+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

sharadsinha

Star Member
Feb 7, 2015
Hi I'm planning to apply OCI for my newborn. Do they need marriage certificate certified by MEA and CGI? Thanks

I'm also going to apply for surrender certificate and OCI for myself only (I'm Indian citizen and spouse is Indian citizen too). Do i need to submit our birth certificates in that case if I already have Indian passports? Thanks
yes you will need marriage certificate. Hope your marriage certificate is issued from India( things will be easier in that case). For baby you will need to submit her birth certificate from Canada along with all the documents of yourself and your spouse.

Reactions: dakugandhi

thenumbiceman

Star Member
Sep 11, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-09-2015
Doc's Request.
~
AOR Received.
05-09-2015
IELTS Request
~
Med's Request
~
Passport Req..
26-01-2016
I AM DONE! JUST GOT MY OCI,

SUBMITTED TORONTO WALK IN - OCT 8
OCI RECEIVED - NOV 18

NO MORE CHECKING STATUS.

HOPE ALL OF YOU GET YOURS ON TIME. CHEERS!

THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO HELPED FROM MY PR, CITIZENSHIP AND OCI.

jackbauer

Feb 15, 2017
Category........
Other
Hey so they opened up US centers of enrollment for nexus @rajkamalmohanram

I’m going to Niagara for a day trip in Jan, called the pearson office & they said Canada isn’t opening their enrollment centers any time soon.
I read on the site that both CBSA & CBP need to give approval. I’m going to the whirlpool bridge on the US side, do you think I will still be needed to go on the Canadian side (CBSA)?

lifein360

Jan 23, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Jan 17, 2017
Med's Done....
Feb 20, 2017
Passport Req..
Mar 20, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
Mar 24, 2017
LANDED..........
Apr 23, 2017

I’m going to Niagara for a day trip in Jan, called the pearson office & they said Canada isn’t opening their enrollment centers any time soon.
I read on the site that both CBSA & CBP need to give approval. I’m going to the whirlpool bridge on the US side, do you think I will still be needed to go on the Canadian side (CBSA)?
Won't you have to pay for a PCR test to get back to Canada? The PCR test will be more costly than the NEXUS itself. Just checked the dates...Feb 2022 Niagara. But you can get in Detroit faster if you go westward

Last edited:

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015

You can get your enrollment done in the US, that's not an issue. Both CBP and CBSA would have looked into your application before providing a conditional approval. You can take your Nexus appointment either in Canada or in the US, that shouldn't matter AFAIK.

However....

I think the Whirlpool bridge is Nexus-only. If you are traveling by car, you might have to enter the US via Rainbow bridge and then drive to Whirlpool enrollment center which is pretty close by.

Also, before you book an appointment, make sure that the Whirlpool center has Iris scanners - I am not sure if the one at Whirlpool has it. I would like to get everything done in one go. The Mississauga enrollment center (at Pearson International) has iris scanner. That's why, I'm waiting for the Canadian enrollment centers to open so that I can go there and get everything done in one go. If I plan to fly to the US next year to meet friends or family, I'll see if there are any enrollment centers with iris scanners and then book an appointment with them.

Also, you'll have to take a Covid-19 test before you return to Canada. The US doesn't require it but when you cross the border and try to get back to Canada, you'll be asked for one. AFAIK, you can get one before you leave and you can show the same test result on your way back as long as you are returning within 3 days from the date of the test.

jackbauer

Feb 15, 2017
Category........
Other
You can get your enrollment done in the US, that's not an issue. Both CBP and CBSA would have looked into your application before providing a conditional approval. You can take your Nexus appointment either in Canada or in the US, that shouldn't matter AFAIK.

However....

I think the Whirlpool bridge is Nexus-only. If you are traveling by car, you might have to enter the US via Rainbow bridge and then drive to Whirlpool enrollment center which is pretty close by.

Also, before you book an appointment, make sure that the Whirlpool center has Iris scanners - I am not sure if the one at Whirlpool has it. I would like to get everything done in one go. The Mississauga enrollment center (at Pearson International) has iris scanner. That's why, I'm waiting for the Canadian enrollment centers to open so that I can go there and get everything done in one go. If I plan to fly to the US next year to meet friends or family, I'll see if there are any enrollment centers with iris scanners and then book an appointment with them.

Also, you'll have to take a Covid-19 test before you return to Canada. The US doesn't require it but when you cross the border and try to get back to Canada, you'll be asked for one. AFAIK, you can get one before you leave and you can show the same test result on your way back as long as you are returning within 3 days from the date of the test.
You know you are absolutely right, I called the 1800 number & the guy basically confirmed both CBSA & CBP are present & that’s the only center that is open in the US for the entire region right now. I’m thinking they should have the Iris scanner. He also said without the card, if i ever attempt Nexus Lane, the officer can ban me. So I’ll take the lewiston bridge & go there.

I guess there’s a chance, Canada might take away the test by then. Test is not an issue as CVS has free NAAT at most locations. I confirmed mine for Jan First week & gosh now all dates till Feb end are gone. My only question though is I applied with my Indian passport details, although the agent confirmed they can update my Canadian passport info as long as I bring it, I might not have my Indian passport then to show them its cancelled.
How long does Indian passport Take to get cancelled while applying for OCI?

Reactions: rajkamalmohanram

jackbauer

Feb 15, 2017
Category........
Other
Won't you have to pay for a PCR test to get back to Canada? The PCR test will be more costly than the NEXUS itself. Just checked the dates...Feb 2022 Niagara. But you can get in Detroit faster if you go westward
Hi - there’s a chance they will take that test away by then.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/amp/politics/article-canada-has-three-stage-approach-to-loosening-covid-19-testing-trudeau/

US has many free testing sites anyway, so I don’t think this should be a problem.

Reactions: lifein360

mili_0923

Oct 26, 2021
Hi guys,
I finally got my status updated yaaaay!!! How can we track from Purolator?

Also I saw comments about stamping the passports? They already return the original documents since Oct 14th. And there were no stamping. I believe the booklet itself is a stamping?
Please enlighten me on this. I was a little confused.

Documents Printing StatusPROCESSEDOn12-NOV-2021
Dispatched From MEA (OCI )NEW DELHIOn15-NOV-2021
Document received AtOTTAWAOn18-NOV-2021

Reactions: rajkamalmohanram

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
You know you are absolutely right, I called the 1800 number & the guy basically confirmed both CBSA & CBP are present & that’s the only center that is open in the US for the entire region right now. I’m thinking they should have the Iris scanner. He also said without the card, if i ever attempt Nexus Lane, the officer can ban me. So I’ll take the lewiston bridge & go there.

I guess there’s a chance, Canada might take away the test by then. Test is not an issue as CVS has free NAAT at most locations. I confirmed mine for Jan First week & gosh now all dates till Feb end are gone. My only question though is I applied with my Indian passport details, although the agent confirmed they can update my Canadian passport info as long as I bring it, I might not have my Indian passport then to show them its cancelled.
How long does Indian passport Take to get cancelled while applying for OCI?
The processing times for surrender were updated to minimum 8 weeks for Toronto jurisdiction the last time I checked. So, expect it'll take at least that long for you to receive the cancelled passport.

Once you receive it, you can take both the cancelled Indian passport and the Canadian passport and complete your interview.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hi guys,
I finally got my status updated yaaaay!!! How can we track from Purolator?

Also I saw comments about stamping the passports? They already return the original documents since Oct 14th. And there were no stamping. I believe the booklet itself is a stamping?
Please enlighten me on this. I was a little confused.

Documents Printing StatusPROCESSEDOn12-NOV-2021
Dispatched From MEA (OCI )NEW DELHIOn15-NOV-2021
Document received AtOTTAWAOn18-NOV-2021
Try your OCI reference number and track on Purolator site.