+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

boltz

Jul 30, 2009
cprak0 said:
The Indian Passport surrender fee is $240+!!! Does it also apply for kids?! No mention of that
in the BLS or the Indian Consulate. Any idea?! Can't believe it will be a $1000 for family just to
surrender the already invalid Indian Passport!!!
It's more of a 'renounciation fee' than a 'passport' surrender fee.

Well, I'm not saying the fee is ok- it's certainly hefty, and hard to bear... But that's the way it is .... Like check out USA renunciation fee - that would be humongous...

boltz

Jul 30, 2009
Can ne one tell me - if I should submit 4 xerox copies of ex patch document (eg., PP, etc) - one each for a family member ( family of 4 - self, spouse, 2 children) for OCI appln?

The checklist asks for spouse PP, parents PP for children.

Or if I'm submitting all 4 applns together, 1 copy of my PP will suffice together?

Thx.

cprak0

May 25, 2010
Ottawa
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
21-05-2011
boltz said:
It's more of a 'renounciation fee' than a 'passport' surrender fee.

Well, I'm not saying the fee is ok- it's certainly hefty, and hard to bear... But that's the way it is .... Like check out USA renunciation fee - that would be humongous...
The US citizenship renunciation makes sense because you choose to do so probably to avoid the stupid double taxation... but India doesn't recognize dual citizenship and the Indian Citizenship is automatically devoid the moment we took the oath of Canadian Citizenship. So for practical purpose it's just a fee to surrender the Indian Passport. Well, just have to surrender, wouldn't bother with OCI until we decide to go on a longish visit to India... not any time soon...

boltz

Jul 30, 2009
boltz said:
Can ne one tell me - if I should submit 4 xerox copies of ex patch document (eg., PP, etc) - one each for a family member ( family of 4 - self, spouse, 2 children) for OCI appln?

The checklist asks for spouse PP, parents PP for children.

Or if I'm submitting all 4 applns together, 1 copy of my PP will suffice together?

Thx.
Ne body?

cprak0

May 25, 2010
Ottawa
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
21-05-2011
boltz said:
I haven't begun the process yet. But if I were you, I would send photocopies of all passports. Not sure if they consider even a family appln.

boltz

Jul 30, 2009
cprak0 said:
I haven't begun the process yet. But if I were you, I would send photocopies of all passports. Not sure if they consider even a family appln.
I understand I'll need to take photocopies of all of my PPs. What I'm not sure is if I need to take 4 copies of each PP. one for self, one on spouse appln, 2 for children's applns.

Same Q for other docs like citz cert, copr, canada PPs, indian PPs, address proof, etc.

I'm confused.

Any body who has applied in the past, pls answer. Thx.

gjp

Star Member
Feb 15, 2008
Each application should have its own set of copies. In your case, yes 4 copies of each document.

Canadiandesi2006

Champion Member
Mar 6, 2014
Visa Office......
Scarborough, Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 2015 (Re-applied)
OCI process is very tedious and painstaking. Have tons of patience to get OCI and thru BLS.....

1) For each Indian passport to surrender, the fee is about $300 + required documents + wait for weeks to get an acknowledgement. The Indian passport is returned with "Cancelled" stamped plus a photocopied paper called "Surrender Certificate".

2) OCI (Another pain in the neck process) after paying about $300 fee (95% of the people go thru this terrible process helplessly)

a) Ambiguous procedures / requirement (Each BLS agent in the same office, interpret the same rule differently)
b) BLS makes thing very complicated - However diligently you follow the rules unless BLS make you visit their offices at least 5 times, waste average 3 hours on every visit, NO one get it right.
c) If you are persistent and prompt, it may take about 3 months time, LOT of patience,
d) Shockingly surprised - 95% of the users of BLS services faces this terrible level of service. Each one had more painful experience than other.

I really wish you all the best in dealing with this totally Chaotic Service called - BLS. ***Dont mean to scare you but fore warn you.

Exports

Star Member
Aug 10, 2015
FOR REDUCING THE SIZE OF THE PICTURES FOR UPLOADING FOR OCI, THIS LINK COULD BE NECESSARY THEN YOU CAN DOWNLOAD AND INSERT THE JPEG IN WORD AND CHANGE TO PDF. ( THEY NEED THE PICS TO BE LESS THAN 30 KB AND DOCS LESS THAN 500 KB WHICH IS NOT POSSIBLE IF DIRECTLY CONVERTING TO JPEG AND THEN IN PDF THRU SCANNER)

http://bestrix.blogspot.com/2013/05/how-to-reduce-photo-size-less-than-20.html

One can apply for " surrender " and " OCI " same time also. The agent can accept surrender receipt as proof to apply for OCI. Before that you have to UPLOAD ALL THE DOCS AND TAKE SCREEN SHOT. I GUESS YOU HAVE TO BE LUCKY IF THE AGENT SERVING YOU IS GOOD AS MOST OF THE AGENTS BEHAVE AS TYPICAL INDIAN BABUS!

ORIGINALS DOCS SUCH AS INDIAN PASSPORT, CITIZENSHIP CERTIFICATE, CANADIAN LANDING CERTIFICATE, SURRENDER CERTIFICATE ( IF ALREADY ACQUIRED ), MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE IF NO SPOUSE NAME IS NOT MENTIONED HAVE TO BE SUBMITTED AND ARE NECESSARY.

IN ADDITION TO THIS, SPOUSE LANDING CERTIFICATE WITH INDIAN PASSPORT WHICH HAS LANDING VISA IS NECESSARY. ( THIS IS BECAUSE CONSULATE WANTS TO CHECK IF ANY OF THE FAMILY MEMBER IS ON REFUGEE STATUS OR NOT)

TAKE ALL RELATED ORIGINAL DOCUMENTS PLUS COPIES SO THAT THE APPLICANT DOESN'T NEED TO COME BACK.

ALL DOCS SUCH AS PP COPY SPOUSE + APPLICANT IN PDF HAS TO BE UPLOADED.

DON'T FORGET TO TAKE THE SCREENSHOT WHICH IS NECESSARY WITHOUT WHICH THE AGENTS DON'T ACCEPT AT ALL.

boltz

Jul 30, 2009
gjp said:
Each application should have its own set of copies. In your case, yes 4 copies of each document.
Thx gjp... I called bls call centre earlier today, and they said the same thing.

boltz

Jul 30, 2009
cprak0 said:
The US citizenship renunciation makes sense because you choose to do so probably to avoid the stupid double taxation... but India doesn't recognize dual citizenship and the Indian Citizenship is automatically devoid the moment we took the oath of Canadian Citizenship. So for practical purpose it's just a fee to surrender the Indian Passport. Well, just have to surrender, wouldn't bother with OCI until we decide to go on a longish visit to India... not any time soon...
Makes sense - with USA, 'you' are surrendering the citz... With India, you are 'denied' (so no option other than surrendering) anyways...

InEdm

Star Member
Nov 9, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-06-2010
AOR Received.
20-11-2010
File Transfer...
30-03-2011 Detroit
Med's Request
20-11-2010
Med's Done....
05-12-2010
Passport Req..
18-07-2011
VISA ISSUED...
Passport sent..
I am putting up application for my family and so far had 3 visits to BLS.

My daughter had PIO ( Issued in Mexico and expired in 2013). Should I apply for a fresh OCI or OCI in liu of PIO?

BLS people are confused and no answered so far. I have both application ready and waiting ....

Thanks for any input.

boltz

Jul 30, 2009
InEdm said:

My daughter had PIO ( Issued in Mexico and expired in 2013). Should I apply for a fresh OCI or OCI in liu of PIO?

BLS people are confused and no answered so far. I have both application ready and waiting ....

Thanks for any input.

No surprise to know bls is confused... The are always confused and confuse applicants. I had 1 such experience with call centre agent recently... Such immigration illiterates I'd say, the bls staff are.

PIO to OCI... No fresh appln. So, it falls under 'OCI miscellaneous'
Also pio to OCI fees (~35$) are far less than new OCI (~300$).

boltz

Jul 30, 2009
InEdm said:

Thanks for any input.
Why 3 visits, if I may ask?

PolarSpring

Dec 11, 2015
I can see the way BLS is treating its applicants. Its very pathetic.
Anyone please guide me -
(1) It is mentioned in the form to give details of Canadian PP for Surrender Certificate. At one place it is mentioned "Canadian PP, if held". So, do we require Canadian PP at the time of Surrendering/cancelling Indian PP?
(2) Again, at one place it is mentioned that they give Visit visa for 6 months and another place it is mentioned 3 months & 6 months. So if one applies for visit visa, will it be for 3 months or 6 months? Is there any option to apply for 1 or 2 years?

Thank you.