+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Tomorrow will be 4 weeks from the date of submission of application. My surrender application still says "Processing at consulate general" on BLS website and "Surrender certificate has been granted and is available for issuance." on the CGI website. I contacted BLS and they told me that the consulate has not yet sent the documents back to them.

AKS@1987

Star Member
Nov 4, 2016
Tomorrow will be 4 weeks from the date of submission of application. My surrender application still says "Processing at consulate general" on BLS website and "Surrender certificate has been granted and is available for issuance." on the CGI website. I contacted BLS and they told me that the consulate has not yet sent the documents back to them.
As per BLS website - Surrender of Indian Passport - Minimum Processing time is around 8 weeks

and Issuance of OCI Booklet -4- 5 Weeks.

However after looking at timelines from candidates of this forum - It seems Surrender takes less time (4 weeks) than OCI (6 weeks min)

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
As per BLS website - Surrender of Indian Passport - Minimum Processing time is around 8 weeks

and Issuance of OCI Booklet -4- 5 Weeks.

However after looking at timelines from candidates of this forum - It seems Surrender takes less time (4 weeks) than OCI (6 weeks min)
Yeah the lady at BLS told me the processing time is 4 weeks for Surrender and 6 weeks for OCI.

So weird. Most people who posted here got their Surrender completed before 4 weeks. I guess I'm the exception here :p .

vishalv

Jul 5, 2015
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
ADVO
App. Filed.......
22-07-2016
Passport Req..
13-01-2016
VISA ISSUED...
28-02-2016
LANDED..........
12-03-2016
Yeah the lady at BLS told me the processing time is 4 weeks for Surrender and 6 weeks for OCI.

So weird. Most people who posted here got their Surrender completed before 4 weeks. I guess I'm the exception here :p .
You are not alone mate. My application for passport surrender was picked up on 30th August & still no news.

BLS shows "Processing at. Indian Consulate"& Passport Sewa tracker shows "Application submitted at Indian Consulate with supporting documents"

Reactions: rajkamalmohanram

vishalv

Jul 5, 2015
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
ADVO
App. Filed.......
22-07-2016
Passport Req..
13-01-2016
VISA ISSUED...
28-02-2016
LANDED..........
12-03-2016
Just noticed an update in the Passport Sewa tracker:
"Surrender certificate has been granted and is available for issuance."

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
You are not alone mate. My application for passport surrender was picked up on 30th August & still no news.

BLS shows "Processing at. Indian Consulate"& Passport Sewa tracker shows "Application submitted at Indian Consulate with supporting documents"
Oh well. I think they recently updated the processing time to 8 weeks on the BLS website for surrender. I don't remember seeing 8 weeks there before. Anyway, I've sent them a DM on Twitter. Let's see if I get a useful response or some movement in my file.

Reactions: vishalv

angelinyc11

May 23, 2019
The courier fees is confusing. I submitted my application in-person to avoid all this headache.

Alternatively, you can pay for the courier here =>

https://www.blsindia-canada.com/postalbls/pickup-and-drop.php

This is for pickup and drop off charges and include the payment receipt in your OCI application package. Also, just to be safe, include a letter with BOLD text that states that you've already paid for courier and included the receipt in along with the application package.

Thanks so much @rajkamalmohanram

Reactions: rajkamalmohanram

barunk19

Star Member
Jun 17, 2015
Friends, My application is from Edmonton send to vancouver via mail service on last thursday for passport surrender & OCI. I just noticed today, i have put wrongly the passport number in the passport surrender form (had my kid passport number instead of mine). Will it be issue, BLS will send back ??

andyincanada

Star Member
Aug 18, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-11-2016
Nomination.....
27-10-2016
AOR Received.
04-11-2016
Med's Done....
20-10-2016
Passport Req..
12 Apr 2017
VISA ISSUED...
20-Apr-2017
I could see the BLS status for OCI application that the Original Documents ready to dispatch. So, the Original COPR is being returned back.
Question - is the original COPR to be submitted for the application of OCI? I did not see that in the checklist.

maddy_m

Star Member
May 28, 2021
Question - is the original COPR to be submitted for the application of OCI? I did not see that in the checklist.
I don't think you need to send any original documents along with the postal application except the Indian passport. If you are going for in-person application in BLS Toronto, I have noticed that BLS is requesting original COPR for few applicants. I am not sure on what criteria, BLS decides to submit the original COPR.
It is my personal experience that BLS asked to submit the original COPR and provided an acknowledgement document for the submission of original COPR. I have received the submitted Original COPR back.

Mamin

Dec 4, 2018
I don't think you need to send any original documents along with the postal application except the Indian passport. If you are going for in-person application in BLS Toronto, I have noticed that BLS is requesting original COPR for few applicants. I am not sure on what criteria, BLS decides to submit the original COPR.
It is my personal experience that BLS asked to submit the original COPR and provided an acknowledgement document for the submission of original COPR. I have received the submitted Original COPR back.
What kind of acknowledgment do they provide against submission of original documents like CORP.

I understand that they verbally inform the applicant that BLS wants to send originals to consulate office and charge $30.00 for Purolator to send back original to applicant.

maddy_m

Star Member
May 28, 2021
What kind of acknowledgment do they provide against submission of original documents like CORP.

I understand that they verbally inform the applicant that BLS wants to send originals to consulate office and charge $30.00 for Purolator to send back original to applicant.
An acknowledgement document which points out that the draft has been submitted along with the draft amount and also BLS check marks the Landing paper item in list of original documents submitted in the same acknowledgement document.