+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

SHIVAAY

Star Member
Oct 27, 2016
Good Morning Everyone,

I got a new passport for my 5 year old. She has an OCI from before, I guess i need to update it with the new passort. Is it an online update process or do I need to go through BLS again to get a re-issuance of OCI done? the process online is not very clear so all help is appreciated.

Thanks

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Good Morning Everyone,

I got a new passport for my 5 year old. She has an OCI from before, I guess i need to update it with the new passort. Is it an online update process or do I need to go through BLS again to get a re-issuance of OCI done? the process online is not very clear so all help is appreciated.

Thanks
https://www.cgitoronto.gov.in/page/oci-renewal-and-updation/

Reissuance of OCI cards will be done only in following cases:
  1. In case of issuance of new Passport (once a new passport is issued after completing 20 years of age).
  2. Upon reaching the age of 50 years, one need to update the photo and other personal particulars in the OCI portal after obtaining a new passport. No new booklet will be printed. After that only passport number and photograph is to be updated whenever you get a new one. Please visit https://ociservices.gov.in/welcome .However, one can travel after updating the particulars and acknowledged.
  3. In case of change of following personal particulars: Name, Father's name, Nationality, Date of Birth
  4. In case of loss/damage of OCI card
In all other cases like:
  1. Further issuance of a new passport,
  2. Change of any personal particulars : photo, address, contact details, occupation, spouse name;
-you now no longer need to apply for a renewed OCI card. You can now simply update your details on the OCI portal as follows and continue using the existing OCI card:

*visit https://ociservices.gov.in/welcome

Reactions: SHIVAAY

gagansodhi

Jul 10, 2017
Hi,

My question is regarding the surrender certificate so not sure if this is the correct forum.
What is the status of my application that tells me that the application has been processed and I can go pick up my surrender certificate from BLS?

Current Status: The surrender certificate has been printed.

Thanks.

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Hi,

My question is regarding the surrender certificate so not sure if this is the correct forum.
What is the status of my application that tells me that the application has been processed and I can go pick up my surrender certificate from BLS?

Current Status: The surrender certificate has been printed.

Thanks.
Ready for Collection is the status.

Reactions: gagansodhi

rushi.gada

Champion Member
Jun 24, 2019
Hey everyone,

Just wanted to give you a quick update—I picked up my surrender certificate today in person. I got to the Brampton location around 2 pm and was sixth in line. When the doors opened at 3, there were about 15 more people who joined the queue. Honestly, the wait felt unnecessary, but at least it's sorted now.

In & out in 20 mins

Cheers!

theontarioguy

May 4, 2018
Me and my family are planning to apply for OCI by post. Do we need to send our original passports and original citizenship certificates for the same? Or copies are enough?
Please advise.

coolak2007

Star Member
May 22, 2021
Canada
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
04-12-2020
AOR Received.
15-09-2020
Me and my family are planning to apply for OCI by post. Do we need to send our original passports and original citizenship certificates for the same? Or copies are enough?
Please advise.
Call BLS Brampton 647-846-4077, the evening is quick to get hold of someone. They are open late till 7/8 PM i guess.
No need to send original Passports, Only self attested copies as per checklist. Make sure they are legible/ readable. Photos (hard copy) should be same as you uploaded on OCI Government portal (soft copy). Ensure DD/MO amount is exact (Example - single applicant with pre-booked two-way postal needs $1.70 for BLS and another one $345 for CGI)

Reactions: theontarioguy

coolak2007

Star Member
May 22, 2021
Canada
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
04-12-2020
AOR Received.
15-09-2020
Call BLS Brampton 647-846-4077, the evening is quick to get hold of someone. They are open late till 7/8 PM i guess.
No need to send original Passports, Only self attested copies as per checklist. Make sure they are legible/ readable. Photos (hard copy) should be same as you uploaded on OCI Government portal (soft copy). Ensure DD/MO amount is exact (Example - single applicant with pre-booked two-way postal needs $1.70 for BLS and another one $345 for CGI)
Here is what we attached as a cover letter a few days back (awaiting Acknowledgement) - Single Applicant:
  • Checklist (signed)
  • Online Application form (signed)
  • Cancelled Indian Passport -Self-attested Copy.
  • Canadian Citizenship Certificate – Original Dated (Printed) copy dated..2023/xx/yy – Self-attested copy - we did oath online, was a PDF
  • Canadian Passport Copy of BIO Page – Self-attested
  • Surrender Certificate Copy - Self-attested.
  • Proof of Address in Canada indicating current address: Photo ID - Self-attested
  • Employment Letter – Canada – Self-attested
  • Marriage Certificate – Self-attested by both husband and wife
  • Spouse – Current Passport Copy – Self-attested
  • One (1) Color Photograph with white background 2x2
  • Fees – DD/MO Payment done in favor of “Consulate General of India – Toronto” for the Bank Draft____________________ dated ____________, AFX reference ___________, transit serial number _________________________, CAD 345 as well as,
  • Fees – DD/MO Payments in favor of “BLS International Services, Canada Inc.” for the Bank Draft____________________ dated ___________, AFX reference ___________, transit serial number _________________________, CAD 1.70

Vick3440

Nov 20, 2014
Hi Guys,

I did apply on 10th Jan 2024 at BLS Brampton and is under processing since 5th Feb 2024. I see in Toronto until last year consulate would receive with in 2-3 days within processing, for some cases even on same day, but now it is taking 10-14 days to receive after processing, so my question are they no more printing OCI cards here locally in Toronto or is there any other reason for delay between printing and receiving? Also I am travelling to India on 9th March, is there a possibility that I could pick it from Toronto consulate if they are ready before 9th March? Thanks for the help

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Hi Guys,

I did apply on 10th Jan 2024 at BLS Brampton and is under processing since 5th Feb 2024. I see in Toronto until last year consulate would receive with in 2-3 days within processing, for some cases even on same day, but now it is taking 10-14 days to receive after processing, so my question are they no more printing OCI cards here locally in Toronto or is there any other reason for delay between printing and receiving? Also I am travelling to India on 9th March, is there a possibility that I could pick it from Toronto consulate if they are ready before 9th March? Thanks for the help
9th March looks really difficult. You should have it in hand by 22-26th March.
There is never any logical reasoning for delay. If you ask they will give you vague response like too many application and all.