+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

Starlinka

Oct 21, 2021
Hi folks
In order to renounce my indian citizenship
Do i need to have a canadian passport?
Is citizenship certificate not enough for that?
I dont have any travel plans so i am not applying for canadian passport yet.
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hello everyone
I am new to this forum. Planning to apply for an OCI for me and my 6 year old son. Was reading up and the whole process is pretty daunting. Don’t know where to start. I have a millions questions on my list. I’ll be applying from Alberta through mail.
1. Can I mail both of our applications together?

2. I don’t have a surrender certificate in particular. I have my cancelled Indian passport with a stamp on it saying it has been cancelled. So do I have to apply for a surrender certificate separately or is the stamp on the cancelled passport sufficient?

3.My Indian passport has my maiden name and my Canadian passport has a different last name since I got married. So I should print a letter explaining why. Should theaffidavit be notarized?

4.How do we scan a thumb print?

5.Do we have to upload the documents in part A or part B?

Really sorry for asking so many questions. Some may sound silly but any help is appreciated.
Thank you
1. YES, AFAIK.

2. "Surrender" process doesn't happen automatically. You have to submit an application and go through the process. Unless your passport says something like "Cancelled on account of holder voluntarily acquiring Canadian citizenship", it means you haven't surrendered your passport and your citizenship yet. When did you obtain Canadian citizenship? Do you recall applying for "surrender of citizenship" before?

3. It would be better if you submit a letter but I am not sure about this.

4. Not sure about this either, maybe someone with kids can help you.

5. There is only one part where documents need to be uploaded. Simply follow the prompts and instructions and you'll see a page to upload documents. I think it is in part B.

Reactions: krunal2904

Jyothi87

Oct 21, 2021
My Indian passport has a stamp on its first and last page that says THIS PSSPORT IS CANCELLED AS THE HOLDER HAS ACQUIRED CANADIAN NATIONALITY. THIS PASSPORT IS NO LONGER VALID AS A TRAVEL DOCUMENT OR A PROOF OF INDIAN NATIONALITY.

Last edited:

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
My Indian passport has a stamp on its first and last page that says THIS PSSPORT IS CANCELLED AS THE HOLDER HAS ACQUIRED CANADIAN NATIONALITY. THIS PASSPORT IS NO LONGER VALID AS A TRAVEL DOCUMENT OR A PROOF OF INDIAN NATIONALITY.
Yes, so that means you have surrendered your citizenship and passport. You must have lost your surrender certificate then. According to the OCI documents checklist - "If you have misplaced / lost your Surrender Certificate, you may provide a photocopy of the Indian passport that was surrendered and endorsed with the stamp ‘Cancelled on acquiring Foreign Citizenship’ and apply for duplicate/deemed surrender certificate."

https://www.blsindia-canada.com/CanadaVisaCCT/Toronto-OCI-Checklist-Rev-11-9-March-31-21.pdf

Reactions: Jyothi87

lifein360

Jan 23, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Jan 17, 2017
Med's Done....
Feb 20, 2017
Passport Req..
Mar 20, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
Mar 24, 2017
LANDED..........
Apr 23, 2017
Not related to OCI but maybe useful for all reading this thread. They have simplified wording of the return to Canada rules for passengers flying from India. Nothing is changing, but its a lot simpler to understand now hopefully for everyone. We still need to take two tests in total unless flying direct from Delhi

---

Direct flights
India

If you’re taking a direct flight from India to Canada, you’ll need proof of a negative COVID-19 molecular test from the Genestrings Laboratory at the Delhi airport. The test must be taken within 18 hours of the scheduled departure of your direct flight to Canada.

Indirect flights from India or Morocco
If you’re taking an indirect flight from India or Morocco to Canada, you’ll still need proof of a negative COVID-19 molecular test, within 72 hours of your final flight to Canada. The test must be taken in the country from which your flight to Canada will depart

lifein360

Jan 23, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Jan 17, 2017
Med's Done....
Feb 20, 2017
Passport Req..
Mar 20, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
Mar 24, 2017
LANDED..........
Apr 23, 2017
Based on recent comments, I believe I won't be able to see anything atleast for 2 weeks after submission. I currently see "No records found"
Is that correct ?
yep, check in two full weeks on the ociservices site

Reactions: ajit90

sharadsinha

Star Member
Feb 7, 2015
How and when your passport cancellation happened? You never received an enclosed cancellation letter along with cancelled passport?

tamilvanan3

Star Member
Mar 25, 2017
Hello everyone
I am new to this forum. Planning to apply for an OCI for me and my 6 year old son. Was reading up and the whole process is pretty daunting. Don’t know where to start. I have a millions questions on my list. I’ll be applying from Alberta through mail.
1. Can I mail both of our applications together?

2. I don’t have a surrender certificate in particular. I have my cancelled Indian passport with a stamp on it saying it has been cancelled. So do I have to apply for a surrender certificate separately or is the stamp on the cancelled passport sufficient?

3.My Indian passport has my maiden name and my Canadian passport has a different last name since I got married. So I should print a letter explaining why. Should theaffidavit be notarized?

4.How do we scan a thumb print?

5.Do we have to upload the documents in part A or part B?

Really sorry for asking so many questions. Some may sound silly but any help is appreciated.
Thank you
Hi, I did Thump print for my 3 months old recently. Take the thump print in the white paper for scanning to upload. Also, you can able to adjust while uploading to the OCI website.