+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

sasha0007

Jul 9, 2021
Does anyone know if BLS Toronto (at Lawrence Avenue E) is accepting OCI applications via walkin as there are no appointments available.

harmol

Jul 25, 2017
Hello,
I got my Canadian citizenship in February and I am planning to surrender my Indian passport and apply for OCI at the same time.
I would like to know if this is possible, or do I need to return the Indian passport first and then apply for OCI ?

Also I am thinking about going in person to BLS Toronto. Can someone please confirm is they accept walk-ins?

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hello,
I got my Canadian citizenship in February and I am planning to surrender my Indian passport and apply for OCI at the same time.
I would like to know if this is possible, or do I need to return the Indian passport first and then apply for OCI ?

Also I am thinking about going in person to BLS Toronto. Can someone please confirm is they accept walk-ins?
You can apply for Surrender and OCI at the same time. There were a couple of confirmed reports about BLS Brampton accepting walk-in applications. You just have to wait for hours to get in.

ani8886

Star Member
Jan 14, 2017
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
25-01-2017
Med's Done....
21-06-2017
Passport Req..
14-07-2017
VISA ISSUED...
20-07-2017
LANDED..........
19-11-2017
My minor child's OCI application dates (sorry I only remember the key dates, and the statuses mentioned below are not exactly as shown on BLS site)

21-Jul-21: Walk in application at BLS Toronto
28-Jul-21: BLS status: Original documents dispatched with Purolator link
19-Aug-21: OCI Stamped (no Purolator link)
23-Aug-21: OCI delivered to home

vishalv

Jul 5, 2015
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
ADVO
App. Filed.......
22-07-2016
Passport Req..
13-01-2016
VISA ISSUED...
28-02-2016
LANDED..........
12-03-2016
||Long post alert||

I called BLS and got some clarification on the application, here's my experience of submitting my application for OCI+Surrender application via Purolator :
  1. Documents submitted for Passport Surrender (Toronto Jurisdiction):
    • Checklist (signed on both pages)
    • Surrender application completed online
      • Pasted one 2"x2" photo
      • Signed on both pages
    • One extra 2"x2" photo (to be on safer side)
    • Original Indian Passport
    • Copy of Indian Passport (First and Last Page)
    • Copy of Canadian Passport (Bio Page)
    • Copy of Citizenship Certificate (Front Page)
    • Copy of D/L (Address proof)
    • Copy of CoPR
    • $129.40 Bank Draft addressed to BLS International Services Inc.
  2. Documents submitted for OCI (Toronto Jurisdiction):
    • Checklist (signed on all pages)
    • OCI Application completed online
      • Relationship with Root Indian -> SELF
      • Uploaded these documents online:
        • Copy of Previous Indian passport
        • Copy of Current Canadian passport
        • Copy of CoPR (Indian Visa)
        • Copy of Marriage Certificate
    • One 2"x2" photo
    • Copy of CoPR (landing document)
    • Copy of Spouse Documents (still Indian):
      • Copy of Current Indian Passport
      • Copy of PR Card (status in Canada)
      • Copy of CoPR (Landing document)
    • Bank Drafts:
      • $345 addressed to Consulate General of India, Toronto
      • $7.40 addressed to BLS International Services Inc.
    • Copy of BLS Order Confirmation (Courier Fees)
Notes:
  1. I had self-attested all copies:
    • First added the line ("This is a true copy of the original") and date on the bottom of all documents via Acrobat Reader DC.
    • Printed all documents (grayscale) and signed the physical documents for including in respective file folders (one each for 'OCI' and 'Passport Surrender' applications).
    • For uploading the 4 documents with OCI application, I added my signature via Acrobat Reader DC rather than scanning the documents again (I have a neat scanned copy of my signature for such purposes).
  2. Although I applied OCI as Self (not on the basis of Spouse or Parents), but BLS support told me that I will still need to provide these:
    • Copy of Marriage Certificate (Upload + Physical)
    • Copy of Spouse Documents (Physical)
  3. Photos:
    • The photos don't need to be stamped (like Canadian PR/Passport photos). Just need to be neat and recent as per guidelines.
    • I took a clean Photo myself and created 2"x2" image. Actually created a 4"x 6" Photo by added six of these 2"x2" images.
    • You can print such 4"x6" photos for cheap (10-40 cents from Walmart, Staples, SDM). Cut them into six of 2"x2" images.
  4. I couldn't get any appointment for BLS, Toronto (very close to my place) and I understand the $90 Courier fees (1 pickup + 2 drop-offs) could have been optimized as suggested by others, but apparently these mail-in applications are processed in BLS, Brampton. It made more sense for me to go with this option rather than picking up from BLS, Brampton.
  5. I spoke to two BLS support persons, I have already mentioned the crux above but here are some points related to Courier Fees and Bank Drafts:
    • First support person mentioned:
      • $105 courier fees (I didn't pay for this order)
      • 3 bank drafts (One for Surrender and two for OCI). I asked if I could club the BLS drafts and he said 'NO'.
    • Second support person mentioned:
      • $90 courier fees (I paid for this order)
      • Two drafts instead of three i.e. BLS drafts can be clubbed to $136.40
    • I ended up choosing the 3 bank drafts option as its free for my bank account. But most importantly I wanted to create two separate file folders.
  6. Purolator driver came with the envelope and it was big enough to fit both of the file folders. My application is delivered to BLS, Brampton and I will share the future timeline.
Yes, the instructions are complex and makes it difficult/annoying to apply but we all have to go through it. Mark my words that once everything is submitted, you will definitely feel relieved and deserve a pat on your back :)

Special thanks to @sydcarton and @rajkamalmohanram
Thank you for such a detailed & well written post. It acts as a guideline for all of us who are about to kickstart this process.

I have a question. If I am applying only for Indian passport surrender, is the Canadian passport required ? I have just applied for a Canadian passport & was informed it would take one month for it to arrive.

I was thinking whether it would be a good idea to submit my application for Indian passport surrender while waiting for my Canadian passport to arrive.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Thank you for such a detailed & well written post. It acts as a guideline for all of us who are about to kickstart this process.

I have a question. If I am applying only for Indian passport surrender, is the Canadian passport required ? I have just applied for a Canadian passport & was informed it would take one month for it to arrive.

I was thinking whether it would be a good idea to submit my application for Indian passport surrender while waiting for my Canadian passport to arrive.
I think you can surrender your Indian citizenship without having a Canadian passport. If you look at the surrender application form on the passport seva website, the "Canadian Passport Number" field is marked as non-mandatory.

But someone who had done this before can confirm.

Reactions: vishalv

vishalv

Jul 5, 2015
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
ADVO
App. Filed.......
22-07-2016
Passport Req..
13-01-2016
VISA ISSUED...
28-02-2016
LANDED..........
12-03-2016
I think you can surrender your Indian citizenship without having a Canadian passport. If you look at the surrender application form on the passport seva website, the "Canadian Passport Number" field is marked as non-mandatory.

But someone who had done this before can confirm.
Thanks mate for your response. You are correct, the field marked Canadian passport number is non-mandatory. I think I will go ahead and apply.

cnonline

Star Member
Jun 28, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sent on May 23, 2013. Received by CIC on May 28, 2013
AOR Received.
CPPO does not send
IELTS Request
NA
File Transfer...
Aug 16, 2013 (@ time of PER)
Med's Request
Nov 13, 2013
Med's Done....
Nov 21, 2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Dec 23, 2013. PP sent on Dec 30, 2013, received by CPPO on Jan 6, 2014.
VISA ISSUED...
Dec 23, 2013 --- Valid until Dec 5, 2014.
LANDED..........
Mar 08, 2014
Thanks mate for your response. You are correct, the field marked Canadian passport number is non-mandatory. I think I will go ahead and apply.
I was under the same impression and was going to do that, but when I called BLS about it they said its not recommended to apply without Canadian passport. I tried to argue as to why, but did not get any convincing response. In order not to fight the system, I waited until I received Canadian passport and applied for surrender and OCI at the same time. Try calling BLS and see if you receive its response. Here is BLS number: 416-307-2237 press 1 then press 2 (for passport) or press 3 (for OCI) press 4 (for Others)

lifein360

Jan 23, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Jan 17, 2017
Med's Done....
Feb 20, 2017
Passport Req..
Mar 20, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
Mar 24, 2017
LANDED..........
Apr 23, 2017
||Long post alert||

I called BLS and got some clarification on the application, here's my experience of submitting my application for OCI+Surrender application via Purolator :
  1. Documents submitted for Passport Surrender (Toronto Jurisdiction):
    • Checklist (signed on both pages)
    • Surrender application completed online
      • Pasted one 2"x2" photo
      • Signed on both pages
    • One extra 2"x2" photo (to be on safer side)
    • Original Indian Passport
    • Copy of CoPR
    • $129.40 Bank Draft addressed to BLS International Services Inc.
  2. Documents submitted for OCI (Toronto Jurisdiction):
    • Checklist (signed on all pages)
    • OCI Application completed online
      • Relationship with Root Indian -> SELF
      • Uploaded these documents online:
        • Copy of Previous Indian passport
        • Copy of Current Canadian passport
        • Copy of CoPR (Indian Visa)
    • One 2"x2" photo
    • Copy of CoPR (landing document)
    • Copy of Spouse Documents (still Indian):
      • Copy of Current Indian Passport
      • Copy of PR Card (status in Canada)
      • Copy of CoPR (Landing document)
    • Bank Drafts:
      • $345 addressed to Consulate General of India, Toronto
      • $7.40 addressed to BLS International Services Inc.
    • Copy of BLS Order Confirmation (Courier Fees)
Notes:
  1. I had self-attested all copies:
    • First added the line ("This is a true copy of the original") and date on the bottom of all documents via Acrobat Reader DC.
    • Printed all documents (grayscale) and signed the physical documents for including in respective file folders (one each for 'OCI' and 'Passport Surrender' applications).
    • For uploading the 4 documents with OCI application, I added my signature via Acrobat Reader DC rather than scanning the documents again (I have a neat scanned copy of my signature for such purposes).
  2. Although I applied OCI as Self (not on the basis of Spouse or Parents), but BLS support told me that I will still need to provide these:
    • Copy of Marriage Certificate (Upload + Physical)
    • Copy of Spouse Documents (Physical)
  3. Photos:
    • The photos don't need to be stamped (like Canadian PR/Passport photos). Just need to be neat and recent as per guidelines.
    • I took a clean Photo myself and created 2"x2" image. Actually created a 4"x 6" Photo by added six of these 2"x2" images.
    • You can print such 4"x6" photos for cheap (10-40 cents from Walmart, Staples, SDM). Cut them into six of 2"x2" images.
  4. I couldn't get any appointment for BLS, Toronto (very close to my place) and I understand the $90 Courier fees (1 pickup + 2 drop-offs) could have been optimized as suggested by others, but apparently these mail-in applications are processed in BLS, Brampton. It made more sense for me to go with this option rather than picking up from BLS, Brampton.
  5. I spoke to two BLS support persons, I have already mentioned the crux above but here are some points related to Courier Fees and Bank Drafts:
    • First support person mentioned:
      • $105 courier fees (I didn't pay for this order)
      • 3 bank drafts (One for Surrender and two for OCI). I asked if I could club the BLS drafts and he said 'NO'.
    • Second support person mentioned:
      • $90 courier fees (I paid for this order)
      • Two drafts instead of three i.e. BLS drafts can be clubbed to $136.40
    • I ended up choosing the 3 bank drafts option as its free for my bank account. But most importantly I wanted to create two separate file folders.
  6. Purolator driver came with the envelope and it was big enough to fit both of the file folders. My application is delivered to BLS, Brampton and I will share the future timeline.
Yes, the instructions are complex and makes it difficult/annoying to apply but we all have to go through it. Mark my words that once everything is submitted, you will definitely feel relieved and deserve a pat on your back :)

Special thanks to @sydcarton and @rajkamalmohanram

This is a fantastic writeup. Thanks for taking the time out to write this.

Just one Q, I imagine even if I apply in person, the document requirements remain the same. i.e if you've mentioned copy somewhere in the list above, I have to produce only the copy in person too? or do they ask for originals in person?

ocimsg

Aug 3, 2021
My OCI Journey for my Infant by postal Application at Brampton :
15 July: Purolator pickup
16 July: received at bls Brampton(updated in Purolator tracker )
23 July: got an email says need further documentation through Email. replied same day with the necessary documents
27 July: "Under process" in BLS Website
3 August: "Processing at Consulate" in BLS Website
24 August: "Documents Printing Status PROCESSED" in OCI website
24 August: "Dispatched From MEA(OCI )NEW DELHI" in oci website
24 August: "Document received At TORONTO" in oci website
25 August:" Passport ready For Collection after OCI stamping" in BLS website with delivery tracking number
26 August: OCI Received - delivered by Purolator.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Went to BLS Brampton today. Office opens at 8am. I was 10th in line when I reached at 7am.

Passport Surrender
Mode: Walk-in & requested it to be picked-up (no purolator)
13-Aug: Submitted at BLS Brampton
13-Aug: checked after submission - BLS Tracking - Under process

OCI
Mode: Walk-in & requested it to be picked-up (no purolator)
13-Aug: Submitted at BLS Brampton
13-Aug: checked after submission - BLS Tracking - Under process

Will update as I go along.
Hey, if I may ask, could you please tell me how long it took to complete the whole process with 10 people in front of you. What time did you get to the counter and when did you walk out?

vishalv

Jul 5, 2015
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
ADVO
App. Filed.......
22-07-2016
Passport Req..
13-01-2016
VISA ISSUED...
28-02-2016
LANDED..........
12-03-2016
I was under the same impression and was going to do that, but when I called BLS about it they said its not recommended to apply without Canadian passport. I tried to argue as to why, but did not get any convincing response. In order not to fight the system, I waited until I received Canadian passport and applied for surrender and OCI at the same time. Try calling BLS and see if you receive its response. Here is BLS number: 416-307-2237 press 1 then press 2 (for passport) or press 3 (for OCI) press 4 (for Others)
Thanks mate for the number. I just called BLS now and they confirmed that you can submit the Indian passport surrender application without Canadian passport. You have to write a letter addressed to CGI explaining that you do not have a Canadian passport & that in the meantime, you like to proceed with the Indian passport surrender.

saturnfan

May 3, 2014
Is anyone from Calgary applied for OCI and passport surrender at BLS calgary office? I was told that fee is $388 for OCI but BLS website has $352.5. They also mentioned more fee for passport surrender. If possible, I would like to pick up oci instead of paying for postal service. Can anyone clarify?

thanks,