+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

rdecartus

Star Member
Aug 29, 2012
I had one new OCI application and another PIO to OCI application. Both have the same timeline as below.

Application submitted: 10-APR-2017 @ Vancouver
Date Of Acknowledgment : 13-APR-2017
Registration Status at Mission :VANCOUVER
Documents Printing Status PROCESSED : 09-MAY-2017
Dispatched From MEA (OCI ) NEW DELHI: On 11-MAY-2017
Document received @ VANCOUVER : 16-MAY-2017
Document arrived @ home by FedEx :19-MAY-2017

rdecartus

Star Member
Aug 29, 2012
Do we get old PIO card back when converted to OCI? I got my package from fedex today. There is OCI but not my old PIO.

Vizzynuts

Star Member
Sep 27, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Doc's Request.
May 30, 2016 - more wedding pictures and cohab info
AOR Received.
June 17, 2015
IELTS Request
None
File Transfer...
August 24, 2015
Med's Request
Remed request - August 3, 2016
Med's Done....
Done and sent with application
Passport Req..
Aug 22, 2016
VISA ISSUED...
Sept 9, 2016
LANDED..........
Sept 10, 2016
Vizzy nuts thanks for the update. Just curious, did you have to submit your Canadian passport for the U-sticker ? do they mail you the OCI card with signature required and tracking or is it just dumped on the regular mail box ?
Hi Dell,

I didnt have to submit my Canadian passport.

They FedEx the OCI card and a signature is a must.

rdnsb

Star Member
Apr 21, 2015
Hi All,

I am helping my friend in applying OCI for himself and his family (wife and daughter) @toronto. so this question is on behalf of him.

At first he started to fill PART A for himself and uploaded photo and signature.
He did the same for his wife and daughter.

So PART A has been submitted for 3.

when he started to fill PART B... he was confused. Here I came into picture as he asked me for help.

we read that PART A is individual and PART B is for Family.... but there is nothing like to fill in details of his wife and daughter in PART B....

Is PART B also should be submitted individually?
He also says that he didnt get the option to choose the application type either as an individual applicant or family group while filling up PART A.

what is the exact process?

thanks in advance!

Last edited:

logic_bomb

Nov 3, 2015
I applied OCI for my 1 month old boy today thanks for all info gathered here , my 5 cents:

1) Dont try hard to get infant finger prints , whatsoever print you can obtain from those tiny fingers is fine
2) Documents upload size is actually 1000KB (BLSI info says its 500 K but its 1000K ) refer to image captured from actual upload site

Me and My wife are Indian Nationals and child is Canadian we needed to submit following :

1) Our passports
2) Landing Records (Work permits in our case)
3)Birth Certificate (Long Form)
4)Address Proof in Canada (DL)
5) 280$ Money order
6) 1 Copies of all above + Child Passport , these needs to be self attested (Just write "This is true copy of original " and sign bellow , also in case of minor both parents need to sign) , also note Passport copies should include Visa and Entry stamps.

I took marriage certificate with me , but I think my wife's name was already endorsed on my passport ,so it was not needed.
They checked my son`s passport and returned it , they kept all originals except DL and told me I will get them back in 3 weeks...

I hope this helps , I will update timeline later

Last edited:

andrew7007

Jun 2, 2015
Edmonton
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Guys do we necessarily need to upload the photos or can we affix it on the forms and submit it at bls. There is an option to skip uploading of the photos. I cant downsize the photos to 30 kb. Help appreciated.

logic_bomb

Nov 3, 2015
Guys do we necessarily need to upload the photos or can we affix it on the forms and submit it at bls. There is an option to skip uploading of the photos. I cant downsize the photos to 30 kb. Help appreciated.
I dont know about skiping photo upload but size limit is 200kb not 30, and we need to affix one on form

Weltmeister

Star Member
Apr 16, 2017
Hello Everyone,

I have a question with regards to how long does it take for the Indian passport surrender process? and then after that how long for the OCI process? I am from Toronto.

Thanks.

karianna

Jun 12, 2015
Hello Everyone,

I have a question with regards to how long does it take for the Indian passport surrender process? and then after that how long for the OCI process? I am from Toronto.

Thanks.
You can apply for both at the same time. Surrender certificate takes 2-3 weeks and OCI 6-8 weeks normally...

HamiltonApplicant

Apr 3, 2017
Hamilton
Visa Office......
Munich, Germany
App. Filed.......
Jan 2007
Med's Request
Dec 2009
Med's Done....
Jan 2010
Passport Req..
Apr 2010
VISA ISSUED...
May 2010
LANDED..........
25-11-2010
I applied OCI for my 1 month old boy today thanks for all info gathered here , my 5 cents:

5) 280$ Money order

I hope this helps , I will update timeline later
I am planning to apply for OCI soon, do they accept cash? If not, how can we get money orders?

Weltmeister

Star Member
Apr 16, 2017
You can apply for both at the same time. Surrender certificate takes 2-3 weeks and OCI 6-8 weeks normally...
Hello Karianna, i happened to go to the BLS website and over there it states - Production of Surrender Certificate endorsement is essential while applying for Indian visa, PIO/OCI card or any other miscellaneous consular services, in case Canadian citizenship was acquired on or after 1 June, 2010.

This would mean i cannot apply for both at the same time. Is the information on website out dated?

karianna

Jun 12, 2015
Hello Karianna, i happened to go to the BLS website and over there it states - Production of Surrender Certificate endorsement is essential while applying for Indian visa, PIO/OCI card or any other miscellaneous consular services, in case Canadian citizenship was acquired on or after 1 June, 2010.

This would mean i cannot apply for both at the same time. Is the information on website out dated?
I got both processed at the same time at BLS office on Lawrence ave & victoria park. They just printed an extra copy of the surrender certificate receipt/challan and attached it to the OCI app and wrote 'applied' on the OCI checklist that i submitted. Please call them and confirm but I dont think anything has changed since the time I applied late last year...

Reactions: Weltmeister

Weltmeister

Star Member
Apr 16, 2017
I got both processed at the same time at BLS office on Lawrence ave & victoria park. They just printed an extra copy of the surrender certificate receipt/challan and attached it to the OCI app and wrote 'applied' on the OCI checklist that i submitted. Please call them and confirm but I dont think anything has changed since the time I applied late last year...
Thank you very much for your reply Karianna.