisisdna

Nov 19, 2021
Hey guys,

Was on the phone with BLS Brampton today, and they said that there is a new rule issued today, which states that you cannot apply for OCI and Surrender Certificate together.

From now on, surrender certificate needs to be attained before applying for OCI. This won't affect applications made prior to today, but from today onwards that's the new rule apparently.

I was going to apply for both of them together but due to the new rule can only do one at a time.

Just thought I'd let everyone know about this, and incase anyone is in the same boat, if they can confirm this with their experience/interaction with BLS that'd be great!

lifein360

Jan 23, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Jan 17, 2017
Med's Done....
Feb 20, 2017
Passport Req..
Mar 20, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
Mar 24, 2017
LANDED..........
Apr 23, 2017
Hey guys,

Was on the phone with BLS Brampton today, and they said that there is a new rule issued today, which states that you cannot apply for OCI and Surrender Certificate together.

From now on, surrender certificate needs to be attained before applying for OCI. This won't affect applications made prior to today, but from today onwards that's the new rule apparently.

I was going to apply for both of them together but due to the new rule can only do one at a time.

Just thought I'd let everyone know about this, and incase anyone is in the same boat, if they can confirm this with their experience/interaction with BLS that'd be great!
WTF lol. So stupid. Applying for both together is so much more efficient. Why do they want to increase their workload.

You're right. Just checked the website too https://www.blsindia-canada.com/CanadaVisaCCT/toronto-oci-checklist-rev-11-10-Nov-21.pdf

There used to be a bit around "you can apply for both OCI and surrender together" in the surrender certificate section. That seems to be gone now.

sumg

Star Member
Apr 8, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-Aug-2014
Nomination.....
08-Dec-2014
Med's Request
17-Mar-2015
Med's Done....
23-Mar-2015; Meds Received: 31-Mar-2015
Passport Req..
13-05-2015
LANDED..........
20-06-2015
Any idea how long it takes to rcv the surrender certificate?
Planning to submit next week, but worried if it comes during the holidays and we are out of town.

thisisdna

Nov 19, 2021
WTF lol. So stupid. Applying for both together is so much more efficient. Why do they want to increase their workload.

You're right. Just checked the website too https://www.blsindia-canada.com/CanadaVisaCCT/toronto-oci-checklist-rev-11-10-Nov-21.pdf

There used to be a bit around "you can apply for both OCI and surrender together" in the surrender certificate section. That seems to be gone now.
Ya I agree...they're just adding more work for themselves. Yes, I saw the updated checklist as well, it doesn't mention anything about applying for both of them together. Which means the agent on the phone from BLS was right. Seems like it was just updated as well. (It mentions revised Nov 21).

thisisdna

Nov 19, 2021
Any idea how long it takes to rcv the surrender certificate?
Planning to submit next week, but worried if it comes during the holidays and we are out of town.
The BLS agent on the phone mentioned it would take approximately 3 weeks for the surrender certificate to arrive. Can arrive little later as well. Some people seem to have gotten it after the 3 week time frame as well..

annapatram

Star Member
Nov 27, 2017
Hey guys,

I echo this.. After hearing this news from BLS agent, I did go to the BLS office in Brampton directly and enquired on this. OCI and passport surrender cannot be applied at same time going forward. Looks like this decision was taken last week