+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

rohit04

Jun 18, 2014
My timeline-
Applied 12th Nov both surrender and OCI together.
Got the original documents back - 19th nov.
Acknowledgement for OCI - 27th Nov
Processed - 17th Dec
Dispatched from Delhi - 17th Dec
Received in Toronto - 17th Dec
Hello,

How many days after 17th Dec did you actually receive the OCI card at home?
I got the same status change today and I have a flight to India on 25th.
Please let me know.

Thanks
Rohit

rohit04

Jun 18, 2014
Same status here. I checked in the evening and status changed to
Original documents Delivered by Hand
(Passport ready For Dispatch after OCI stamping).

Now the question is whether I have to collect my OCI card or it will be mailed to me by BLS. I will have to confirm it tomorrow.
Hi Mehul,

Hope you're doing well. My status changed to Processed this morning. Received in Toronto also shows as today's date.
I have a few questions, if you can answer it'll be great.

Did you go to the BLS office or they sent it to your home?
Did you submit your passport for OCI stamping? I thought they'll just dispatch the OCI card at home.
How many days after this status change did you receive it?

Regards,
Rohit

JamesBond007

Star Member
Dec 9, 2014
Does anyone know
How long does it usually take to get acknowledgment for OCI?

I submitted my documents on 28th December. Will I get an email for acknowledgment?

BLS Status says its processing at Consulate General but I am not able to check status on OCI website? Will my File reference number for checking status on OCI website come in the email or is it the OCIXXXXXXX number on my BLS receipt?
check your OCI status here.
https://ociservices.gov.in/statusEnqury

enter your canadian passport no
and Online Registration No: CANxxxxxxxxxxx

Reactions: Nisha91

lilcysel

Apr 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-May-2013
Doc's Request.
26-Sep-2013
Nomination.....
01-Oct-2013
AOR Received.
09-Dec-2013
IELTS Request
CELPIP results received 20-Aug-2013
File Transfer...
RPRF request 22-Apr-2014
Med's Request
09-Dec-2013
Med's Done....
20-Dec-2013
Interview........
In Process Apr 30, 2014( It changed on May 3)
Passport Req..
19-June-2014
VISA ISSUED...
27-June-2014
LANDED..........
August 18, 2014
Applying from Saskatchewan(Postal):
My timeline-
Applied 23rd Nov both surrender and OCI together.
Got the original documents back - Dec 8th. Little delay because I had to send a document again.
This is what I saw today when i checked the status online
Acknowledgement for OCI - Dec 5
Registration Status at Mission: VANCOUVER
Processed - Dec 28
Dispatched from Delhi - Dec 31
Received in Vancouver - Jan 10

amitdi

Dec 19, 2013
Is it 3 years or 3 months. I think it is only 3 months. Otherwise there will be penalty.
3 months is the grace period when you can use Indian passport to travel without penalty.
3 years is the time you have to surrender. If you surrender (even without use) after 3 years, there is penalty.
If you use after 3 months, there is penalty per use. Its $300+ per use.

Last edited:
Reactions: JamesBond007

JamesBond007

Star Member
Dec 9, 2014
I get "No Records Found"
On BLS Status it says " Original Document ready to dispatch"
it will take few days as BLS did not dispatched documents yet. Documents should reach Vancouver/Toronto and CGI should start process, then your status start appear on the website.

wolfpack27616

Apr 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hey guys- I will be going to submit Passport surrender and OCI applications for me and my wife on Monday at BLS Brampton. I had a few questions-

1. Anybody knows if it's possible for me to submit my application as well as my wife's application (I plan to take an Authorization letter from her). I remember reading in this thread that it is possible, while the call centre agent said it is not. I thought I would check out here if anybody had any personal experience at BLS Brampton doing this?

2. For OCI- the copies to be uploaded online, do they have to be the scanned copies of the docs, or should I scan self-attested photocopies of the docs and then upload that?

3. I can't seem to remember where I read this- but should i merge all the pdf of the docs and upload as 1 pdf?

Thanks in advance!

KRP

Jan 13, 2012
Category........
FSW
LANDED..........
01/02/2011
For OCI what I understand reading many posts on the internet is that one cannot use the same photos used for the Canadian passport . I recently removed photos for passport and was planning to tell the photographer to make additional photos in the OCI photo specifications wearing the same attire. . Good I did not proceed.
Next many people get their applications rejected due to photo issues.
The best way I feel is to wear plain blue shirt over textured or patterned shirts.
https://www.in.ckgs.us/faq/oci/photo-and-signature-specifications/833/what-are-the-oci-photo-specifications-for-adults#833
I plan to use the services at BLS for photos though it could be a few dollars more.

wolfpack27616

Apr 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Just when I am ready with all the docs, and I am about to upload them- OCI registration is glitching out for me. I am getting a "system under maintenance" error message (Once i click on fresh application and type in the captcha)...Anybody else facing the same issue?

KRP

Jan 13, 2012
Category........
FSW
LANDED..........
01/02/2011
Just when I am ready with all the docs, and I am about to upload them- OCI registration is glitching out for me. I am getting a "system under maintenance" error message (Once i click on fresh application and type in the captcha)...Anybody else facing the same issue?
Maybe you are trying to upload your photo not taken in a Blue shirt I guess...………….

wolfpack27616

Apr 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Maybe you are trying to upload your photo not taken in a Blue shirt I guess...………….
would be happy if i could get access to upload my photo- I would wear unicorn blue if the site works for me.

Update- website works now and I submitted my online application. Will be going tomorrow or Tuesday to BLS

Last edited:

wolfpack27616

Apr 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Update 2: Submitted our Passport Surrender/ OCI applications (my wife's and mine) at BLS today. It went well without any hitches. I took an authorization letter from my wife to submit her application on her behalf. And now the wait to get back the originals and the OCI

KRP

Jan 13, 2012
Category........
FSW
LANDED..........
01/02/2011
What a procedure?
  • For an applicant who is 20 years of age or younger, OCI documents must be re-issued each time a new passport is issued.
  • For an applicant who is 50 years of age or older, OCI documents must be re-issued once after the issuance of a new passport. (If the OCI card is issued for the first time after the age of 50 years, then there is no need for re-issuance of OCI.)
  • For an applicant who is 21 to 49 years of age, there is no need to re-issue OCI documents each time a new passport is issued. However, if the applicant desires, he/she can request that the OCI documents be re-issued so that the OCI documents reflect the correct passport number.
  • In case there is a change in personal particulars
  • In case of loss/damage of passport and/or OCI booklet
  • For correcting personal particulars entered wrongly while submitting online applications e.g. name, father’s name, date of birth, etc.
  • In case of change of address/occupation