31- May - Date of Acknowledgement per OCI
21-June - Document Printing Status as Processed
21-June- Dispatched from MEA (OCI)
21-June - Documents Received at Toronto
22-June - Counter Delivery to BLS Centre
23-June - Passport ready For Dispatch after OCI stamping

rvche

Jul 19, 2016
Hi everyone, detailing my experience of submitting my application for surrender and OCI together via post, for anyone who may find it helpful.
  1. I called BLS Toronto (416-307-2237) multiple times till I finally got through. I had my credit card on hand, and the BLS rep sent me three links to pay for a Purolator service: a) Pick-up of documents b) Return of cancelled passport and surrender certificate c) Return of OCI. Each service costs $30, so $90 in total for delivery and pickup. You will receive a shipping label to print and attach to the Purolator envelope.

2. Make sure to check what day/time the Purolator pickup will be and make sure to ask for an envelope.

3. Documents for surrender I was asked to include:
    1. Surrender application form completed online,
    2. 1 photo,
    3. Original Indian passport and photocopy,
    4. Canadian passport photocopy,
    5. Photocopy of citizenship certificate,
    6. Address proof,
    7. Photocopy of COPR.
      All photocopies have to be self attested ("This is a true copy of the original"), signed, and dated.
    8. Fees for surrender: $250.4 (addressed to BLS International Services Inc.)
  4. Documents for OCI I was asked to include:
    1. OCI application form completed online,
    2. 1 photo,
    3. Original Indian passport and photocopy,
    4. Canadian passport photocopy,
    5. Photocopy of citizenship certificate,
    6. Address proof,
    7. Photocopy of COPR,
    8. One written declaration stating I am single and have never married addressed to the consulate general of India.
      All photocopies have to be self attested ("This is a true copy of the original"), signed, and dated.
    9. Fees for OCI: $425 (addressed to The Consulate General of India - Toronto) AND $7.4 (addressed to BLS International Services Inc.)
  5. The documents I uploaded for my OCI application included self-attested copies of: My Indian passport, my Canadian passport, and my COPR.
    I also included the checklists for both the OCI and Surrender applications as well.

Hope this helps! Good luck!
Hi is this fee still right? BLS guys mentioned today fee for OCI as $345 and the Surrender is $129.40, could you confirm

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hi is this fee still right? BLS guys mentioned today fee for OCI as $345 and the Surrender is $129.40, could you confirm
Yes. It is important to verify on the BLS website because it might change.

OCI FEES (for Toronto and Ottawa Jurisdictions)

https://www.blsindia-canada.com/ocihome.php

Sr NoService TypeAmount payable to CGI - Toronto/ HCI- OttawaAmount payable to BLS International Services Canda Inc.
Fees (CAD$)Fees (CAD$)
1OCI Card$341+ Consular Surcharge: $4 Total: $345Processing Fee: $7.4+ Courier fee
2Re-issuance of OCI card (due to change of Personal particular/passport)$31+ Consular Surcharge: $4 Total: $35Processing Fee: $7.4+ Courier fee
3Issue of duplicate OCI card in case of Loss/Damage of OCI documents$124+ Consular Surcharge: $4 Total: $128Processing Fee: $7.4+ Courier fee
4Fee for OCI in lieu of PIO cards$124+ Consular Surcharge: $4 Total: $128Processing Fee: $7.4+ Courier fee

SURRENDER FEES

https://www.blsindia-canada.com/renunciation_ppt.php

SERVICE
FEES IN CAD$
Surrender FeeConsular FeeBLS Service FeeTotal Fee
Indian citizens acquiring any foreign citizenship before 31 May, 2010
31​
3​
7.4​
41.40​
Indian citizens acquiring any foreign citizenship after 1 June, 2010
119​
3​
7.4​
129.40​

nagarjun rao

Star Member
May 4, 2012
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Doc's Request.
03-17-2017
AOR Received.
08-01-2017
Med's Request
12-29-2016
Med's Done....
04-03-2017
Passport Req..
04-04-2017
congrats on getting the oci done, whats the processing timeline now? did you submit both india passport surrender and oci together?
Yes, I submitted them together. Processing times varies from case to case depending on the jurisdiction, application type (postal or walkin) and applicant profile. Mine was Vancouver and was a walkin application. I received my Citizenship Renunciation certificate with cancelled passport in 2 weeks and OCI in 3 and half weeks from walkin day (day of application May 26).
Note: I was told by BLS agent at the time of application that I might recieveCitizenship renunciation certificate in 2 months since that was the latest trend that they are noticing. However in my case I got lucky.

vvarma

Jul 18, 2015
Hey guys, I've got a question. It would be great if someone can help.

If the address on the Indian passport is no longer the address of residence in India (family no longer lives there), how do we go about applying for OCI? Does the "Indian Address" mentioned in the passport have to be the same as the current address in India that we mention in the OCI application form?

Going to India just for renewal of passport to reflect the current residential address in India and then applying for OCI sounds beyond ridiculous.

Thank you.
Hi Raj - I was in a similar situation - but for a different document. But it might be a similar process.
Earlier this year, I had successfully applied for the PCC from CGI Vancouver (via BLS). My address on my current passport is different as compared to my current Indian address, both being in different states. And to make matter worse, the ex address now has different occupants, and my current address is locked. However, BLS confirmed several times that Aadhar card showing the current address would be fine and to use that address in the application form.

Reactions: rajkamalmohanram

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hi Raj - I was in a similar situation - but for a different document. But it might be a similar process.
Earlier this year, I had successfully applied for the PCC from CGI Vancouver (via BLS). My address on my current passport is different as compared to my current Indian address, both being in different states. And to make matter worse, the ex address now has different occupants, and my current address is locked. However, BLS confirmed several times that Aadhar card showing the current address would be fine and to use that address in the application form.
Thanks. I didn't get a response to the post above so I checked the website for OCI registration. They aren't asking for an Indian address so we should be good, I think.

Reactions: vvarma

shine1429

Apr 4, 2019
Our OCI Status:-

18 - May - Application Date as per BLS website
31- May - Date of Acknowledgement per OCI
21-June - Document Printing Status as Processed
21-June- Dispatched from MEA (OCI)
21-June - Documents Received at Toronto
22-June - Counter Delivery to BLS Centre
23-June - Passport ready For Dispatch after OCI stamping
25th June - Received OCI card finally.

Ani_Canada

Jun 22, 2017
Hi ,
I have a question regarding OCI application.
In OCI application , we need to add spouse documents in our application and vice versa.
Also , we need to write that it is true copy of original and sign it .
So , In my application , for spouse documents who will sign ..me or my spouse ?
Can anybody confirm ?

nagarjun rao

Star Member
May 4, 2012
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Doc's Request.
03-17-2017
AOR Received.
08-01-2017
Med's Request
12-29-2016
Med's Done....
04-03-2017
Passport Req..
04-04-2017
Hi ,
I have a question regarding OCI application.
In OCI application , we need to add spouse documents in our application and vice versa.
Also , we need to write that it is true copy of original and sign it .
So , In my application , for spouse documents who will sign ..me or my spouse ?
Can anybody confirm ?
For my application, my spouse attested her documents. I received my OCI last week.

Ani_Canada

Jun 22, 2017
For my application, my spouse attested her documents. I received my OCI last week.
Thanks for the confirmation and congrats for OCI.. :)

Between what's your timeline for OCI ?

Also for the photograph it says :

Photograph to be affixed on the application should be a square shape of size not less than 51*51mm
(with 80% coverage of face). It should have plain light color background (not white) without the border
with front view of person's head and shoulders showing the full face in middle of the photograph. It
should not be stapled and not have any signature. Does picture with white background works ?

Last edited:

chanakyashah

May 3, 2017
Can someone help me with a timeline for a Minor’s OCI application. Is it the same timeline as for adults?

I applied on the 21st June, when do you think is the most likely to receive it?

Thanks!

kingmourya

Mar 28, 2014
Applying for fresh OCI for minors at HCI Ottawa. My kids are US citizens. I have their original birth certificates.
Is it a must to get birth certificate attested by US consulate in Canada? There are no notary appointments available at the US consulate until end of August!
Update (hope it will help people in similar boat)....

Yes, I was able to get the apostilled copies.. Had to get it from the particular state (INDIANA) where my kids were born.. Filled out the State request form, attached original birth certificates, and return paid Fedex envelope and shipped via Fedex.. (US consulate and Federal agency were not able to provide) ... took about 2 weeks for entire process..

However, I didn't want to wait for the apostilled documents to come.... .Took chances and sent OCI application with original birth certificate and self attested copy to BLS/HCI Ottawa. ... (was gonna send apostille only if they ask..)
They accepted the documents w/o asking for apostilled copies...

All the best...

SOS: Business Services Division: Authentications: Apostilles & Certifications

Reactions: pavan55

littleDog

Mar 25, 2021
Hello

i have a question.

i made a typo while filling my OCI application, and i realized while reviewing after taking print outs. Can i generate the new application again by filling

dipens

Star Member
Feb 8, 2016
Does anyone know what is the current process for passport surrender and OCI? Can I go to the Toronto location for everything? Or is it everything online/mail in?

If online, can I do a surrender and OCI application at the same time? If somebody can give a brief overview, that'd be great.