Mar 6, 2014
Visa Office......
Scarborough, Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 2015 (Re-applied)
Exports said:
FOR REDUCING THE SIZE OF THE PICTURES FOR UPLOADING FOR OCI, THIS LINK COULD BE NECESSARY THEN YOU CAN DOWNLOAD AND INSERT THE JPEG IN WORD AND CHANGE TO PDF. ( THEY NEED THE PICS TO BE LESS THAN 30 KB AND DOCS LESS THAN 500 KB WHICH IS NOT POSSIBLE IF DIRECTLY CONVERTING TO JPEG AND THEN IN PDF THRU SCANNER)

http://bestrix.blogspot.com/2013/05/how-to-reduce-photo-size-less-than-20.html

One can apply for " surrender " and " OCI " same time also. The agent can accept surrender receipt as proof to apply for OCI. Before that you have to UPLOAD ALL THE DOCS AND TAKE SCREEN SHOT. I GUESS YOU HAVE TO BE LUCKY IF THE AGENT SERVING YOU IS GOOD AS MOST OF THE AGENTS BEHAVE AS TYPICAL INDIAN BABUS!

ORIGINALS DOCS SUCH AS INDIAN PASSPORT, CITIZENSHIP CERTIFICATE, CANADIAN LANDING CERTIFICATE, SURRENDER CERTIFICATE ( IF ALREADY ACQUIRED ), MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE IF NO SPOUSE NAME IS NOT MENTIONED HAVE TO BE SUBMITTED AND ARE NECESSARY.

IN ADDITION TO THIS, SPOUSE LANDING CERTIFICATE WITH INDIAN PASSPORT WHICH HAS LANDING VISA IS NECESSARY. ( THIS IS BECAUSE CONSULATE WANTS TO CHECK IF ANY OF THE FAMILY MEMBER IS ON REFUGEE STATUS OR NOT)

TAKE ALL RELATED ORIGINAL DOCUMENTS PLUS COPIES SO THAT THE APPLICANT DOESN'T NEED TO COME BACK.

ALL DOCS SUCH AS PP COPY SPOUSE + APPLICANT IN PDF HAS TO BE UPLOADED.

DON'T FORGET TO TAKE THE SCREENSHOT WHICH IS NECESSARY WITHOUT WHICH THE AGENTS DON'T ACCEPT AT ALL.
Thanks for sharing, especially the URL for reducing the document size that's great help to upload documents as I have to do that for 3 of my family members.

Also, for re-capping the documents required for "Surrender" of Indian Passport and applying for OCI.

Appreciate for helpful posting. ;D ;D ;D

Exports

Star Member
Aug 10, 2015
If u are doing OCI for kids, don't forget the relationship certificate such as birth certificate which they will take in original PLUS THE SELF ATTESTED COPY. I know it seems useless Becoz parents name already in the passporT.
If only spouse applying ; still Original pp of the husband showing landing stamp and landing copy. ( they return within 2 weeks)

The clerks will take the ORIGINAL Indian passport which is with landing stamp ( even if expired ) plus valid copy of all family members + the original PP of the sponsor that is father of family class immigrant.

Only original they wont take is the Canadian passport but will verify the original.

FILL SURRENDER FORM AND UPLOAD DOCS- fees paid at BLS
Then fill OCI form and take draft of fees for each.

Hopefully u can finish all in one go without going for the second time. (I Hv seen many making multiple visits as the clerks tend to ask some or the other doc which is missing)

Exports

Star Member
Aug 10, 2015
And if you have started filling the application before 31st DEC 15 and trying to submit in 2016, that is not valid.. for 2016 you need to fill fresh application as it generates new ref. number.

boltz

Jul 30, 2009
Exports said:
And if you have started filling the application before 31st DEC 15 and trying to submit in 2016, that is not valid.. for 2016 you need to fill fresh application as it generates new ref. number.
This is awful... What kind of restriction could that be?

PolarSpring

Dec 11, 2015
Can anyone tell me, how long will it take to get a Canadian PP under normal circumstances?
Like everyone is applying for OCI, so logically everyone should be able to answer .....
My point - Is it worth applying for CAD 50 or 20 expedited service?
Regards

boltz

Jul 30, 2009
PolarSpring said:
Can anyone tell me, how long will it take to get a Canadian PP under normal circumstances?
Like everyone is applying for OCI, so logically everyone should be able to answer .....
Regards
10 business days is what the PP office quotes... Most cases get it in 7-8 business days... If its not a busy week for them, you might get it in 5-7 business days...

Expedited service is based on you need , If you can't wait that long...

Canadiandesi2006

Champion Member
Mar 6, 2014
Visa Office......
Scarborough, Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 2015 (Re-applied)
PolarSpring said:
Regards
I agree with Boltz's input, once a completed application is submitted, its takes less than 2 weeks to get Canadian Passport.

Consider personally going to any of the Service Canada offices, validate if its complete and accepted to get it soon. The passport service is quick and straight forward.

boltz

Jul 30, 2009
The OCI application online is mandating for applicant's image & signature image. This seems to be new.

I have a couple of Qs.

1) I didn't know this requirement (seems new), so I had already gotten the photos taken into hard copy from the photo studio. I've shelled out a lot of money for the full family on photos now.
Can I take a photo of the family @ home and upload it? Would they be using this online photo for OCI card, or can I submit the physical photo along with the application when submitting?
Or, can I scan the photo itself, and upload it? Would that be acceptable?

2) How do I get the applicant's signature for a minor? I don't have the minor's signature. Should I upload the thumb impression in place of signature for minor? What if the quality of the image is not good for the thumb impression?

Kindly advise. Thx.

Canadiandesi2006

Champion Member
Mar 6, 2014
Visa Office......
Scarborough, Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 2015 (Re-applied)
boltz said:
The OCI application online is mandating for applicant's image & signature image. This seems to be new.

I have a couple of Qs.

1) I didn't know this requirement (seems new), so I had already gotten the photos taken into hard copy from the photo studio. I've shelled out a lot of money for the full family on photos now.
Can I take a photo of the family @ home and upload it? Would they be using this online photo for OCI card, or can I submit the physical photo along with the application when submitting?
Or, can I scan the photo itself, and upload it? Would that be acceptable?

2) How do I get the applicant's signature for a minor? I don't have the minor's signature. Should I upload the thumb impression in place of signature for minor? What if the quality of the image is not good for the thumb impression?

Kindly advise. Thx.
I'm not sure if BLS accept those photo. May be they need clear & good quality photographs on studio grade paper for OCI records.

As I mentioned, Online, Call Center Agents & the BLS staff inside the offices, each one interprets the same rule differently. Looks like the entire system makes one confused & frustrated, to the extent two agents in the same office has two versions. :eek:

As far the signature on minor's applicant, I guess it need original landing certificates & passport of both the parents and may be a joint declaration to verify & return. Bottom line.....its test of patience, take easy & dont expect anything to be logical. ;D

Exports

Star Member
Aug 10, 2015
@ boltz For OCI PICTURE I know it's difficulty some are reluctant to give the soft copy and even if you get its costly. For family of 3 it may be real pain sometime. Don't waste ur time in takin the pic at home, it won't work.

If you are living in GTA or near Toronto; I can suggest cheap option. The Chinese lady will give the 2 pics plus soft copy for 5 dollars in ur pen drive. It's at the Chinese mall of the HSBC building 3rd floor. Take left and extreme left when u come out of the lift of the 3rd floor bldg. so for CANADA passport and oci for the whole family of 3 may be less than 40 dollars. Hope it may help someone.
It is the HSBC building.

4438 Sheppard Ave E #102, Toronto, ON M1S 1V2 ( Brimley and Shepard)

boltz

Jul 30, 2009
Exports said:
@ boltz For OCI PICTURE I know it's difficulty some are reluctant to give the soft copy and even if you get its costly. For family of 3 it may be real pain sometime. Don't waste ur time in takin the pic at home, it won't work.

If you are living in GTA or near Toronto; I can suggest cheap option. The Chinese lady will give the 2 pics plus soft copy for 5 dollars in ur pen drive. It's at the Chinese mall of the HSBC building 3rd floor. Take left and extreme left when u come out of the lift of the 3rd floor bldg. so for CANADA passport and oci for the whole family of 3 may be less than 40 dollars. Hope it may help someone.
It is the HSBC building.

4438 Sheppard Ave E #102, Toronto, ON M1S 1V2 ( Brimley and Shepard)
Thanks exports (I'm not in Toronto ???)...and thanks canadiandesi2006

This is whati'm planning to do -
1) scan the photos already taken - that's what the consulate would do when the appln is submitted with photo. And I'll upload the scanned photos

2) for adults, I'll scan signatures... For children I'll scan thumb impressions.

I hope this will work.

If ne one has applied for OCI recently for family (adults n children) , pls advice. Thx.

aks96

May 9, 2015
I had uploaded scanned images of the hard copy photos. There were no issues and the OCI process has been completed.

boltz

Jul 30, 2009
aks96 said:
I had uploaded scanned images of the hard copy photos. There were no issues and the OCI process has been completed.
Ask96, thanks...

Did you have to do children appln too? What did you do for signature? Did u scan thumb impression?

InEdm

Star Member
Nov 9, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-06-2010
AOR Received.
20-11-2010
File Transfer...
30-03-2011 Detroit
Med's Request
20-11-2010
Med's Done....
05-12-2010
Passport Req..
18-07-2011
VISA ISSUED...
Passport sent..
Exports said:
I don't think this is correct. I have finally submitted yesterday which has dates from 2015.

Nainarvet

Star Member
Feb 21, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Just want to confirm few points with those who've already applied for OCI:

i) I guess BLS would return all the originals within ~ 2-3 weeks from the time of submission. Am I correct?
ii) If above point is true and if I am willing to submit all the originals, do I still need to notarize any of the photocopies?
iii) Somebody mentioned earlier that they don't accept the Canadian passport alone as original. In that case, do we need to notarize the photocopy of current Canadian passport or would self-attesting work?

Many thanks in advance for taking your time to answer these questions.