+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

Mamin

Dec 4, 2018
Sorry being an off topic here but couldn’t find relevant group.
So i am travelling from Toronto to Ahmedabad via Delhi in Air India. I have 3 hours of connection at Delhi Airport before boarding a flight to Ahmedabad. My question is; do we have to collect our luggage at delhi and submit again to air india counter ? Is 3 hours enough for immigration and other formalities ?
Fyi ; entire journey from toronto to ahmedabad is under one PNR.
Yes, Your customs shall be done at Delhi. After that you have to pick all your baggage and proceed to domestic flight to fly to Ahmedabad.

*I don’t know but I have heard that those traveling by Air India are getting help from Air India staff to transfer their luggage from International flight to domestic flight.

Please make sure to take your RT- PCR from Delhi airport only when you return to Toronto.

How long you will be in India. Your travel experience during these days to India will be very helpful for us so please post your feedback at Delhi airport when you reach home and also during your return flight to Toronto.

thanking You

lifein360

Jan 23, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Jan 17, 2017
Med's Done....
Feb 20, 2017
Passport Req..
Mar 20, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
Mar 24, 2017
LANDED..........
Apr 23, 2017
Folks flying to India and not to Delhi - which flights have you found that have sufficient stopover time in connecting airport that allows time to get a RT PCR test? I am referring to the return flight back to Canada. Most of the middle eastern ones have like 2 hours between connections which may not be enough.

Last edited:

thenumbiceman

Star Member
Sep 11, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-09-2015
Doc's Request.
~
AOR Received.
05-09-2015
IELTS Request
~
Med's Request
~
Passport Req..
26-01-2016
Folks flying to India and not to Delhi - which flights have you found that have sufficient stopover time in connecting airport that allows time to get a RT PCR test? Most of the middle eastern ones have like 2 hours between connections which may not be enough.
Dubai with a stopover.

lifein360

Jan 23, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Jan 17, 2017
Med's Done....
Feb 20, 2017
Passport Req..
Mar 20, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
Mar 24, 2017
LANDED..........
Apr 23, 2017
Dubai with a stopover.
Emirates has 2-2:30 hr stopover in most flights I've seen connecting to Mumbai or Chennai. Are you seeing any longer ones?

thenumbiceman

Star Member
Sep 11, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-09-2015
Doc's Request.
~
AOR Received.
05-09-2015
IELTS Request
~
Med's Request
~
Passport Req..
26-01-2016
Emirates has 2-2:30 hr stopover in most flights I've seen connecting to Mumbai or Chennai. Are you seeing any longer ones?
Tests at the airport or nearby take upto 24hrs. So I have a layover of 2 nights in Dubai.

priysen02

Star Member
Apr 21, 2020
Hey all any suggestion please if the National Identification Number can be kept blank ?

BLS folks are themselves confused some say write your passport number some say birth certificate number in you tube they say it's SSN

Any suggestion is truly helpful and appreciated

sharadsinha

Star Member
Feb 7, 2015
Folks flying to India and not to Delhi - which flights have you found that have sufficient stopover time in connecting airport that allows time to get a RT PCR test? I am referring to the return flight back to Canada. Most of the middle eastern ones have like 2 hours between connections which may not be enough.
Why don't you take the direct flight from Delhi to Toronto? That will eliminate the need of having PCR from transit country,

lifein360

Jan 23, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Jan 17, 2017
Med's Done....
Feb 20, 2017
Passport Req..
Mar 20, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
Mar 24, 2017
LANDED..........
Apr 23, 2017
Why don't you take the direct flight from Delhi to Toronto? That will eliminate the need of having PCR from transit country,
Trying to avoid it as I like the EU or Middle eastern connections from Chennai. But the more I read online, it seems it is a big hassle to get a RT PCR molecular test at airports for transiting passengers. Not getting any clarity from any website. Plus RT PCR will take up to a day or so I think.

So I may probably end up booking Air Canada as you said :(

sharadsinha

Star Member
Feb 7, 2015
Trying to avoid it as I like the EU or Middle eastern connections from Chennai. But the more I read online, it seems it is a big hassle to get a RT PCR molecular test at airports for transiting passengers. Not getting any clarity from any website. Plus RT PCR will take up to a day or so I think.

Even I had booked via Doha earlier but due to uncertainty later booked direct flight. Chennai -> Delhi -> Toronto will be best option for you. Just make sure the stopover time in Delhi is enough to get the RT-PCR done. if you stop for more than a certain hours in a certain transit locations like EU or middle eastern then you may need transit visa.( be sure about that risk as well )

lifein360

Jan 23, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Jan 17, 2017
Med's Done....
Feb 20, 2017
Passport Req..
Mar 20, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
Mar 24, 2017
LANDED..........
Apr 23, 2017
Even I had booked via Doha earlier but due to uncertainty later booked direct flight. Chennai -> Delhi -> Toronto will be best option for you. Just make sure the stopover time in Delhi is enough to get the RT-PCR done. if you stop for more than a certain hours in a certain transit locations like EU or middle eastern then you may need transit visa.( be sure about that risk as well )
Ya true. I am hoping to fly Feb-Mar of 2022. Who knows what the rules are then lol (hopefully lot more relaxed but thats all a question mark)

Reactions: sharadsinha

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015

I booked BA with a long layover in London when returning to Canada. Close to 10 hours layover - Ample time to get a PCR test done and get the results. The catch is that you'll have to enter the country (clear immigration and customs), get the test done, get the report (3 hours waiting time for the report) and then clear immigrations and customs again to board the flight.

Last edited:

lifein360

Jan 23, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Jan 17, 2017
Med's Done....
Feb 20, 2017
Passport Req..
Mar 20, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
Mar 24, 2017
LANDED..........
Apr 23, 2017
I booked BA with a long layover in London when returning to Canada. Close to 10 hours layover - Ample time to get a PCR test done and get the results. The catch is that you'll have to enter the country (clear immigration and customs), get the test done, get the report (3 hours waiting time for the report) and then clear immigrations and customs again to board the flight.
If you clear immigration don't you have to take seperate bookings and not 1 booking ID? Like 1 Canada-Heathtrow-Canada. And also one from Heathrow-India-heathrow?

Also, don't you have to get your luggage out?

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
If you clear immigration don't you have to take seperate bookings and not 1 booking ID? Like 1 Canada-Heathtrow-Canada. And also one from Heathrow-India-heathrow?

Also, don't you have to get your luggage out?
I don't think so. My luggage will be checked in to the final destination (to Toronto). Instead of waiting airside at Heathrow, I'll complete immigration and customs, exit the airport, get the test done, get the report and re-enter the airport. I think that should be possible (or at least that's my train of thought).

Are you sure that the trip has to be in 2 separate tickets if I want to clear immigration and enter the country just for the covid test?