+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

Coolguy00

Feb 15, 2018
Applying surrender and OCI at the same time in Toronto jurisdiction. The OCI online application after uploading documents generates a PDF of the application. This already has my scanned photo and signature. I have a black and white printer, so when I print, it will all print black and white. Do I need to paste photo on top of existing photo? What about signature (only sign on page 4 of the application where it states Declaration?)? Why do they make these things so confusing!
That’s ok. You don’t need to paste pic you can put pic in the envelope . I also submitted black and white print to bls.

Reactions: cnonline

Galdiator

Aug 8, 2021
Hello All, have to surrender my Indian passport and wanted experts advise here on number of photos needed for the same. Checklist says one photo is required but we do have to paste one on the application form itself. Does that mean we need one on application form and one along with document needs to be submitted as well?

did search on forum and other links but couldn’t find relevant info. Please advise. Thank you!

sg02

Star Member
Jan 7, 2017
I recently got my Canadian Citizenship and passport. Now I am preparing documents to apply for my OCI (+ Surrender my Indian Passport together). Please help me with below queries.

a) Since all copies need to be Self-Attested before uploading, by writing “This is a true copy of the original,” signing and dating it; can I use Acrobat Reader DC for writing this statement, date and signing on the bottom (I do have a neat signature image)?

b) What should I upload under Spouse OCI? My spouse hasn't got the Canadian citizenship yet, so my spouse is still an Indian Citizen (we applied for Canadian citizenship separately via new online portal, and mine got processed quickly).

P.S. I hope I don't need to upload any employer letter as answered previously in this forum for Toronto jurisdiction.

Last edited:

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
I recently got my Canadian Citizenship and passport. Now I am preparing documents to apply for my OCI (+ Surrender my Indian Passport together). Please help me with below queries.

a) Since all copies need to be Self-Attested before uploading, by writing “This is a true copy of the original,” signing and dating it; can I use Acrobat Reader DC for writing this statement, date and signing on the bottom (I do have a neat signature image)?

b) What should I upload under Spouse OCI? My spouse hasn't got the Canadian citizenship yet, so my spouse is still an Indian Citizen (we applied for Canadian citizenship separately via new online portal, and mine got processed quickly).

P.S. I hope I don't need to upload any employer letter as answered previously in this forum for Toronto jurisdiction.
a) I suppose you can, yes.

b) You can leave it blank if that field doesn't apply to you.

PS: Nope, employment letter isn't required for Toronto jurisdiction AFAIK.

Sep 28, 2018
OCI - Minor (Citizen By Birth)
Mode: Walk-in Application
05-Jul-21: Submitted at BLS Toronto
06-Jul-21: BLS Tracking - underprocess
11-Jul-21: Processing at Consulate General
12-Jul-21: Under process at ociservices.gov.in
14-Jul-21: BLS Tracking - Dispatched via Courie
04-Aug-21: Document Printing Status: Processed
05-Aug-21: Dispatched From MEA(OCI) New Delhi
05-Aug-21: Document Received At Toronto
05-Aug-21: Counter Delivery to BLS Centre after OCI stamping
09-Aug-21: OCI dropped off at Home by Purolator.

Best of Luck to all those waiting!

snehagupta12us

Star Member
Mar 9, 2012
Winnipeg-Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Application reached CIO Sept 24, 2012
Nomination.....
24 Aug 2012
AOR Received.
15 Nov 2012
Med's Request
19-Nov-2012
Med's Done....
23-Nov-2012
Passport Req..
DM: 31-July-2013 PPR: 01-Aug-2013
I called BLS and they confirmed that that there is no need for Apostille/ authentication of canada issued documents. So I am applying with just self attesting the documents. Hope that helps.
Thanks for replying. Did you send out your application yet? I tried sending an email to CGI and they said attestation from CGI is required. Not sure what are other doing for this requirement. Can someone please advise on this requirement?

snehagupta12us

Star Member
Mar 9, 2012
Winnipeg-Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Application reached CIO Sept 24, 2012
Nomination.....
24 Aug 2012
AOR Received.
15 Nov 2012
Med's Request
19-Nov-2012
Med's Done....
23-Nov-2012
Passport Req..
DM: 31-July-2013 PPR: 01-Aug-2013
I called BLS and they confirmed that that there is no need for Apostille/ authentication of canada issued documents. So I am applying with just self attesting the documents. Hope that helps.
BLS gave different answer to me. They said that i need to get my marriage certificate authorized from ODS and get approval from CGI over email that they will accept OCI application with attestation.

Cecoct2017

Oct 13, 2017

I was told just signature is enough.. You dont have to write true copy of the original..

savarana

Star Member
Jul 30, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Anyone know if BLS Brampton is truly open on Saturdays for OCI pickup? The website says so, but Google says otherwise.

sg02

Star Member
Jan 7, 2017

||Long post alert||

I called BLS and got some clarification on the application, here's my experience of submitting my application for OCI+Surrender application via Purolator :
  1. Documents submitted for Passport Surrender (Toronto Jurisdiction):
    • Checklist (signed on both pages)
    • Surrender application completed online
      • Pasted one 2"x2" photo
      • Signed on both pages
    • One extra 2"x2" photo (to be on safer side)
    • Original Indian Passport
    • Copy of Indian Passport (First and Last Page)
    • Copy of Canadian Passport (Bio Page)
    • Copy of Citizenship Certificate (Front Page)
    • Copy of D/L (Address proof)
    • Copy of CoPR
    • $129.40 Bank Draft addressed to BLS International Services Inc.
  2. Documents submitted for OCI (Toronto Jurisdiction):
    • Checklist (signed on all pages)
    • OCI Application completed online
      • Relationship with Root Indian -> SELF
      • Uploaded these documents online:
        • Copy of Previous Indian passport
        • Copy of Current Canadian passport
        • Copy of CoPR (Indian Visa)
        • Copy of Marriage Certificate
    • One 2"x2" photo
    • Copy of CoPR (landing document)
    • Copy of Spouse Documents (still Indian):
      • Copy of Current Indian Passport
      • Copy of PR Card (status in Canada)
      • Copy of CoPR (Landing document)
    • Bank Drafts:
      • $345 addressed to Consulate General of India, Toronto
      • $7.40 addressed to BLS International Services Inc.
    • Copy of BLS Order Confirmation (Courier Fees)
Notes:
  1. I had self-attested all copies:
    • First added the line ("This is a true copy of the original") and date on the bottom of all documents via Acrobat Reader DC.
    • Printed all documents (grayscale) and signed the physical documents for including in respective file folders (one each for 'OCI' and 'Passport Surrender' applications).
    • For uploading the 4 documents with OCI application, I added my signature via Acrobat Reader DC rather than scanning the documents again (I have a neat scanned copy of my signature for such purposes).
  2. Although I applied OCI as Self (not on the basis of Spouse or Parents), but BLS support told me that I will still need to provide these:
    • Copy of Marriage Certificate (Upload + Physical)
    • Copy of Spouse Documents (Physical)
  3. Photos:
    • The photos don't need to be stamped (like Canadian PR/Passport photos). Just need to be neat and recent as per guidelines.
    • I took a clean Photo myself and created 2"x2" image. Actually created a 4"x 6" Photo by added six of these 2"x2" images.
    • You can print such 4"x6" photos for cheap (10-40 cents from Walmart, Staples, SDM). Cut them into six of 2"x2" images.
  4. I couldn't get any appointment for BLS, Toronto (very close to my place) and I understand the $90 Courier fees (1 pickup + 2 drop-offs) could have been optimized as suggested by others, but apparently these mail-in applications are processed in BLS, Brampton. It made more sense for me to go with this option rather than picking up from BLS, Brampton.
  5. I spoke to two BLS support persons, I have already mentioned the crux above but here are some points related to Courier Fees and Bank Drafts:
    • First support person mentioned:
      • $105 courier fees (I didn't pay for this order)
      • 3 bank drafts (One for Surrender and two for OCI). I asked if I could club the BLS drafts and he said 'NO'.
    • Second support person mentioned:
      • $90 courier fees (I paid for this order)
      • Two drafts instead of three i.e. BLS drafts can be clubbed to $136.40
    • I ended up choosing the 3 bank drafts option as its free for my bank account. But most importantly I wanted to create two separate file folders.
  6. Purolator driver came with the envelope and it was big enough to fit both of the file folders. My application is delivered to BLS, Brampton and I will share the future timeline.
Yes, the instructions are complex and makes it difficult/annoying to apply but we all have to go through it. Mark my words that once everything is submitted, you will definitely feel relieved and deserve a pat on your back :)

Special thanks to @sydcarton and @rajkamalmohanram

Last edited:

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
||Long post alert||

I called BLS and got some clarification on the application, here's my experience of submitting my application for OCI+Surrender application via Purolator :
  1. Documents submitted for Passport Surrender (Toronto Jurisdiction):
    • Checklist (signed on both pages)
    • Surrender application completed online
      • Pasted one 2"x2" photo
      • Signed on both pages
    • One extra 2"x2" photo
    • Original Indian Passport
    • Copy of CoPR
    • $129.40 Bank Draft addressed to BLS International Services Inc.
  2. Documents submitted for OCI (Toronto Jurisdiction):
    • Checklist (signed on all pages)
    • OCI Application completed online
      • Relationship with Root Indian -> SELF
      • Uploaded these documents online:
        • Copy of Previous Indian passport
        • Copy of Current Canadian passport
        • Copy of CoPR (Indian Visa)
    • One 2"x2" photo
    • Copy of CoPR (landing document)
    • Copy of Spouse Documents (still Indian):
      • Copy of Current Indian Passport
      • Copy of PR Card (status in Canada)
      • Copy of CoPR (Landing document)
    • Bank Drafts:
      • $345 addressed to Consulate General of India, Toronto
      • $7.40 addressed to BLS International Services Inc.
    • Copy of BLS Order Confirmation (Courier Fees)
Notes:
  1. I had self-attested all copies:
    • First added the line ("This is a true copy of the original") and date on the bottom of all documents via Acrobat Reader DC.
    • Printed all documents (grayscale) and signed the physical documents for including in respective file folders (one each for 'OCI' and 'Passport Surrender' applications).
    • For uploading the 4 documents with OCI application, I added my signature via Acrobat Reader DC rather than scanning the documents again (I have a neat scanned copy of my signature for such purposes).
  2. Although I applied OCI as Self (not on the basis of Spouse or Parents), but BLS support told me that I will still need to provide these:
    • Copy of Marriage Certificate (Upload + Physical)
    • Copy of Spouse Documents (Physical)
  3. I couldn't get any appointment for BLS, Toronto (very close to my place) and I understand the $90 Courier fees (1 pickup + 2 drop-offs) could have been optimized as suggested by others, but apparently these mail-in applications are processed in BLS, Brampton. It made more sense for me to go with this option rather than picking up from BLS, Brampton.
  4. I spoke to two BLS support persons, I have already mentioned the crux above but here are some points related to Courier Fees and Bank Drafts:
    • First support person mentioned:
      • $105 courier fees (I didn't pay for this order)
      • 3 bank drafts (One for Surrender and two for OCI). I asked if I could club the BLS drafts and he said 'NO'.
    • Second support person mentioned:
      • $90 courier fees (I paid for this order)
      • Two drafts instead of three i.e. BLS drafts can be clubbed to $136.40
    • I ended up choosing the 3 bank drafts option as its free for my bank account. But most importantly I wanted to create two separate file folders.
  5. Purolator driver came with the envelope and it was big enough to fit both of the file folders. My application is delivered to BLS, Brampton and I will share the future timeline.
Yes, the instructions are complex and makes it difficult/annoying to apply but we all have to go through it. Mark my words that once everything is submitted, you will definitely feel relieved and deserve a pat on your back :)

Special thanks to @sydcarton and @rajkamalmohanram
Awesome, thanks for making such a detailed post. Appreciate it. This is very useful.

Curious about the "One extra 2"x2" photo" you submitted for your Surrender application though. Did they ask you to submit an extra copy or you provided them with one just to be safe?

sg02

Star Member
Jan 7, 2017
Awesome, thanks for making such a detailed post. Appreciate it. This is very useful.

Curious about the "One extra 2"x2" photo" you submitted for your Surrender application though. Did they ask you to submit an extra copy or you provided them with one just to be safe?
Just updated the notes about Photos. I added an extra one to be on safer side as I had plenty of them.
  • The photos don't need to be stamped (like Canadian PR/Passport photos). Just need to be neat and recent as per guidelines.
  • I took a clean Photo myself and created 2"x2" image. Actually created a 4"x 6" Photo by added six of these 2"x2" images.
  • You can print such 4"x6" photos for cheap (10-40 cents from Walmart, Staples, SDM). Cut them into six of 2"x2" images.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Just updated the notes about Photos. I added an extra one to be on safer side as I had plenty of them.
ok Thanks. I already had my passport photos (Canada passport) and OCI + Surrender photos made last month. I have only 2 photos in total (1 for OCI and 1 for Surrender), that's why I asked.

Good luck, please keep us posted on the progress of your application.

All the best!

Reactions: sg02

savarana

Star Member
Jul 30, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Anyone know if BLS Brampton is truly open on Saturdays for OCI pickup? The website says so, but Google says otherwise.
Was able to reach their call center person. Not open on Saturdays.

Went and picked up our OCIs and surrendered passports. Our super long journey is finally complete. Whew.

Quick question, our OCI has our Canadian passport number in them. What happens when we renew our Canadian ppt and then the number in the OCI is no longer correct? Does that mean we have to carry and keep our old Canadian ppts when we travel?

Reactions: rajkamalmohanram

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Was able to reach their call center person. Not open on Saturdays.

Went and picked up our OCIs and surrendered passports. Our super long journey is finally complete. Whew.

Quick question, our OCI has our Canadian passport number in them. What happens when we renew our Canadian ppt and then the number in the OCI is no longer correct? Does that mean we have to carry and keep our old Canadian ppts when we travel?
I would recommend the carrying OCI + the current Canadian passport + the old Canadian passport (whose number is printed in the OCI booklet) if you are traveling to India after you renew your Canadian passport. But you still got about 10 years to worry about that :)

Reactions: savarana